Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Jobs in New Zealand?

Options
  • 02-07-2010 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Is there any? In Civil/Structural fields?
    Approx how long does it take to get work once you are there?
    Where does one find this work i.e. contacts, internet?
    Is previous experience required to get a job?

Any info on this would be welcomed and appreciated...many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IHPA

Yes there are, but bear in mind that NZ has been affected by the recession too, and it's construction that has probably been dealt the heaviest blow.

To see some of the jobs available in New Zealand, go to the trademe.co.nz website. You'd also want to call on some recruiters. Use the Yellow Pages (yellow.co.nz) to find them. You want to be looking for work in Auckland, at least initially.

Yes, if you want to beat out the locals, you'd need some experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 greenbrain

Thanks for your reply, very helpful...much appreciated! Good website and i've heard Auckland is the place to go.

I have two more questions:
    What is the opinion of Irish workers there, within the engineering sector?
    Are the kiwi's first choice for all the jobs?

Also if you know:
    What is Auckland like regards cost of living?
    Would you need a car to get around?
    Are there many Irish there?

Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IHPA

Hope you can find out some of your answers from other users. :-)

Auckland, generally speaking, has higher priced housing than smaller cities, so you pay higher rents too. You may have to live on the outskirts of the city to get a reasonable rent, and then you have the costs of commuting to work. You pretty much have to have a car in Auckland. There are trains and buses but they don't get you everywhere. Auckland is one of the most spread out cities in the world.

Yes plenty of Irish and plenty of Irish bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 greenbrain

Good stuff, thanks IHPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ckenn2

I'm the same boat as the thread-starter (civil engineer, with masters, no experience). I've been looking at New Zealand too. I spoke to some recruiters who basically said that without experience I'll struggle. They said even local graduates are having a hard time. A couple suggested I go to Australia and one said my best bet would be to get a couple years experience at home before coming. Told him it wasn't possible.

I guess its a struggle everywhere, I just wasnt filled with confidence from what they told me.

check out newzealandnow.govt.nz

A guy from the NZ immigration authority gave it to me. Has good info on jobs and immigrating etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement