Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent doesn't like us

Options
  • 02-07-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

so in the town where i am from there is one main estate agent and a few smaller ones.. the main guy has everything worth looking at. he is a bit uppity and for some reason has a set between my friends and i .. we are all renting and aged between 19 - 22. we were looking for a house last week and dispite calling to him office, leaving phone messages and texting him, he did not get back to us.
    however, he will rent a house to any one else that comes to him.. the way i see it, every body needs to live.. is there anything i can do? i cant go anywhere else , i need to rent here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

try daft.ie?

Estate agents, in my experience, don't like people our age. I don't blame them going by some people I have lived with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

smiles302 wrote: »
    try daft.ie?

Estate agents, in my experience, don't like people our age. I don't blame them going by some people I have lived with.

he has most the houses advertised on daft. its not as if we are crazy young people. all i want is a house i can live in comfortably.. dont see why just because we are young we are expected to live in dives. our rent money is the same as the next persons so i wish he would stop discriminating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

Its not that we dont like you, its that people of a younger age in their first tenancies tend to have a higher impact on a property and are more likely to default or break a lease.

The best thing to do is to have references prepared, work, previous landlord if possible and character. Send those through with your request. In your position you have to prove that you are a good tenant.

Hope that helps.

Mike

mprop wrote: »
    Its not that we dont like you, its that people of a younger age in their first tenancies tend to have a higher impact on a property and are more likely to default or break a lease.

The best thing to do is to have references prepared, work, previous landlord if possible and character. Send those through with your request. In your position you have to prove that you are a good tenant.

Hope that helps.

Mike

I understand all this, but I have been renting for the last year now. I left my second apartment after a number of problems with it, and my estate agent tried to get me to stay in it. I lost out on a 480 deposit, which is big to me. I then moved in with friends and he was unhappy about this, as if he tried to keep my renting on my own and my friends renting, because two houses is more money for him than one. He told me there were no 4 bedroom houses, then I sent in somebody else an hour later an they came out with a list of 4 beds. Surely this is unfair.

My first apartment was laft spotless. My second apartment I left after a month due to it being unlivable. My third house he deemed as wrecked, altho all that needed to be done was the carpets cleaned.

Also, we paid a 700 deposit for our house, the carpets needed to be deep cleaned after us, not because we went crazy and ruined them, but because they were just worn. A lampshade was broken and a pane of glass on a door was cracked. Accidents. Isn't the landlord supposed to take out of the deposit what he needs to and return the rest? And are landlords supposed to give 80euro towards cleaning at the end of a lease if the lease is 6 months or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you spot a place how about you put a letter in the postbox for the landlord, explain that the agent won't return calls to prospective tenants and that you'd like to rent the place.

You might get something that way if he's the only agent dealing with the best properties.

If your deposits are being unfairly withheld then open a case with the PRTB to get them back. You can't be charged for cleaning if it's normal wear and tear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

He sounds like an asshole to be honest. You should be fighting to get your previous deposit back not moving into another place he owns

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I understand all this, but I have been renting for the last year now. I left my second apartment after a number of problems with it, and my estate agent tried to get me to stay in it. I lost out on a 480 deposit, which is big to me. I then moved in with friends and he was unhappy about this, as if he tried to keep my renting on my own and my friends renting, because two houses is more money for him than one. He told me there were no 4 bedroom houses, then I sent in somebody else an hour later an they came out with a list of 4 beds. Surely this is unfair.

My first apartment was laft spotless. My second apartment I left after a month due to it being unlivable. My third house he deemed as wrecked, altho all that needed to be done was the carpets cleaned.

Also, we paid a 700 deposit for our house, the carpets needed to be deep cleaned after us, not because we went crazy and ruined them, but because they were just worn. A lampshade was broken and a pane of glass on a door was cracked. Accidents. Isn't the landlord supposed to take out of the deposit what he needs to and return the rest?
    You've lived in how many places in a year? You sound a little high maintenance.
    And are landlords supposed to give 80euro towards cleaning at the end of a lease if the lease is 6 months or more?
    Are they?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And are landlords supposed to give 80euro towards cleaning at the end of a lease if the lease is 6 months or more?

I've never heard this before? Where is this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Why on earth should they. If you received a house or an apartment in spotless condition, the least you should do is return the favour, even if you have fully paid your rent over the course of the lease.

clunked wrote: »
    Why on earth should they. If you received a house or an apartment in spotless condition, the least you should do is return the favour, even if you have fully paid your rent over the course of the lease.

im not saying i leave the place a mess, it was in a friends lease.

obviously the place is going to need to be cleaned, have you ever moved into a house without cleaning it first?!

no, im not high maintenance, just left when the lease is up, found better places with more affordable rent. some where nicer has always come up so i dont mind a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

-Put an ad in a local paper looking for a house to rent.
    -Find a house you like and ask the neighbours if they know the owners and if they would pass your details on to them.

(If anyone aske for you to go through an ea, tell them you refuse to deals with ea's - either they want to rent or they don't)

By the way, if the ea held your deposit, get onto threshold for advice. Either the house was worse than you said or he's pulling a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

no, im not high maintenance, just left when the lease is up, found better places with more affordable rent. some where nicer has always come up so i dont mind a change.

well you actually are but dont realise it. People on here realise I detest EA's but in fairness if I was this guy Id blackball you aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Victor wrote: »

Are they?

Completely agree with Victor - you sound like more trouble than its worth. EA are out to make money and either sell or get tennants for all the property on their books. They are business men and women, I don't believe for a second that this is personal - this is down to him not wanting the hassle it appears to be to deal with you based on your previous posts.

murphym7 wrote: »
    Completely agree with Victor - you sound like more trouble than its worth. EA are out to make money and either sell or get tennants for all the property on their books. They are business men and women, I don't believe for a second that this is personal - this is down to him not wanting the hassle it appears to be to deal with you based on your previous posts.

i dont think moving house is hassle? are you saying i should stay put when i can get a better deal in another place just to suit the estate agent and not cause him hassle? jesus, i do whats right for me, that doesnt mean im high maintenance.

im 22 years of age, i dont have money to burn, if i get a cheaper place that suits me better, yes , im going to take it. i dont appreciate your comments when you don't know the suituation. so i moved house, big deal.

D3PO wrote: »
    well you actually are but dont realise it. People on here realise I detest EA's but in fairness if I was this guy Id blackball you aswell

i love how you tell me im high maintenance going by a conversation on boards. keep opinions like that to yourself, you have never met me, you don't know what im like.

i moved into my first apartment in february of last year, i moved into my second apartment in november of last year, that apartment was a bad move as there were a number of problems, so i left after a month, moved into a house with friends. we then found a better house last month with cheaper rent an moved in here.

does that sound high maintenance? maybe i should have stayed in my second apartment to keep my estate agent and you happy? my apoligies.

i dont think moving house is hassle? are you saying i should stay put when i can get a better deal in another place just to suit the estate agent and not cause him hassle? jesus, i do whats right for me, that doesnt mean im high maintenance.

im 22 years of age, i dont have money to burn, if i get a cheaper place that suits me better, yes , im going to take it. i dont appreciate your comments when you don't know the suituation. so i moved house, big deal.

everybody is agreeing with the EA. You dont agree with us but perhaps, just perhaps were right and you cant see it ?

You want to suit you thats fine, but that doesnt translate to you being a good tennant. It translates to you being a pain to manage to the degree that your custom is not wanted.

People dont turn away good business, they do turn away bad business.

i love how you tell me im high maintenance going by a conversation on boards. keep opinions like that to yourself, you have never met me, you don't know what im like.

i moved into my first apartment in february of last year, i moved into my second apartment in november of last year, that apartment was a bad move as there were a number of problems, so i left after a month, moved into a house with friends. we then found a better house last month with cheaper rent an moved in here.

does that sound high maintenance? .

yes it does. Looking to move into a 4th place in 17 months is way ahead of the curve.

Im not trying to offend you. You made a post people are providing you with perspective. thats all.

yes it does. Looking to move into a 4th place in 17 months is way ahead of the curve.

Im not trying to offend you. You made a post people are providing you with perspective. thats all.

not everybody is agreeing with the estate agent.

well it is offending me. my second place hardly even counts seeing as it was a dump and i dont see why anyone should have to live there. i lived on my own from feb til january and then moved in with friends. i don't see it as such a big deal, its a renters market these days. i can move where ever i want to be honest and i dont think i should be called high maintence because i look for a better deal.

im sure u are faced with suituations where you have to make decisions and pick the better deal for yourself. its all the same.

no reply necessacary as your comments are irritating me becuse you cannot see from my point of view.

my second place hardly even counts seeing as it was a dump and i dont see why anyone should have to live there. .

thats not the point. The fact is you moved in. So you either didnt bother viewing or didnt view properly.

take yourself out of your shoes and put them in the EA's. Hes going ah this guy is trouble keeps moving out causing me hassle having to rerent etc.

I dont know you i dont know the EA, ive no reason to side with one over the other.

I hate EA's i think they are lazy, lying fu*ks. Fact remains if I was him I wouldnt want the grief of dealing with somebody that has lived in 4 diff places in 17 months thats all.

thats not the point. The fact is you moved in. So you either didnt bother viewing or didnt view properly.

take yourself out of your shoes and put them in the EA's. Hes going ah this guy is trouble keeps moving out causing me hassle having to rerent etc.

I dont know you i dont know the EA, ive no reason to side with one over the other.

I hate EA's i think they are lazy, lying fu*ks. Fact remains if I was him I wouldnt want the grief of dealing with somebody that has lived in 4 diff places in 17 months thats all.

6 month leases are 6 month leases for a reason... if ea's and landlords didnt want the hassle, why don't they ensure they have 1 year leases and more

• Advertisement

but if it makes you feel better, i do see where you are coming from. i just think the person renting the house can decide all they want whether and when to move. they are the ones who have to live in it, not the estate agent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

6 month leases are 6 month leases for a reason... if ea's and landlords didnt want the hassle, why don't they ensure they have 1 year leases and more

What normally happens is an initial 6 month lease- followed by a longer 1 year lease at a lower monthly rate- if both tenant and landlord are satisfied at the elapse of the initial shorter lease......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Also, we paid a 700 deposit for our house, the carpets needed to be deep cleaned after us, not because we went crazy and ruined them, but because they were just worn. A lampshade was broken and a pane of glass on a door was cracked. Accidents. Isn't the landlord supposed to take out of the deposit what he needs to and return the rest? And are landlords supposed to give 80euro towards cleaning at the end of a lease if the lease is 6 months or more?

I don't want to be giving you a hard time here - People just want to help you see why you might be perceived as more trouble than its worth. In this particular post you Mention the following:

1. Losing a deposit
    2. House being "deemed wrecked"
    3. Broken Lampshade
    4. Cracked glass in door
    5. Carpet cleaning

None of these are acceptable in isolation never mind all experienced from one client. Also you say "Isn't that what the deposit is for" Thats not what the deposit is for - the keeping back of a deposit is a big deal that should only be done if the tenant heads off leaving issue's behind them.

You are supposed to hand back the property the same way you got it ie fixing your "accidents". Wear and tear is fine.

If you look at all these together you are not an ideal client. This isn't personal and I am making informed opinions based on the evidence you have given here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Victor wrote: »

Are they?

Assume much? All from a few posts? You pass judgement on this poster? I'm pretty sure she is here for some advice and not scrutiny from you.

See above...

See above...

does that sound high maintenance? maybe i should have stayed in my second apartment to keep my estate agent and you happy? my apoligies.

Boards is great for advice, but you have to learn to ignore all the crap in between. Ignore the trolls and those who wish to make themselves feel better by judging others and giving them crap based on a few posts that is nothing out of the ordinary. Some people just love to get personal, for what reasons I don't know. Just ignore them ;)

I put the bullcrap in bold ;)
    I don't want to be giving you a hard time here - People just want to help you see why you might be perceived as more trouble than its worth. In this particular post you Mention the following:

1. Losing a deposit
    2. House being "deemed wrecked"
    3. Broken Lampshade
    4. Cracked glass in door
    5. Carpet cleaning

None of these are acceptable in isolation never mind all experienced from one client. Also you say "Isn't that what the deposit is for" Thats not what the deposit is for - the keeping back of a deposit is a big deal that should only be done if the tenant heads off leaving issue's behind them.

You are supposed to hand back the property the same way you got it ie fixing your "accidents". Wear and tear is fine.

If you look at all these together you are not an ideal client. This isn't personal and I am making informed opinions based on the evidence you have given here.

It depends really, it doesn't seem that bad. Carpet cleaning is quite common, damaged lampshade... it's a lampshade ffs. Cracked glass in the door should be dealt with immediately. That can lead to more problems. Why did you lose your deposit? Don't worry about the "the house is wrecked" comment, landlords can be arseholes, will sensationalise the condition a house is in to withold deposits and the like.

People will have less respect for things that don't belong to them, in general. It's not uncommon to find objects broken in a rented property. You may not have to replace the object but you do have to tell the landlord or EA immediately about it. They may ask you to replace it or they may just take it out of your deposit. That's fair enough.

Moving around from house to house is not that unusual, not in a student city anyway. If the house is substandard, or the lease is up, then it's all fine. What would worry people is you moving out with no reason. That's a loss of income to the landlord, you know?

It's quite possible the EA has had problems in the past with young groups of people and so is avoiding that scenario. It's just how it is. Why would they rent out a really nice place to young people? I know I wouldn't in general but it depends on the potential tenants really.

You don't recieve any money from landlords to clean the house, where did you get that from?

I suggest to just keep looking, ask the colleges do they have a housing list. Might get some nice houses on that. Go into the EA's office again and ask why they are not returning your calls.

If you have caused problems in the past with the EA, don't expect them to rent to you again, you know? Go to the smaller EA's too and see what they have.

Advertisement