Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career guidance

Options
  • 02-07-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Does anyone know of any good careers Guidances in Galway city or county? Im completely stuck. I have a Business Degree so I want a careers guidance to be able to tell me what I can do with my degree or what I can add on to my degree. I dont need someone to tell me to start from the very beginning again and do something different.

Has anyone been to the galwaycareersclinic.com place (on Taylors Hill)? I think the girls name is Clodagh Higgins. Iv heard she is major expensive though.

Help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I've been to cloadagh she is amazing and worth every penny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

There's a women in Forester Court that does career guidance. i think the website is www.careercoach.ie
    i thought she was good enough. just checked the price and she charged €250 for me but that was two years ago. she made me do an assessment online, and just asked me questions about what my interests are....etc, etc
    this was in my Leaving Cert year, but i think she does graduates as well along with people out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭fire_man

I went to the lady in fosters court,she was useless,she couldnt give me any advice,she could charge though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

fire_man wrote: »
    I went to the lady in fosters court,she was useless,she couldnt give me any advice,she could charge though.

one would have thought your career prospects are fairly obvious given your username

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Libra 2010 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any good careers Guidances in Galway city or county? Im completely stuck. I have a Business Degree so I want a careers guidance to be able to tell me what I can do with my degree or what I can add on to my degree. I dont need someone to tell me to start from the very beginning again and do something different.

Has anyone been to the galwaycareersclinic.com place (on Taylors Hill)? I think the girls name is Clodagh Higgins. Iv heard she is major expensive though.

I was going to go to Galway Careers Clinic but the price put me off to be honest. Haven't completely ruled it out but you it's a hard one to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭JoJo_27

I'm actually a guidance cousellor but based in Limerick.
    I'd recommend you have a look at the website www.careersportal.ie . You can to an "Interests Inventory" test for example and at the end it tells you the type of careers to consider based on your answers. Sounds simplistic but it's a good site.
    It's free and might be a good place to start. If you'd like to PM me for any individual questions feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Libra 2010

Thanks JoJo. I will look at that over the weekend. At this stage I've even stopped giving out CV's as I havent a clue of what even to apply for.

I've heard mixed things about that woman in Foster Court. And Clodagh is sooooo expensive. Like I couldnt afford to loose that sort of money, if she ended up being not that great.

Ooooo decisions decisions!!!

(You would think after 4 years of slaving in college would have made my mind up)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

is there not usually one at your college?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In the current jobs market, I'll give ye some careers advice, for free and all.

Don't waste time dreaming up fancy career ideas that might not have any vacancies in 'em.

Apply for everything you think you could vaguely see yourself doing.

Carve out a career in whatever industry you actually get offered a job in.

With a business degree, you could aspire to get into management within a few years, but you most probably won't get a management job until you've actually got some work experience.

If you want to get into higher management, you'll need to do a Masters somewhere along the line, but this will be most productive if you have some work experience first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If your not doing anything right now I would say take what you can get and apply for business admin or junior managers positions or whatever while your flipping burgers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 twinky3

Ya, i was looking at a few different ones to go to around Galway and i decided to go to Galway career clinic in the end cos a friend of mine used her. in fairness i was hard to please but she gave me loadsa free appointments after the test until she had sorted me out with a career choice. i'm happy out now and starting physio in Sept :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

JustMary wrote: »
    In the current jobs market, I'll give ye some careers advice, for free and all.

Don't waste time dreaming up fancy career ideas that might not have any vacancies in 'em.

Apply for everything you think you could vaguely see yourself doing.

Carve out a career in whatever industry you actually get offered a job in.

With a business degree, you could aspire to get into management within a few years, but you most probably won't get a management job until you've actually got some work experience.

If you want to get into higher management, you'll need to do a Masters somewhere along the line, but this will be most productive if you have some work experience first.

That is absolutely terrible advice

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I also disagree.

The reality of the jobs market these days, particularly in Galway, is that you're lucky if you get a job at all... and you can't afford to be too choosey.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

twinky3 wrote: »
    Ya, i was looking at a few different ones to go to around Galway and i decided to go to Galway career clinic in the end cos a friend of mine used her. in fairness i was hard to please but she gave me loadsa free appointments after the test until she had sorted me out with a career choice. i'm happy out now and starting physio in Sept :D
    How much did the galway careers clinic cost in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

looking for some advice from people who've recently used career guidance people in the city or close by. the likes of Clodagh Higgins is outside my price range, just looking for someone to advise me on changing from self-employment to private sector, PAYE employment in terms of things like tax, modern CV standards & styles, interview skills and aptitude tests etc. thanks for any info.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

That is absolutely terrible advice

I agree with your disagreement :)

'Do whatever you can get a job in' is great advice for a miserable life, living paycheck to paycheck drudging away in something you have no interest in.

The recession won't last forever, and the roles you get coming out of college do tend to steer the direction of what career you end up in. Spoken from someone who escaped a life of IT support. :)

To the OP, I would search for the jobs club in Galway(linky). I attended the one in Limerick and they really were superb, and free. They go right through your CV and do interview preparation also. I used them quite far along in my professional career so they are not only for the 'disadvantaged'.

They helped me get a role in an industry that I am much happier in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Why not Accountancy (CPA, ACA, ACCA)?

Being a qualified accountant will always stand to you and is a perfect add-on to a Business degree. You'll be exempt from some of the exams too. Accountants are always in demand whether to count profits in the boom or losses in the bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I agree with your disagreement :)

'Do whatever you can get a job in' is great advice for a miserable life, living paycheck to paycheck drudging away in something you have no interest in.

Ahh, you need to look at the dates on the posts.

I gave the advice that you're disagreeing with. I believe it was the correct advice to give in Galway in mid 2010, when there were virtually no vacancies around: I'm a professional with 15+ years experience in my field, but at that time I was dumbing my CV down so I could pick up marginally-above-minimum-wage temping gigs. Pretty much anyone looking to build a career at that stage needed to build it wherever they could get their foot in the door.

Since then, things have eased a lot in Galway. Now there is a lot more scope to look for a career that you might want. There are still limits, of course, due to the govt embargo in some jobs, and sheer levels of unemployment, but someone looking for a career has a better chance.

Re the most recent query in this thread about "someone to advise me on changing from self-employment to private sector, PAYE employment in terms of things like tax, modern CV standards & styles, interview skills and aptitude tests etc. thanks for any info."

I doubt any careers adviser can give you tax advice, talk to your accountant about that. You could try posting specific queries in the Work and Jobs forum if you have some (yes, that's a shameless plug for the forum I moderate! :) )

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Ahh, you need to look at the dates on the posts.

I gave the advice that you're disagreeing with. I believe it was the correct advice to give in Galway in mid 2010, when there were virtually no vacancies around: I'm a professional with 15+ years experience in my field, but at that time I was dumbing my CV down so I could pick up marginally-above-minimum-wage temping gigs. Pretty much anyone looking to build a career at that stage needed to build it wherever they could get their foot in the door.

Since then, things have eased a lot in Galway. Now there is a lot more scope to look for a career that you might want. There are still limits, of course, due to the govt embargo in some jobs, and sheer levels of unemployment, but someone looking for a career has a better chance.

Re the most recent query in this thread about "someone to advise me on changing from self-employment to private sector, PAYE employment in terms of things like tax, modern CV standards & styles, interview skills and aptitude tests etc. thanks for any info."

I doubt any careers adviser can give you tax advice, talk to your accountant about that. You could try posting specific queries in the Work and Jobs forum if you have some (yes, that's a shameless plug for the forum I moderate! :) )

Did not notice the dates, but funnily enough, I got my new job in 2010. I was also tempted to dumb down my CV at the time, but hung in there and got the job I actually wanted. Persistence is key to success in anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 gardenangel

Hi, im looking for a recommendation on a recommendation for a good Career Guidance advisor in Galway for Adults. also if you know how much roughly it costs. That would be great. Thanks

Advertisement