Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment Freeze - The Official Word

• 02-07-2010 3:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This information is accurate, correct and true as at 4pm on Friday, 2nd July 2010.

It is subject to change by the organisation at any time. If it is, I will post the changes on this thread as they become available.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Straight to it:

The PSNI announced a hire freeze yesterday.

They have agreed to honour any contracts that have been signed prior to this announcement.

This includes people who deferred from May to August.

This means there will be an intake in August, but it will be the last one of the year, and the last one before the freeze is lifted.

There are still places on the August intake to be filled, so keep everything you have crossed that you get "the call", because if you don't, then that's you done.

For those of you who are half way there with medicals and vetting, you will simply be put into a large cryogenic enclosure, and there you will stay until the freeze is lifted. When it is lifted, you will proceed from the point you were at before the freeze. You will not have to IST and AC again, unless you failed.

Bottom line: August is the last intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 drakes

I to was told by deloitte today all was fine with current applicants, i guess thats it over then. I passed the ac last month but have heard nothing since then am i completely shafted PSNI or do myself & others at same stage get put in the feezer

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Ah well, no point moping about when there is nothing that can be done about it... other than pinning a picture of David Cameron to a dartboard and letting rip.

Quick question, how does this affect applying for another force? I'm thinking of looking at Strathclyde as Scottish forces aren't affected by the current cuts - but they say you can't apply if you have an on-going application with another force. Should I just ignore that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Deloitte read this forum all the time, so...

@Deloitte - Bad form. You shouldn't build people's hopes up like that unless you've checked, double-checked, triple-checked... and then checked again. These are people's livelihoods and dreams you have in your hands.

You've never been shy about signing up to PM me in the past, so feel free to do so again with an apology to the people you have misinformed. I won't disclose who you are, but I will know if you are posting from the Deloitte IP address range, so fakers, don't waste your time.

notbrazil wrote: »
    Quick question, how does this affect applying for another force? I'm thinking of looking at Strathclyde as Scottish forces aren't affected by the current cuts - but they say you can't apply if you have an on-going application with another force. Should I just ignore that?

You are free to apply to others due to the hire freeze, but I believe you would have to withdraw your application to the PSNI first, and have a written acknowledgement to produce to the force of your choice. Once you put down "Withdrawn due to hire freeze" you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 kc29

At least its not a complete writeoff. We're still there guys. This freeze wont last forever and then we'll pickup where we left off.

PSNI. In your obviously well informed opinion, how long would you guess that this freeze will last?
    PS its just your own opinion we obviously wont hold you to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

So I guess if you have got your AC pass letter but no vetting forms through you are out of luck for the remaining places in August.

Only the ones who already received their vetting forms stand a chance of getting through that stage.

Bit harsh for the ones like me that are amongst the last to sit their AC's in the past week or two.

But heyho, at least its not back to the start when it kicks in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I think P.S.N.I. may have meant there were places remaining in August but these would be for applicants from last year - highly unlikely vetting and meds would be done on time for folks from C 16. Just my opinion of course....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Robocop_N.I

Bakerboy - from what psni said, even if you've received your vetting forms it doesn't matter, you need to have passed medical etc.

I'm gutted, I returned my vetting forms yesterday.

We just have to take it on the chin, be patient, and not give up.

Thanks for all your help PSNI.

• Advertisement

kc29 wrote: »
    PSNI. In your obviously well informed opinion, how long would you guess that this freeze will last?
    PS its just your own opinion we obviously wont hold you to it!

No less than 12 months. I don't know if you read that it costs £50,000 to take you from being an applicant to putting you on the street as an operational peeler.

Another personal opinion is that Matt Baggott is right. There are too many lazy cops sitting behind desks just putting in the years until retirement. They want and have an easy life... but that's not being a cop. Shame on any peeler who seeks out a cushy desk job to avoid the hard work it takes to be a good peeler. Matt Baggott is determined to get them back on to the streets, and he has two thumbs up from me.

delancey42 wrote: »
    I think P.S.N.I. may have meant there were places remaining in August but these would be for applicants from last year - highly unlikely vetting and meds would be done on time for folks from C 16. Just my opinion of course....

It doesn't take long to vet a single child with just parents and no extended families. I've seen people get vetted in as little as 2 months!

Just a quick one.
    My vetting forms went back over 3 weeks ago. If a medical came up soon and by some miracle the vetting forms came back before august, would i be considered for the last intake or does that only apply to the previous campaign?
    I have to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Presume anyone who sent back vetting and are put on hold will have to fill out the forms again when the recruitment starts again?

Maybe not such a bad thing I didn't get mine if that's the case.

Hopefully anyone who sent theirs back kept a copy for next time, I'm sure there is plenty off information required.

Well this all teaches me a lesson, don't wait so long thinking about going after your dreams. Missed last years recruitment because I didn't check the site until the day after it closed.

But I will remain hopeful that I have got this far on this attempt and just have a little longer to wait.

As Robocop_N.I says, We just have to take it on the chin, be patient, and not give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 drakes

PSNI I passed the ac last month but have heard nothing since then am i completely shafted or do myself & others at same stage get put in the feezer until recruitment starts again

drakes wrote: »
    PSNI I passed the ac last month but have heard nothing since then am i completely shafted or do myself & others at same stage get put in the feezer until recruitment starts again

You're not shafted, you've passed the IST and AC. That's a very good achievement. Now you just join the others in the freezer until they start hiring again.

kc29 wrote: »
    Just a quick one.
    My vetting forms went back over 3 weeks ago. If a medical came up soon and by some miracle the vetting forms came back before august, would i be considered for the last intake or does that only apply to the previous campaign?
    I have to ask!

Not enough time to clear Vetting unless you're an only child, single, and both parents are dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

psni wrote: »
    You're not shafted, you've passed the IST and AC. That's a very good achievement. Now you just join the others in the freezer until they start hiring again.

So basically everyone who hasn't failed their AC is still in the game? ie someone has just pressed the big pause button. Up to us all to sit back, and wait for someone, somewhere to push play. Guys it's not the worst news I suppose. Cheers psni.

Na i'm still fortunate to everyone still kicking and i have 3 other siblings.
    Guess i'm here for the long sit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 happyhelper

Thanks for the up-beat attitude and prompt information update - helps after that kick in the balls.
    Not enough time to clear Vetting unless you're an only child, single, and both parents are dead?

As does the humour.

Anyway folks, hopefully this is some mild mannered period of a political sh1t-storm which will result in massive budget increase for the PSNI - and does not turn out to be the long term "pause" it seems it will be.

Waiting for the smoke clouds to blow over................

Good luck to yee all with whatever it is you now have to put up with for an extra year - I am off to vent my unhappiness in the gym.

Out

• Advertisement

You are free to apply to others due to the hire freeze, but I believe you would have to withdraw your application to the PSNI first, and have a written acknowledgement to produce to the force of your choice. Once you put down "Withdrawn due to hire freeze" you should be fine.

So what way does that work with the rule of having to wait a year between appying for forces? As far as I know you don't count as having "applied" to the PSNI until you get past the AC as the first bits are ran by Deloitte (correct??) So say in my case I only got my AC pass yesterday so obviously I hadn't recieved any vetting or anything yet, would that still count as having applied even though I literally only just got my letter so maybe my name didn't even have time to make it on a PSNI list or whatever happens to it if you get my drift?

Would the one year rule be waived due to you withdrawing because of the freeze rather than you simply failed and are trying a different force?

Apologies for the questions psni, I'm sure you'll get more than your fill of them! I'm just totally confused as to what to do, Strathclydes always been an option in my head but I don't want to jump the gun and lose my place in this queue for when the freeze thaws :D

Thanks ever so much for the update though! Not the best of news, not the worst of news, but atleast finally it's reliable news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

I will second that. thanks for keeping us up to date PSNI.

I have already posted this but for anyone interested the Garda are having a recruitment drive soon. Check out the publicjobs website.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

So what way does that work with the rule of having to wait a year between appying for forces? As far as I know you don't count as having "applied" to the PSNI until you get past the AC as the first bits are ran by Deloitte (correct??) So say in my case I only got my AC pass yesterday so obviously I hadn't recieved any vetting or anything yet, would that still count as having applied even though I literally only just got my letter so maybe my name didn't even have time to make it on a PSNI list or whatever happens to it if you get my drift?

Would the one year rule be waived due to you withdrawing because of the freeze rather than you simply failed and are trying a different force?

Apologies for the questions psni, I'm sure you'll get more than your fill of them! I'm just totally confused as to what to do, Strathclydes always been an option in my head but I don't want to jump the gun and lose my place in this queue for when the freeze thaws :D

Thanks ever so much for the update though! Not the best of news, not the worst of news, but atleast finally it's reliable news :)

not stepping on toes here but i have been in contact with engpol many times to clarify if i can apply to psni and engpol at same time. the search recruitment database criteria of only applying to 1 force at a time only applies to english and wales forces as only english and wales forces use search database. so basically you never have to tell them or nitify them if you are applying to psni and you are allowed to apply to psni and your chosen english/wales force at the same time. scottish police may be different however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Psni,I would just like to thank you for all that you have done,and are doing to help those of us caught up in this.I can only imagine the PMs that have been sent your way.

Oh,and shame on all of those who believed "theinsider" and thought he was psni in disguise.....the grammar use and spelling was the give away!!Thanks for the back up ye hallions when I expressed my doubts about this clowns authenticity!

On a side note,is "theinsider" known to you,psni,as a previous poster or pesterer?.....lol peter piper,etc,etc...unintentional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Heard the news and just thought I'd pop in and offer my condolences to anyone waiting. I applied for An Garda Siochana over 2 years ago and got caught in the freeze, and still waiting for the call. The wait is awful, but for me now that it's nearly up I can say it will be worth it in the end if it's what you really want.
    Best of luck to everyone waiting for the call, and those of you that don't make the August intake, use the time to travel, or try your hand at something new and if it's meant for you then it will come around. Chin up, it's not a no, it's only a not right now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lucas21

I hope someone can answer my questions! i sent my vetting forms off about 4-6 weeks ago and have a medical in the upcoming week.... what chance do i have of being part of augusts intake??

does augusts intake refer to people from previous campaigns who have been waiting on vetting forms etc

for this campain that started jan 2010 when would of our intake been? the lettter i recieved said appointments would be made from oct 10 till march 11??

hope someone can help me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

lucas21 wrote: »
    I hope someone can answer my questions! i sent my vetting forms off about 4-6 weeks ago and have a medical in the upcoming week.... what chance do i have of being part of augusts intake??

does augusts intake refer to people from previous campaigns who have been waiting on vetting forms etc

for this campain that started jan 2010 when would of our intake been? the lettter i recieved said appointments would be made from oct 10 till march 11??

hope someone can help me!

Well, the August intake was supposed to be just for C15 (the campaign from last year) but now with all the craziness going on who knows if people from C16 will be included, hard to see vetting being processed that quickly however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

Adolphus wrote: »
    Well, the August intake was supposed to be just for C15 (the campaign from last year) but now with all the craziness going on who knows if people from C16 will be included, hard to see vetting being processed that quickly however.

I heard of someone being offered a place for August who was in the 2008 campaign (which opened early 08 - unsure of campaign number tho) let alone the 2009 or 2010 campaign. Could this be true or would any list not expire by now?

PSNI said that Aug still had places so if you pass the medical then maybe there is still hope for that call

Yes, but unless there are no people at all left on the merit list from C15 why would they need people from the next campaign. Although of course it is possible all potential suitable candidates from the C15 list have already been invitied to attend training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Azaka

Straight to it:

The PSNI announced a hire freeze yesterday.

They have agreed to honour any contracts that have been signed prior to this announcement.

This includes people who deferred from May to August.

This means there will be an intake in August, but it will be the last one of the year, and the last one before the freeze is lifted.

There are still places on the August intake to be filled, so keep everything you have crossed that you get "the call", because if you don't, then that's you done.

For those of you who are half way there with medicals and vetting, you will simply be put into a large cryogenic enclosure, and there you will stay until the freeze is lifted. When it is lifted, you will proceed from the point you were at before the freeze. You will not have to IST and AC again, unless you failed.

Bottom line: August is the last intake.

Once again, your postings are both informative and to the point. I certainly appreciate the info you've supplied.

I'm C15 merit 190-200's and I know there was another poster got the call from the same merit field a month ago, so here's hoping there's a few places left in the August intake.

If not, well, that's a bridge to cross if that's the case.

In the meantime, thanks again PSNI

Yes, but unless there are no people at all left on the merit list from C15 why would they need people from the next campaign. Although of course it is possible all potential suitable candidates from the C15 list have already been invitied to attend training.

I think the possibility of C16 candidates being invited to training in August are remote though in theory it might happen to a very lucky 1 or 2.

delancey42 wrote: »
    I think the possibility of C16 candidates being invited to training in August are remote though in theory it might happen to a very lucky 1 or 2.
    Just so I understand the lingo, C16 is the campaign which opened this year? And C15 is 2009? And so on?

If that's the case and some lucky ones from C16 get in in august then it'll be tight for time as they're still doing the AC for C16. It'd be unfair to offer someone from early on in the campaign over a late applicant just cos they were unfortunate in getting one if the later AC dates

Yes C16 is the current campaign. The more now I think of it the more unlikely it is that someone from that campaign will get the call as the induction day is not that far away. It would all have to be probably sorted a few weeks before that so they know who is attending.

Yes C16 is the current campaign. The more now I think of it the more unlikely it is that someone from that campaign will get the call as the induction day is not that far away. It would all have to be probably sorted a few weeks before that so they know who is attending.

True. Plus even the ones from early on in C16 must not even be at the medical stage yet. Unless someone can correct me.

And as I said earlier, I heard someone from C14 was issued a place for Aug which shows how long these lists can go on for.

beca wrote: »
    not stepping on toes here but i have been in contact with engpol many times to clarify if i can apply to psni and engpol at same time. the search recruitment database criteria of only applying to 1 force at a time only applies to english and wales forces as only english and wales forces use search database. so basically you never have to tell them or nitify them if you are applying to psni and you are allowed to apply to psni and your chosen english/wales force at the same time. scottish police may be different however.

I emailed Strathclyde last year to ask if the one year rule would apply for the PSNI, they simply said the rule applies to all police forces...
    I would just love to know if the freeze would make any difference to it, I get that as we stand if we're on some sort of (hopefully not) eternal waiting list, you can't apply to another unless you withdraw. But if you withdraw are you going to have to wait a year anyways? In the course of which the freeze could be lifted, and you've lost your place in the queue :rolleyes: Hardly seems fair that!

Surely they couldn't possibly take C16 candidates into the Aug intake if AC's weren't fully finished, as they couldn't have merit scores truely worked out yet? And also if we're to continue where we left off when the freeze is lifted would that not mess things up a bit? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I agree with you C16 applicants have no chance as this would open a can of worms from those who are at an advanced stage compared to other C16ers. there is no way you can scoot ahead when a merit list has not been drawn up..We are cryo'd like the rest of the C16ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

cesc77 wrote: »
    I agree with you C16 applicants have no chance as this would open a can of worms from those who are at an advanced stage compared to other C16ers. there is no way you can scoot ahead when a merit list has not been drawn up..We are cryo'd like the rest of the C16ers

Yeah Cryoed like Mel Gibson...yeah booooooooooi, drunk.

hypersleep_alien.jpg

C16'ers during the 'big freeze '

Hopefully they won't be frozen as long as Fry:

futuramaalienattack.jpg

melgibson200.jpg
    Dear God.

• Advertisement

Boys and Girls , check out your P.S.N.I supplied home for the next 12 months ( and possibly longer ) - hmm , I wonder does it have a mini bar ?1524925

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 zzz101z

so, after reading the posts and trying to work it out.... is the freeze def allowing us at vettting or med stage to start at the same point when the frezze is lfteted?

Tell me what part of that you need clarification on and I'll do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I passed AC a month or so back. Vetting forms also sent away a good few weeks.

Came in from work and read this. Heart just sank.

Appreciate help and support psni. Nothing we can do at all. Just wait and hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mal85

ah shucks, least if i have another 12 months to get fit for next years medical lol

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

zzz101z wrote: »
    so, after reading the posts and trying to work it out.... is the freeze def allowing us at vettting or med stage to start at the same point when the frezze is lfteted?

yes. it seems that way thus far. when the freeze is lifted those who have passed the a/c will continue to wait on vetting or medicals...or dear johns

VES86 wrote: »
    yes. it seems that way thus far. when the freeze is lifted those who have passed the a/c will continue to wait on vetting or medicals...or dear johns

Coul you immagine waiting a year/two, then out of the blue a DEAR JOHN.

shampon wrote: »
    Coul you immagine waiting a year/two, then out of the blue a DEAR JOHN.

My thoughts exactly! That would be my biggest fear out of all this. Although the only positive I can think from all this is that maybe if we do have to hang on in there for a year or so there might be enough people withdrawing and moving on to other thinks, so when it does start up again we'll all jump a good few places in the merit list... ya never know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the future

I feel pride as I am sure others do having come through the AC stage :)
    however I hope all is not in vain upon hearing of the fact there is a freeze..

My vetting forms are sent and I still hope that I progress as I am so looking forward to a wonderful career ahead..

Peace and Respect to all in the same boat and beproud of the fact that already we are winners :D

My thoughts exactly! That would be my biggest fear out of all this. Although the only positive I can think from all this is that maybe if we do have to hang on in there for a year or so there might be enough people withdrawing and moving on to other thinks, so when it does start up again we'll all jump a good few places in the merit list... ya never know!!

We shall remain in the process like some jobsworth civil serpent whose done 50 years service but still refuses to retire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement