Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composting - Greens and Browns

Options
  • 02-07-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - I just got hold of 2 old but sealed bags of bark mulch. It looks pretty decomposed.
    My compost heap is mostly made up of green material, despite putting in as much newspaper and cardboard as I can. Can I add some of the mulch to balance it out? I heard that composting bark mulch can suck up nitrogen, so don't want to rob my pile of N.
    Thanks for any advise!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

Hi Sounds like good stuff.

If the bark is well rotted it wont steal the nitrogen from plants. Things like fresh straw etc can steal the nitrogen. A good compost bin benefits from both the green and brown materials so I would go ahead and mix it in the best you can. We have (hopefully) a long summer ahead of us, so this should ensure the bark has really decomposed..

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks a lot Ian

Advertisement