Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Saddle Board from T&G Plank

Options
  • 02-07-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

I want to make a saddle board from some oak flooring I have - would need to be about a metre and a half long. Want to have it tapered down on both sides.

What tools should I be using here to make it as clean as possible.

I have a circular saw that is adjustable that I thought I would take to it, but it's too awkward to use with the clamps.

I'm useless BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

A bench plane with a sharp blade will do the job quite well. A No.5 jack - No.8 jointer used with the grain and take thin (almost see through) shavings, works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    I want to make a saddle board from some oak flooring I have - would need to be about a metre and a half long. Want to have it tapered down on both sides.

What tools should I be using here to make it as clean as possible.

I have a circular saw that is adjustable that I thought I would take to it, but it's too awkward to use with the clamps.

I'm useless BTW.

Maybe a stoopid question, but I assume its a complete solid oak plank and not laminate. Like DB said, a hand plane, or failing that an electric plane would do the job (I did something similar with an electric plane a few years back, cutting a large bevel for the frame of a display case, dont know how I did it exactly, but I did it! :p) A circular saw aint gonna work and would be very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Has to be planed as said above, but a good sander afterwards will give it the good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

As above, use a hand plane only- mark the required profile on the end grain and use a marking guage or a sliding square and pencil to mark your lines on the face and edges. Plane down to the lines, with the blade set for a deep cut initially and set more finely as you approach your lines.

Advertisement