Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the institute notes worth getting?

• 02-07-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

For those who have them through the courses that run at Halloween, Easter and Christmas. Are they particularly amazing or just notes? Same thing for the courses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

they're only amazing if u learn them;)
    a lot of people on here have a big thing against the institute so expect some negative responses:rolleyes:
    unless you're really struggleing i wouldn't bother with their courses. id just get myself some good revision books and learn from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The problem with those notes is they give you are large amount of them. Personally I find the teaching is better than the notes.

I got a stack of Biology notes from them and they were pretty much stacked with useless facts that weren't on the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its a tough question. Personally I have heard they are text books with some irrelevant material. They are also expensive.

My advice is Less Stress (Or a similar line of books) and the smaller, day long courses. Same notes for about a fourth of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

I went to the Institute last year....to be honest, some notes are brilliant - Corinne Gavenda's French and Tara Lyons' Chemistry are excellent - but others aren't. I did pass maths and pass Irish, and I wouldn't advise getting them, although Higher Irish are seemingly great...anywho, it all boils down to which teachers notes you get (there's a few teachers per subject) and personally the notes are useless without the teachers themselves as they'd often give extra info to write onto the notes themselves...

So if you've been given the notes by a friend, by all means take them, you could get something really useful out of them, but if you're planning on spending alot of money on them, get yourself a ReviseWise book!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

I went to the easter institute courses. I thought the notes were actually brilliant. I feel I wouldn't have done as well as I could without them. They gave me a real leg up because I had very little time to study throughout the year for personal reasons.

The best notes I got were from
    Geography-Regional(H) with Michael Doran
    Business-Option 2(H) with William Murphy
    Maths-Option 1(O) with Jean Kelly

The Ordinary Level Irish weren't great but they gave great predictions and amazing help with the oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I'd advise going if you have a bad teacher in a certain subject or are slightly weak and don't think you really need grinds in that subject.

I went for physics(A+B), Irish and business(B)
    all higher. the business teacher (Wille Murphy) gave me the A notes also.
    I would highly recommend going. each of the ones I went to were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

I got a stack of Biology notes from them and they were pretty much stacked with useless facts that weren't on the course.

what biology teacher was it? couldnt have been mona, her notes are the best

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

English ones are amazing....though they are my bros from 2001....so could have changed ha!

leesmom wrote: »
    what biology teacher was it? couldnt have been mona, her notes are the best

Wasn't a woman's name anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Dante

Delap's notes for history were quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Wasn't a woman's name anyway.

I think you mean the guy who keeps pushing his gay biology dictionary? I had him too, so useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Michael Doran's geography is excellent.
    I would definitely recommend it! I just went for it as a subject on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Victoria. wrote: »
    Michael Doran's geography is excellent.
    I would definitely recommend it! I just went for it as a subject on its own.

Same, Doran's notes are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Sweeney's notes for history were quality.
    She teaches english. You may mean cashell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Dante

theowen wrote: »
    She teaches english. You may mean cashell?

Fúck, didn't realise I said Sweeney, make that Delap***

Advertisement