Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobseeker's Allowance and Part Time Work

• 02-07-2010 4:03pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Here is a question that hopefully someone can help me with.

Been on Jobseekers Allowance for a few months and about 4 weeks ago I started part time night work which will be on and off for on weekends for a few months.

From my understanding of it, I can claim part of the Allowance if I'm not working more than 3 days. So I be entitled to 4-5 days Allowance if I working 2-3 nights on the weekend.

So I went in an explained this to them. They made the change in the system gave me the dockets you fill out and drop in on a Thursday and a form for my employer to fill out. I was told until the form was returned I would not be getting anything.

However I'm actually a contract worker, so I guess I'm in the self employeed category. I'm not actual employee of the company I get the work off.

So after speaking with the company I got the work off they said I can claim for casual work if I'm self employed. Simply get the correct form and fill it out and after you get means tested your sorted. So I contacted Social Welfare and they said they would send out the form I needed. A week later no form arrived so I went down to the social welfare only to be told that self employeed person's doing casual work are not eligible for any job seekers allowance. This is the exact oppposite of a friend of mine who is doing the same job I am was told. He got the form for self employment filled it out and dropped it back in and was told a means tester would come to this house and if the means testing went okay he would get the part of the allowance he is eligible for.

Who is actually correct?

I have been turning in those dockets for the last 3 weeks knowing I won't get payed until I get some sort of means testing performed but all the same have been getting them in on time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Azza wrote: »
    Here is a question that hopefully someone can help me with.

Been on Jobseekers Allowance for a few months and about 4 weeks ago I started part time night work which will be on and off for on weekends for a few months.

From my understanding of it, I can claim part of the Allowance if I'm not working more than 3 days. So I be entitled to 4-5 days Allowance if I working 2-3 nights on the weekend.

So I went in an explained this to them. They made the change in the system gave me the dockets you fill out and drop in on a Thursday and a form for my employer to fill out. I was told until the form was returned I would not be getting anything.

However I'm actually a contract worker, so I guess I'm in the self employeed category. I'm not actual employee of the company I get the work off.

So after speaking with the company I got the work off they said I can claim for casual work if I'm self employed. Simply get the correct form and fill it out and after you get means tested your sorted. So I contacted Social Welfare and they said they would send out the form I needed. A week later no form arrived so I went down to the social welfare only to be told that self employeed person's doing casual work are not eligible for any job seekers allowance. This is the exact oppposite of a friend of mine who is doing the same job I am was told. He got the form for self employment filled it out and dropped it back in and was told a means tester would come to this house and if the means testing went okay he would get the part of the allowance he is eligible for.

Who is actually correct?

I have been turning in those dockets for the last 3 weeks knowing I won't get payed until I get some sort of means testing performed but all the same have been getting them in on time.

your not going to get anything until you get your forms filled out check out their webpage
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx
    but realistically go back down to them and have another chat tell them they are giving you conflicting info and that you are the one suffering financially due to this

Advertisement