Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phone Socket wiring

Options
  • 02-07-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280577&page=6

Why was this thread closed? I had just asked a question on it last night, and the thread is now closed today - for no apparent reason.

Could this be re-opened please, or at least a mod to post up the reason the thread was closed.

Cheers.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

My guess is because the thread is old and was bumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Karsini wrote: »
    My guess is because the thread is old and was bumped.

But the thread is still valid, and was still open :confused:

Didn't want to start a new thread specifically about it, when there was already a thread there dealing with the issue

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Um... I cant see any reason except that it looks horrendously

a. illegal
    b. unrecommended

Now, I dont know much about this but if someone (other then you :)) can confirm that its not illegal and that you cant electrocute/damage yourself or damage your property by doing this, then I dont see anything wrong with the thread.

If it was a 3 year old thread it might be better to close it and start a new one but that one still seemed relevant enough.

DeV.

Ha! Its neither :)

Usually, an Eircom tech would do it, but there is no illegality / danger to doing it yourself!

There is plenty of info on that thread about others doing it, but not specific to my problem, hence the post :)

Sure there's even links (Eircom supplied) to wiring diagrams for customers showing how to wire the boxes correctly.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, I'll see why the mod locked it, it was probably the zombie thing...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

But the thread is still valid, and was still open :confused:

That's most likely because it dropped down through lack of interest.
    Didn't want to start a new thread specifically about it, when there was already a thread there dealing with the issue

From what I can see, the thread is 5 years old.

Information can change ect, in these cases it's best to start a new thread.

It was posted to 6 months ago, though its true that there may be more relevant info but it would seem it was active recently enough. Anyway I've asked the mods to have another look at it as I think its probably fine to reopen unless there is an issue.

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That thread is an excellent resource, and was the first result for "eircom phone socket wiring" in google last time checked.

Just because a thread is old doesn't mean it must be locked on sight.

People bump a thread like that because it attracts the attention of those who have previously posted in that thread and solved that problem already. I don't read that forum daily, but I would definitely respond to a post in that thread if I saw it, and could help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

May as well help you out here while we wait for it to be reopened :)

Use a multimeter to test each pair.

When the line is at rest there should be about 50V DC across them, and about 80V AC when ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Ah, okay.

I was just wondering about how information might have changed in five years.

• Advertisement

The mods have reopened the thread.

I guess we'll throw this thread on the "mods never rescind their decisions and are backed up by the admins and vice versa" pile. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

DeVore wrote: »

I guess we'll throw this thread on the "mods never rescind their decisions and are backed up by the admins and vice versa" pile. :)

DeV.

Tagged for later use in mod/admin conspiracy theory debunking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tomhappens

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

Nice one Dev.

You should put it on the "DeV can't see valid reason for locking thread, asks mods to review/validate decision/reasoning to locking said thread, and they unlock it" pile

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Probably would have saved a lot of time if the mods had just posted why they had locked the thread though.

Jonathan wrote: »
    May as well help you out here while we wait for it to be reopened :)

Use a multimeter to test each pair.

When the line is at rest there should be about 50V DC across them, and about 80V AC when ringing.

Why thank you - couldn't find that info anywhere! Or my eyes have deceived me...

Merci lots guys :)

Advertisement