Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on how to approach my childminder please

Options
  • 02-07-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a 4yr old who has just finished playschool and will start big school in september.
    I have a childminder who picked him up from playschool at 11.45 until 5.30, she offered to mind him during the school holidays at no extra cost but would be 3 more hours of minding my son. Which of course was very nice of her to offer.
    Today my partner text me saying that she wants 10eu extra a day for the holidays!! I have no problem paying extra but she suddenly just changes her mind like that and expects it to be ok.

I also received a text a week ago stating that she wants holiday pay, not sure how much she wants, she just text me asking if that was ok!
    so I asked to speak to her in person, but when I got to her home she wasnt there and her daughter was minding my son. So that couldn't be sorted out.

I'm not sure how to approach her because I think she will not be happy with this confrontation. Its frustrating me because without a childminder I won't be able to work and because she is charging 30eu a day which is perfect for what I earn then I don't want to have to look for another childminder.

Any suggestions on how to approach this or what do I do?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

The first question I would be asking is what the hell she was doing leaving your child in her daughters care when she is the one paid to look after him!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Is she charging €30 for a full day? I think that's excellent, I pay €45 to a creche. And most childminders have to be paid during holidays and if the child is sick and cannot attend.

How old is her daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

The daughter is 17-18, she minds him whilst the mother goes and picks up the husband from work. childminder didn't tell me this when it happens either.

30eu is really good,I know..

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

The daughter is 17-18, she minds him whilst the mother goes and picks up the husband from work. childminder didn't tell me this when it happens either.

30eu is really good,I know..
    she is taking you for ride, she is allso a coward who wont confront you about money side of things, the question id ask is do you want some one like that to look after your little man? how long has she being looking after him? if it was me i would be looking up CHILDMINDING WANTED in local paper, there are loads of them out there who would love to help you out.im one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

I don't think this is acceptable at all.

1. She should not leave your child in someone elses care unless by prior agreement with you, and you should have the opportunity to meet these random people first to access should they be minding your child.

2. You had an agreement on pay, then she changes her mind without any discussion? I wouldn't just tell my employer that i wanted more money, thats very cheeky.

3. She wants holiday money? I don't know anyone that pays a childminder holiday money? I certainly don't nor have i ever heard of this. Also approaching this by text is not an acceptable form of contact for an issue like this. It sounds like she's trying to pull a fast one and avoiding the confrontation of going about this request in a more appropriate way.

4. You asked could you speak to her in person but she was gone when you arrived? This person sounds to me like she's not really dependable tbh. A teenager would flee the scene when they know they are in trouble but a person responsible for your child should be able to face you.

All of these added together would make me question whether she is worth the €30, and i think not. If you can't discuss in person maybe write her a letter and hand it to her/whoever is actually minding your child and ask for a written response by end of day when you collect your child. In the meantime check the babysitter available ads!!!

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

oohlala wrote: »
    3. She wants holiday money? I don't know anyone that pays a childminder holiday money? I certainly don't nor have i ever heard of this.

I think you will find this is a very common arrangement, my childminder does it and I think every person I work with/have worked with has had to do this. I did know of one childminder who didn't do it, or charge when you didn't take your child because they were sick and the general opinion amongst friends and family is that this is VERY rare. Only time my childminder won't charge for a day is when she or one of her own kids is sick and she doesn't want any kids in the house.

The way I view it is that you would expect your employer to pay you when you go on holiday and aren't carrying out your duties, and with a child minder you are effectively employing them to do a job and so holiday pay is fair. Also if you have a good childminder, as I am very fortunate to have, I don't begrudge giving her the holiday pay and have even been known to pay her for those days when she is sick and won't take the kids (because that day when I am going to be late etc I know she won't make a fuss about it).

I do agree though that leaving the kids with her daughter is a bit off. My CM will always tell me when she is going to have her mother/husband/mother-in-law etc look after them for a few hours which gives me the option of not sending them/picking them up early etc.

OP I don't think she is avoiding you deliberately, but at the end of the day she is looking after your kids, you need to have this out if you are not happy with the situation.

I would see a childminder as being more self employed then employed by me. I wouldn't give a taxi driver or the guy who cuts the grass holiday pay!!

Honestly whether its common or not i have never ever heard of holiday pay for a childminder and i think the text request is inappropriate manner in which to raise the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Text message is never a good way to sort this situation

However, holiday pay for child minders is common.
    If you worked part time in a company with variable hours you get 8% of hours worked for holidays, up to four weeks.

Realy, if you're going to pay someone to be a childminder, employment legislation doesn't disappear.

My parents minded many children and picked them up after school. Receipts issued, tax returns declared and holiday pay due.
    It's not difficult

Well perhaps if the op has such a formal arrangement with her childminder then holiday pay would be due. As i saiid in my previous post, i would feel a childminder is self employed and would not expect to have to pay for my childminders holidays. I simply drop my child off and collect at the correct times and pay the minder.

Oh and i never said it was difficult to work out, just gave my opinion.

Feelingstressed does have a point i feel with their employee legislation comment. Maybe you should ask nera if you have to or what is the story there? As i said i don't feel a childminder is an employee, but rather self employed 'letting' out their services so to speak.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

oohlala wrote: »
    Well perhaps if the op has such a formal arrangement with her childminder

But does she?

Our CM gives us a contract to sign, and any time new arrangements are agreed upon a new contract is produced. I'm sure these are available through childminder support services, and keeps everything clear for both parties involved.
    Perhaps this is something the op should look in to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Oohlala, could you give me a list of CMs that don't look for holiday pay?

Every creche and childminder (with the exception of relatives) used by my work colleagues, friends and myself has to be paid during holidays. I even have to pay my older children's afterschool fees when they are on midterm break!

Advertisement