Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarotov Vodka

Options
  • 02-07-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I went to O'Briens today and was looking for some cheap vodka for a night out, I came across a brand called Sarotov (Product of Ireland). has anyone here had any experiences with this brand? The address is on the bottle (11-12 Bow Street, Dublin 7)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think I have seen one called sarotov or saratov spirits and I think it was only 30% or so and hence the low price.

That is Irish Distillers address. I reckon most of these cheapo Irish/Scottish "vodkas" are really the waste products from the other spirit making processes. When making proper whiskey, rum (or proper vodka!) you will discard quite a lot of the distillate as unpalatable muck. The splits are called the foreshots, heads, middle cut & tails -there are several other terms for these but it is the more volatile stuff that comes off first then the good stuff then bad stuff at the end. Instead of discarding it I reckon they charcoal it to death amongst other treatments, like chemical treatment with bicarbonate of soda etc. Then it might just barely make the legal limits for methanol and other nasties -this is why cheap vodka will have a reputation for hangovers, while quality pure vodkas like skyy will leave you with a very clear head.

Does anybody know of legal limits for methanol or other byproducts of ethanol in spirits here?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MiCrOMaN1

Cheers Rubadub - very informative response, I reckon the hangover will be terrible. I probably should have gotten a more expensive one (less is more):D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Could be alright, I'm a cynical auld git at the best of times!

I would highly recommend skyy if you want a clean vodka.

Advertisement