Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay -v- Ghana, Q-Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Dunphy: Not cheating

I agree with Eamo, he knew he would get sent off or expected to be anyway, so he didn't cheat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Glad that cheat will not play another game in this World Cup as the Dutch will beat them , that said in a peno shootout you have to able to take a peno and it looked like the Ghanans hadn't practised them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He cheated Ghana out of a goal and if there was any justice he would not play in this competition again
    The punishment did not fit the crime. He doesn't cheat and Ghana are through. He brought chance into it. Disgraceful imo.

Of course the punishment fits the crime. He was sent off and they got a penalty. They missed it. So why are they out because of him?

Let me ask you this - if he had taken down a player clean on goal, had then been red carded and Ghana were then given a penalty...is he a cheater or just doing what's necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Suarez is finished with the World Cup, no? Straight Red - 2 match ban

Doesn't apply for the Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

What game were the RTE panel watching? worst game of the world cup? This is absolute nonsense, it was entertaining, attacking, dramatic, both teams tried to win it. The boys in the studio are dissing the game big time, to me it sounds like they've been watching too much footy, they're jaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I agree with Eamo, he knew he would get sent off or expected to be anyway, so he didn't cheat
    Cheat: To violate rules deliberately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,817 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry for Ghana - they deserved the win and what a double whammy to lose on penos twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

If Ireland were in the quarter finals of the World Cup, with the ball going past Robbie Keane in the last minute unless he makes an easy save with his hands, I would be absolutely ****ing furious if he just let it go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Het-Field wrote: »
    Im not going to moralise too much. However, Suarez is and was punished. Ghana had a chance to right the wrong, and Suarez will not represent his country in a World Cup Semi Final, which on tonight's performance will be the last big game Uruguay will play at this tournament. On the other hand, Henry cheated, there was no equalisations, and Henry got to bring his team to the World Cup Finals. At the end of the day, Suarez is nothing like Henry, and he has been punished for a professional foul.

As a Uruguay fan for the tournamnet, im delighted with the result, but Ghana would not have looked out of place in the Semi-Final.

I totally agree. I was really impressed with Suarez putting the team ahead of himself especially when he will not feature in what is likely to be their final match in the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

germany do it right eh?

2 bayern players only in the tem since january as Van Gaal had issues with the other players that were playing there.

Good research by Humphries :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Of course the punishment fits the crime. He was sent off and they got a penalty. They missed it. So why are they out because of him?

Let me ask you this - if he had taken down a player clean on goal, had then been red carded and Ghana were then given a penalty...is he a cheater or just doing what's necessary?

Ghana had scored. It was one hundred percent in. Not the same.thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He cheated Ghana out of a goal and if there was any justice he would not play in this competition again
    The punishment did not fit the crime. He doesn't cheat and Ghana are through. He brought chance into it. Disgraceful imo.

For God's sake. Uruguay were punished by losing a player (and a likely penalty taker at that) and conceding a peno.It was a professional foul. So much over reactions on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

lol at people calling Suarez a cheat the big difference is he was seen and punished , wouldn't be calling a cheat if Ghana had scored.
    i doubt there is any pro footballer that hasn't deliberately handled a ball at some stage are they all cheats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I cant believe people are trying to defend what Suarez did. If he didn't cheat and use his hands, it was a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

fisgon wrote: »
    What game were the RTE panel watching? worst game of the world cup? This is absolute nonsense, it was entertaining, attacking, dramatic, both teams tried to win it. The boys in the studio are dissing the game big time, to me it sounds like they've been watching too much footy, they're jaded.

Agreed. People will have to get over this "cheating" thing. Henry was a cheat as it was never equalised. Suarez was carded, had his world cup finished, and set Ghana up for a World Cup Semi Final.

THIS IS ONLY UP FOR DISCUSSION THANKS TO HENRY. THEY ARE DIFFERENT SITUATIONS AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS COMPARING LIKE WITH LIKE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I totally agree. I was really impressed with Suarez putting the team ahead of himself especially when he will not feature in what is likely to be their final match in the tournament.

My son said "he took one for the team".

hes 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

Again with the assertion that Ireland could have gone far if they had made it. Well it's moot since we're not there . It seems to be a recurring theme in the analysis and taking over at times from the subject of the game they're meant to be analysing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

dolliemix wrote: »
    Doesn't apply for the Final

I don't think it applies anyways. The FIFA regs state the suspension is for one match unless the disciplinary committee decide for a longer suspension. It'd explain why Kaka was allowed back to Brazil without a 2 match ban as well, at least I think he was out for just the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Henry/Maradona gave their side an unfair advantage and weren't punished.

Suarez didn't give his side an unfair advantage - he gave them a glimmer of hope, and was then punished. Ghana spurned the chance to make him pay. Ghana let them off the hook.

Ghana would never have been in that position if Suarez hadnt cheated.

I know Suarez from the Dutch league. Without competition he has been the biggest cheat in the league since arriving in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Suarez did what any footballer would do ffs.
    Although it was a handball it shows intelligence on his part to be able to save the ball with his hand. He saved his country and they will prosper from his selflessness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why are people giving out about Suarez?He did what any footballer would do at that point.If you're saying he cheats, every player does it then.Any time you take a player down knowing you're going to get a yellow or a red, but taking away the chance of a goal is cheating then, according to most of ye

Can someone please tell me why these clowns are talking about the young lads at Arsenal and City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Henry/Maradona gave their side an unfair advantage and weren't punished.

Suarez didn't give his side an unfair advantage - he gave them a glimmer of hope, and was then punished. Ghana spurned the chance to make him pay. Ghana let them off the hook.

he stopped a certain goal, to me that is some advantage. Ghana would be through now otherwise. Just admit he cheated and move on. FFS!!!

The lack of understanding of the English language in this thread is astonishing.

This is one of the definitions of the word cheat in the dictionary.

Cheat = To violate rules deliberately, as in a game:

Melion wrote: »
    I cant believe people are trying to defend what Suarez did. If he didn't cheat and use his hands, it was a goal.

Suarez knew well that if he used his hands he was off, and it was going to result in a penalty. The sanction for Henry was a place in the World Cup Finals. Im happy to defend Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol @ eamo

I hope all the people here defending Suarez were the same back in November when Henry did what any footballer would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Would you have just let the ball go in the net and let your country go out of the world cup or stop the ball from going in?
    FFS he did what any of us would do, stop moaning Ghana got their chance twice after that incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

dreamers75 wrote: »
    My son said "he took one for the team".

hes 9.

Obviously you're teaching him right.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Columbia wrote: »
    If Ireland were in the quarter finals of the World Cup, with the ball going past Robbie Keane in the last minute unless he makes an easy save with his hands, I would be absolutely ****ing furious if he just let it go in.

I'd imagine in the pressure of the moment it was pure panic and instinct!!
    I don't know him as a player tbh but most posters here seem to have him down as a good guy up until the incident...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

BBC:
    The last seven penalty shoot-outs at the World Cup, the team that began the series has emerged victorious.

I think some are getting confused with cheating and committing a foul.

He was punished rightfully for commiting a foul, ie handling the ball on the line.

Henry cheated, ie committed an act of fraud.

Baby infants stuff.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gutted for Ghana but very impressed by them, they have shwon everyone african heart and sportsmanship...

DeV.

Ghana had scored. It was one hundred percent in. Not the same.thing

Exactly. It's worse for his team because if he does nothing they are out. If he lets the ball go in, he is a fool. The Ghana players would have done the same thing in his shoes if they are sensible.
    inforfun wrote:
    Ghana would never have been in that position if Suarez hadnt cheated.

I know Suarez from the Dutch league. Without competition he has been the biggest cheat in the league since arriving in Holland.

It's not cheating imo. Yeah Ghana would have won the game and Uruguay would be out. Suarez gave his side a tiny shred of hope and in the end they won the game. He did the right thing.

He had no option but to stick out his hand to prevent the goal. The alternative was to allow the ball to go in. That is not what a footballer does in that situation.

I hope all the people here defending Suarez were the same back in November when Henry did what any footballer would do.

Very different and not-comparable at all.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think some are getting confused with cheating and committing a foul.

He was punished rightfully for commiting a foul, ie handling the ball on the line.

Henry cheated, ie committed an act of fraud.

Baby infants stuff.

It was a goal if he didnt use his hands, thats cheating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

If it was me I would have done the same thing, I'm sure as one of the commentators said it was partly out of desperation. Loved his reaction as he was walking down the tunnel and saw that Ghana had missed the peno, like the poster above said he puts the team ahead of himself.

Other than that it was blatantly never a free kick out on the wing in teh first place, the Ghanaian just went to ground with no contact so justice was served.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Gutted for Gyan.

But on the other-hand I'am delighted for Uruguay(betting aside :D).

Suarez's handball was just pure instinct and adrenaline-driven. Anyone would sacrifice themselves by blocking a last minute goal that way, and take a chance that the penalty would be missed. I know I would have. It worked. And his reactions after that were just before relief. Pure, raw emotion IMO.

Great game, arguably the best of the WC so far.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Very different and not-comparable at all.

What Suarez did tonight was a natural instinct, what any footballer would do. Just like what Henry did last November. Its the exact same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He cheated and was punished for it. Unfortunately in this particular scenario the rules don't appropriately punish the cheat. A goal should be awarded and the player sent off. If the punishment matched the crime, the player wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't get the Suarez hate. As Eamo said it was desperation more than cheating. He took the hit for the team and Ghana got a peno for it. I don't think anybody would have been able to resist raising their hand in the same situation.

RTE lads reckoned the game was terrible. I don't agree at all. Not the best quality but a good game for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Would you have just let the ball go in the net and let your country go out of the world cup or stop the ball from going in?
    FFS he did what any of us would do, stop moaning Ghana got their chance twice after that incident
    It should never have come to that. They scored a goal fair and square

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He did what he did because to not do it would result in certain defeat, to do it would result in uncertain defeat. Seems obvious to me.... he did it because the punishment is insufficent and favours it logically.

Still cheating imho...

DeV.

He cheated and was punished for it. Unfortunately in this particular scenario the rules don't appropriately punish the cheat. A goal should be awarded and the player sent off. If the punishment matched the crime, the player wouldn't do it.
    Fully agree, its another joke of a rule in soccer. In most sports if you do something like that the score is given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Dumb rule. The ref sees it clearly going in and red cards the offender. Penalty given. Should have blown the whistle was a ****ing goal, sent yer man off, and let Uruagay tip off.

Ghana 2
    Cheater 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It was a goal if he didnt use his hands, thats cheating

so If somebody fouls someone as there about to shoot is this cheating as he is denying them a goal

Pro. F wrote:
    I don't get the Suarez hate. As Eamo said it was desperation more than cheating. He took the hit for the team and Ghana got a peno for it. I don't think anybody would have been able to resist raising their hand in the same situation.

Agreed. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Those who say Suarez cheated, what should he have done? Allow the ball to go in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Football should award penalty goals if it's a clear hand stopping the goal imo.

Gutted for Ghana.

What Suarez did tonight was a natural instinct, what any footballer would do. Just like what Henry did last November. Its the exact same thing.

Not at all. Henry knew that if he got away with what he did the bounty was a place at the world cup finals. Suarez's foul was going to end his world cup, and possible do nothing for Uruguay. He was also deprived of the opportunity of taking a penalty, despite being a prolific striker. Did Ireland get a chance to right Henry's wrong ? No. Did Ghana get a chance to right Suarez's wrong ? Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

:rolleyes: Apples and oranges. You're not comparing like with like. Suarez was sent off and conceded a penalty. Henry was rewarded with a place in the World Cup. You simply can't compare the two scenarios.

• Advertisement
Advertisement