Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License fading

Options
  • 02-07-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭

The lettering of my license has transferred to the plastic sleave and is almost unreadable on the license, that said I now appear to have the much coveted "s" because of this

Can I get a new license?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I think John G had the same problem before. Search for his threads. As far as i can remember he took his out to photocopy it and it got stuck to the sleeve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Laminating cures the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A proper piece of embossed plastic like a credit card would prevent this in the first place,cost alot less in the long run as it would only be issued once to you ,store more info on a digital chip,and could be activated /renewed every 3,5,10 or 20 years with the same technology that does the liscenses now.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

When I had license abroad, it was the exact same format as the driving license and issued by the same people.

The new license will not last a year in my wallet.
    Does anyone know who to contact to get new ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A proper piece of embossed plastic like a credit card would prevent this in the first place,cost alot less in the long run as it would only be issued once to you ,store more info on a digital chip,and could be activated /renewed every 3,5,10 or 20 years with the same technology that does the liscenses now.

I have the same issue. Fading and lifting.
    I made a few copies but I'll name make a printing business:D

I'm going to apply fo r a mod for my .308 as I hurt me ears yesterday so I am going to get my VTR threaded and Moderated.

It might make it a nicer shooter too 20" barrel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Half of the text on the paper came off mine and stuck onto the inside of the plastic envelope.

Now, if I separate the two it's like some freebie on a kids spy magazine, unreadable until you put it back in the envelope again.

Dark & ages come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

johngalway wrote: »
    Half of the text on the paper came off mine and stuck onto the inside of the plastic envelope.

Now, if I separate the two it's like some freebie on a kids spy magazine, unreadable until you put it back in the envelope again.

Dark & ages come to mind.

i'm going to get a new one for my .308 soon as I am getting a little S on the bottom corner.

That should get me a few extra weeks out of it :D

While I am in there i will state my case and ask a few questions about getting replacement licences if they get damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They are very poor quality, in fact I would go so far as to say they look amateurish.
    They have all the signs of a rush job done on price with no view as to the kind of durability needed on an outdoors license.
    Grizzlys suggestion is good as long as they make them properly robust, not out of cheapo thin brittle plastic.
    And if they have a photo of you, let that be printed on the license that would be the most secure method of matching shooter to license.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Photo was never a good idea IMO on the liscense.Or giving it out willy nilly to all and sundry who request it,unless you copyright it for one exclusive use only.IE for liscensing purposes and thats it.
    On the liscense there is too much detail anyway in clear print of you,and your firearm.All that info should be is that it is a FAC, your pulse no,and all the rest of the info is encrypted in a chip.That only the Gardai and a firearms dealer ,and an Post to pay for the liscenses have access to.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement