Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan 350z - What're they like as an everyday car?

• 02-07-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40

I test drove a 2005 Nissan 350z recently and fell in love with it. I was offered a reasonable trade in against my own car and was considering it but the high cc and tax has put me off.

I'm not to bothered about all out power or 0-60 times and I understand they're faster cars out their with cheaper tax etc like a Mitsubishi Evo 7/8 for similar money but I rarely see 350's on the road.

I've read plenty of reviews online and they all pretty much say the same thing. Fun to drive, comfortable and well built, all of which I'd agree with, albeit with a short test drive. However, they do agree that it is heavy and cumbersome for it's size, which I suppose gives way to the need for a big 3.5 litre V6 to move it from A to B.

My question is, what're they like as an everyday car? How do people find their MPG, with petrol only going up, my worst fear is getting even more friendly with my local petrol station!

On the contrary, if petrol is to go up, perhaps it is time to buy and enjoy a car like this or similar and sell it on in 6-12months time.

Thoughts/Opinions welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Bleedin Delish

Its a beautiful looking car I agree and if you found it great to test drive and have the cash then go for it the longer you think about it the more likely you are to settle for something that is more economical or rational... you only live once

On the other hand its not my money so you are bang on to ask about petrol mileage etc and so my post is pretty much useless so sorry for that I would just love to be in your position as I would defo buy it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Fallon2304

Thanks for the Input ;)

I am trying to rationalise it for myself, however as so often happens, mind over matter!!

I'm coming from a VVTL-i Celica which gives 30-32 mpg combined, again from what I've read the MPG on the nissan would be around 23-25MPG.

However, it's the huge jump in tax (€551 to €1566) that's taking the wind out of my sails!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fallon2304 wrote: »
    Thanks for the Input ;)

I am trying to rationalise it for myself, however as so often happens, mind over matter!!

I'm coming from a VVTL-i Celica which gives 30-32 mpg combined, again from what I've read the MPG on the nissan would be around 23-25MPG.

However, it's the huge jump in tax (€551 to €1566) that's taking the wind out of my sails!

If that sort of fuel consumption drop and motor tax increase makes the difference between yes and no, I'd advise against it.

There are many more costs - servicing, tyres, brakes, insurance etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I had a Kuro black 2004 350z for around 18mths and loved it. I commuted around 110kms per day on it (around 70% motorway, 30% city) and rarely strayed from 24mpg. The one thing I would say is that I'm around 6 4" and the seat was just about able to go back far enough - but given you test drove one you would have felt how comfortable it is for you.

The strut across the book can be restrictive at times and the tax was a pain in the ass but really I have little bad to say about it

Some are critical of the quality of the interior but again never bothered me

Spec is decent, xenons, electric leather seats, cruise control etc

I had no intention of buying one when I was changing my car at the time but got to test drive one and there was no going back. Then kids came along and the rest is history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I know the fella, he owns a petrol station and he changes cars more oftrn then socks.... Business booming i presume... On topic now: he owned alot alot of cars, from 530d to porches. When he got 350z we had a weewee chat. He loved it, he prefered it to bmw e46 m3, as it wad way better on back roads. He said: i love it when i sit insife of it, but i hate it when i look at it from outside.... He sold it anyway...

Its lovely car, but you really have to love it, if you agree to bite on that tax. Anather thing is: its a 2 seater. If you can live with it, its grand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I went from a VVTLi Celica to a 350z about 2 years ago and never looked back.

As far as I'm concerned, that Celica was far more appealing than it's Integra's counterpart... however...

Once I got into the Z, I was sold. All the annoying high rev bs that's associated with high rev FWD cars is eliminated almost instantly.

The torque from any power band is enough to sway anyone, I think, when comparing it to a Celica.

It's also a lot better looking and a lot faster in nearly every department. It's a really nice drive regardless of the situation in my opinion (suspension is no harder imo to a Celica) and I rarely have any issue with it.

It does very similar MPG (about 6 mpg worse) but the tax is the biggest issue compared to the Celica. Once you get over that you will never look back... as have I.

I've never regretted my choice and I considered it a natural progression from the low powered FWD to a (somewhat) high powered RWD.

Thanks for the input guys

This is the car in question.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/350Z/IN-SUPER/201018197918378/advert?channel=CARS

Perhaps my biggest fear apart from running costs and tax is trying to resist the temptation to try and improve it aesthetically, they are a lovely car stock, but look x10 better with some form of subtle kit and rear diffuser and nismo spoiler.

Here's another one I've had my eye on on donedeal

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1388504

I know the topic has been discussed before, but as they are a 2-seater converting to a 'van' presumably wouldn't be too much hassle/expense. Anyone know of it being done, and lets try not digress into the 'tax avoidance/evasion debate' - merely a thought.

Very, very tempted. To say the least!!

Now we're talking...

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/nissan/fairlady+z/4244185/

Don't think I could handle the inconvenience of importing a car, especially as it's an Automatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The blue one in Roscommon looks great. I've never seen a blue one - they're usually silver. I am curious about these and would consider one when next purchasing so thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement