Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I improve my article?

Options
  • 02-07-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

OK, seeing the competition is over and everything, I'm now going to ask for feedback on what I can do to improve my article ' Guide for Beginners. ' ( http://streetfighter.ie/?p=737 ) I'm asking because I intend uploading to SRK at some point and don't want to get slaughtered, so to speak. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Read lots of Sirlin.net, but be careful not to plagiarize* :pac:

(*not saying you are)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Off the top of my head, in the bit where you talk about not jumping, don't say that they should jumping because it's annoying. Talk about how jumping will get you killed.

that's the only thing that jumped out at me that I can remember right now. I'll try to have a read of it later and post more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Orim wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, in the bit where you talk about not jumping, don't say that they should jumping because it's annoying. Talk about how jumping will get you killed.

that's the only thing that...

horatio460.jpg

jumped out at me

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Somebody needs to explain this meme to me, I think I've seen it in three places now but I'm not sure because I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

At a basic level, you need to, or get someone else to proof-read. I gave up reading after your fourth spelling/grammar/punctuation error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Somebody needs to explain this meme to me, I think I've seen it in three places now but I'm not sure because I don't get it.

I hate CSI Miami, never watch it, and this is a pure distillation of why. Sonny Crockett must be spinning in his old folk's home (I presume he isn't dead).

I therefore approve of the meme. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

OK, seeing the competition is over and everything, I'm now going to ask for feedback on what I can do to improve my article ' Guide for Beginners. ' ( http://streetfighter.ie/?p=737 ) I'm asking because I intend uploading to SRK at some point and don't want to get slaughtered, so to speak. :pac:

Well, first of all, you shouldn't post that up on SRK. If you want to write articles, you have to learn how to express yourself properly and correctly: learn punctuation, grammar, and logic - in that order. You wouldn't try to communicate in Japanese without first learning how to; take that approach with writing. Good articles are written by writers who know and understand the subject they are writing about. If you can't understand or grasp a subject conceptually or internally, you can't hope to interpret that understanding, reorganize it, and lay it out to inform readers. Your knowledge of game theory is extremely limited and most of the article owes a debt to Sirlin's book; whereas, Sirlin knows the underlying principles that his words are based on, you don't and therefore, your article is shallow and a faint echo of Sirlin's work.

The best advice I've received was half a decade ago when out of kindness, someone destroyed my utterly pretentious and ignorant review of Barry Lyndon and said: "don't pretend to possess knowledge to appear smarter than you are, kid; stick to what you know". I'll just echo that statement.

Write about something you really know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Well, first of all, you shouldn't post that up on SRK. If you want to write articles, you have to learn how to express yourself properly and correctly: learn punctuation, grammar, and logic - in that order. You wouldn't try to communicate in Japanese without first learning how to; take that approach with writing. Good articles are written by writers who know and understand the subject they are writing about. If you can't understand or grasp a subject conceptually or internally, you can't hope to interpret that understanding, reorganize it, and lay it out to inform readers. Your knowledge of game theory is extremely limited and most of the article owes a debt to Sirlin's book; whereas, Sirlin knows the underlying principles that his words are based on, you don't and therefore, your article is shallow and a faint echo of Sirlin's work.

The best advice I've received was half a decade ago when out of kindness, someone destroyed my utterly pretentious and ignorant review of Barry Lyndon and said: "don't pretend to possess knowledge to appear smarter than you are, kid; stick to what you know". I'll just echo that statement.

Write about something you really know.

You must be fun at parties.

Anyways, the main problem I have Misty is I don't agree with you :)

You SHOULD jump alot if you are winning by jumping alot. If you find a weakness in your opponent you should abuse it until they stop you.

I have beaten many many Giefs by holding up and back and throwing out the appropriate kick for how they're approaching.

It's not "NEVER do X" in my eyes. It's "ONLY do x when you believe there is a high probability of the outcome being in your favour".

Just IMO. I know nothing about game theory either I just like SF :)

The comment:
    don’t spend the entire match jumping, its very annoying to play against.

is actually quite scrubbish if you think about it.

Why should someone stop jumping if they know it's frustrating you (and frustrated people play worse)?

Also, scrubs aren't wrong- it's ok to play a game just for fun. Our default position of play to win is not necessarily the right one. I play plenty of games just for fun.

The difference between me and a scrub is I appreciate some people want to play it professionally and I don't get angry when they steam roll me for not playing by my arbitrary rules.

So I don't think
    Scrubs are also the type of players who believe that competition is irrelevant and that its the taking part and the fun of it that counts.

is a fair comment either. I play a bit of resistance and my housemate plays CoD 42 and neither of us care about competition but both of us appreciate a good skillful player when we see one.

I could be madly rambling but there you go.

Anyway, off to lame the **** out of people at inferno!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I wouldn't post the article on shoryuken as I'm sure they have numerous articles covering the same topic in more detail. I'm pretty sure I've seen numerous articles on what a scurb is and it overlaps with what you saying.

As for the jumping around thing. Alot of players at a lower level of skill do that and you need to know how to counter it. It did indeed frustrate for a while but once I sussed out the counter it doesn't bother me any more and normally amounts to an easy win for me.

As for Doom saying use the tactics that work and only stop using them if your opponent can figure out away of stopping it, I agree with that, but you need proper tactics to fall back to once the shenanigans fail. At some stage if your playing players at a higher level of skill your going need to stop using those shenanigans and learn actual legit viable tactics. Your gonna just have to grin and bare some heavy defeats while you do.

• Advertisement

You must be fun at parties.
    True, it's not often you see someone asking for feedback on his definition of a scrub at parties. Your parties and shindigs probably differ from everybody's:

Ponce: "Great party, Doom-boy, bravo!"

Nutter: "Bravo indeed"

Doom: "Nut, a superlative if you will?"

Nutter: "A superlative?! Very well. This is the best party I've ever attended by using public transport"

Doom: "More wine for my distinguished guests, Placebo!"

Ponce: "Polish?"

Doom: "Maybe later"

Ponce: "No, is your servant Polish?"

Doom: "No, he just looks Polish"

Chunkis: "I hath arrived"

Doom: "Welcome Chunky, you're three hours late. Should I even invite you next time?"

Chunkis: "Do or do not. I'll still spoof my way in and-"

Doom: "What's all that ruckus?"

Ponce: "It's coming from outside"

Doom: "I moved here to avoid seeing the rabble of the general population"

Nutter: "Looks like two drunks fighting"

Doom: "I think it'd be fair to say that they took Street Fighter too literally"

Nutter: "Ho ho"

Ponce: "Astounding witticism, Doom-boy"

Doom: "Although, I'd say that's an avenue not a street. It raises the property values"

Chunkis: "One looks drunker than the other"

Doom: "I think it'd be fair to say that as a result he has FRAME advantage"

Nutter: "I don't get it?"

Ponce: "Jolly poor show!"

Doom: "Er, erm, hey Azza if you were down there you'd be dictating like a dictator!"

Nutter: "Ha ha stop or I'll crack the work done on my cheek"

Ponce: "Those dictator Azza jokes zing more than Dunphy on a Saturday night out in Lillies! Bra-vo"

Chunkis: "Alright, who wants to go to the off-license?"

Azza: "I can't"

Liquidswords: "I'll-"

Azza: "Second thought..."

Doom: "Chunky, climb down from that ceiling"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I... um... whatamireading.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I take it NeoKubrick and Doom know each other well?! Otherwise, wwhhaaaatttt?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

not that I am aware... but he could, either way, its either genius or just dim.....

Beno?

Don't know him from adam, or where the vitriol is coming from.

Anyway tis a silly post, i'd never invite azza to one of my wine tasting parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Chunkis: "Alright, who wants to go to the off-license?"

"
    Erm...you spelt off-licence wrong.

On a side note:

My review for Barry Lyndon(1974): Barry Lyndon rocks so hard!!!:D;):p:)

Disagree with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

animaX wrote: »
    I take it NeoKubrick and Doom know each other well?! Otherwise, wwhhaaaatttt?!

No, he doesn't know anyone as far as I know. He just reads the forums and makes an odd post like that once every couple of months.

Neo, do you even play fighting games? :confused:

Recent weirdness aside, his response to the original question was spot on. Harsh, but exactly what Misty asked for. I agree with him. I could add to it but there are already plenty of starting points to take from previous posts.

That's the last time I bank on the majority of posters here having a sense of humour or piss-take.
    Don't know him from adam, or where the vitriol is coming from.
    It was just taking the piss out of your "strawman" comment. If you inferred any vitriol, you really need to lighten up.

Barry Lyndon does rock, Ken B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

That's the last time I bank on the majority of posters here having a sense of humour or piss-take.

man, we don't know you enough to know your sense of humour!

• Advertisement

It was just taking the piss out of your "strawman" comment. If you inferred any vitriol, you really need to lighten up.

That would make you psychic as the strawman thing was after you posted?

Anyway if you think the above two posts do not come across as nasty then I would invite you to review your posting style as perhaps more poeple would pick up on your humour.

EDIT: No more of this on this thread, Misty asked for something and enough derailing as it is.

That would make you psychic as the strawman thing was after you posted?
    I was using ("strawman") your word which you used to describe my portrayal of you, to describe yours of mine ("You must be fun at parties."). Do not expect others to review their posting style if you're not going to review yours.

By the way, Misty and anyone else interested in writing, I forgot to link this helpful book by Harry Blamires: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Guide-Plain-English-Reference/dp/0140514309

It's generally free of grammar jargon and an excellent book to help beginners quickly write more coherently. It's ten years old now but at that price it's definitely worth it and still relevant.

I noticed you ignored my question.

Don't get me wrong neo, your post to misty was helpful and you gave some good advice on some tools for direct recording in that other thread.

Just honestly wondering as you seem to read the forums a lot , if you actually play the game? If so you should post your tag and get some games in with us, or come to some of our events and stuff like?

And Doom was just making a joke is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

implied-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

It's perhaps my favourite film(definitely in my top ten, at any rate).

You know ramza, I saw 'No country for old men' a few weeks back for the 1st time.

The conversation that takes place during that freeze frame of that pic there has resulted in that image losing all meaning for me. :(

Fucked up film.

Lads, wtf. I JUST said.

Dont post in this thread again unless it's on topic. Chaos is trying to do something here.

Ah I missed the mod warning soz, moved it to here so http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66750407#post66750407

since I'm waiting for an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

To reiterate what others have said, proof read your work afterwards to clean up any mistakes, like Street Fighter 2 Tutor.

I'm guessing the main focus of the article was overcoming the scrub mindset, which is good. When I was big into Smash I frequented Smashboards, basically Smash's version of Shoryuken.com, and the amount of players who complained of "lol cheap character" or "Tiers R 4 Kweers" (particularly hated that saying) was quite surprising. The Smash scene is kind of "scrubby" compared to Street Fighter (or at least was).

Anyway, going off on a tangent there. Yes, focusing on that aspect is good, but I noticed you stated how people might struggle with all the terminology associated with the fighting game community. Expand on the article and explain some common terms using this as a guide: http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2007/oct/21/street-fighter-terminology-acronyms-lexicon-and-glossary-guide/ or even just put that link somewhere in the article. Although chances are if someone is reading this off SRK, they'll know of Eventhubs, but not necessarily the terminology I suppose.

Hope my rambling was any help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement