Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you...

• 02-07-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

What would you do if you didn't get your first or second choice on the CAO?
    Go with the third choice? or mabye take a year out, repeat the leaving?
    Go on enlighten us :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EDude

Wont be gettin my first choice (medicine) but if I dont get my second ill cry! But more than likely repeat... and maybe chance med again?

to be totally honest ive no idea where i see myself in the next 5 years so im up for anything! the results will be fun... :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I have 10 choices for Level 8 courses, but if I didn't get one of the first three I would be very annoyed. I'm hoping that anything below number 3 is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

If your first choice is something you have your heart set on, and you really want to do it, but dont get that offer, maybe you should repeat?

If, however, your first choice is (like my first choice was) based on location, and where you'll have the most craic and choice of pubs and clubs, then maybe consider your second option!

I applied for Galway. Got offered Maynooth:o Dropped out after 6months, and went back to college 4 yrs later and did a 4 yr honours degree in something I really wanted to do.

If you dont get your first preference, just think very realistically about the course you are offered and if its something you really really want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'll take any of my 10 choices. I mean I chose 10 courses I'd like to do:) Hell I'd probably even take my Level 7 choice. I don't want to repeat and just want to get outta here as fast as possible:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I only put down 3 courses.

I didnt see the point in using up a place on a course that someone else may want. I wouldnt go to college just for the sake of it.

If I dont get any of them 3, Im just going to go working somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rororororororor

I would take any of the first 3, but after them the choices become VERY random, some I wouldn't mind, but they wouldn't be in the area i'd like to be in! But I think i'd rather enter a course I could possibly move out of then having to repeat that ever again!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I really wouldn't mind. All my 10 choices are perfect for me, with the exception of Arts, but its still good enough for me. I'm bound to get one of them!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Tbh, I hope to get my 4th choice now, coz its the closest to where I live, and I know Im gonna end up homesick plus i havnt even thought about accomodation :o
    First choice is earth science, it sounds amazing but i dont think i got my first choice, so its either UCD or Galway for me... if i get UCD i have to travel which will be exhausting, and if its Galway ill be looking for a place...

so overall, im happy with my choices and ill stick with whatever i get! Unless I end up with my Limerick choice, not a chance in hell of me going there, ill be repeating in that case :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

TBH, The courses I have down are courses I wouldn't mind doing so it wouldn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Killio9

stainluss wrote: »
    I only put down 3 courses.

I didnt see the point in using up a place on a course that someone else may want. I wouldnt go to college just for the sake of it.

If I dont get any of them 3, Im just going to go working somewhere.

GOOD MAN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I got my second choice last year, accepted it, and dropped out after about two months because I didn't realise how much I had my heart set on veterinary medicine. Dropped outta college, and I'm repeating in 2011. Don't settle for second best, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

Hey, first time poster to the LC forum.
    Wanted to input here.
    I did the lc a few *ahem* (7) years ago! Although it really doesn't feel that long. ;)

Anyway, when the CAO came out I got choice no. 5. At the time I was disappointed, but took it so I had something. Looking back on it now I realise it was the best thing that could have happened!
    I wanted primary teaching, but got secondary. In retrospect I'm so glad that I didn't get choice 1-4. Through my degree I got to sample what primary would have been like and I know that I wouldn't be doing it now.
    I think everything happens/works out for a reason. What might seen the end of the world now, is just another path to your future.
    Hopefully you'll get what you have your heart set on, and even if you don't get choice no. 1 have a go at whatever you do get. You never know, it could be the best thing that happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I got offered number 7 last year. Didn't accept it and repeated.
    I'd be happy with any of the 10 courses I have down and repeating was ne of the best years of my life.
    Happy out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

I didnt get my first choice (animation) cos I was chancing my arm with the portfolio, going to a certain PLC course to have a portfolio to apply with next year :cool::cool::cool:

So its allll good:p

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I didnt get my first choice (animation) cos I was chancing my arm with the portfolio, going to a certain PLC course to have a portfolio to apply with next year :cool::cool::cool:

So its allll good:p

I didn't get mine either for animation, where you doing the PLC course out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

If I don't get my first or second choice, at least I am already in a plc in Dundalk, and I'm just back from a plc interview for Media Production in Monaghan.

Tbh, theres a good chance even If I get my first or second choice, I'll turn them down for the plc in Monaghan[if I get in!]. So screw you CAO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I've already repeated and there is no way I can go through this stress again. So whatever I get, I accept and make the best of it! I believe everything happens for a reason anyway! :DAnd if I don't get offered anything...I'm moving to London to work anywhere! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mithrid

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    I've already repeated and there is no way I can go through this stress again. So whatever I get, I accept and make the best of it! I believe everything happens for a reason anyway! :DAnd if I don't get offered anything...I'm moving to London to work anywhere! :cool:

I feel the exact same way! Doing the ol' LC for the first time was really stressful but the second time almost made me lose my mind. I'm just taking whatever I get on my CAO!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I got my tenth choice last year. Was devastated but glad I got it now. Was probably the best thing for me and i'm still doing exactly what I wanted to do, just involved slightly more pressure in first year. Law through Arts ftw! :) I am now officially a Law and History student! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm wondering whether it would be better to take a course I sort of want and see what happens with it or repeat and get into a course I really want to do. Some tough decisions when the results come out >.<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Maestoso

My eight choices are made of two courses, so I'd be happy with any of my eight choices. :B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I didn't get offers any courses in 2009, wanted biotechnology. Did a PLC this year and now I'll shall starting biotechnology in DCU this September.

There's a way around EVERYTHING!

Advertisement