Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They Lied!!

• 02-07-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

One minute i like Eircom, the next minute they p*ss me right off.

I used to have a 7mb connection 2 months ago, and i was moving house in a few weeks at the time.

I rang Eircom up asking them if i could still get my 7mb connection for the same price etc. etc. because we wanted to stay with the same broadband.

They said that because we're existing customers, then we would still get the same broadband bundle as we had.

I moved into the new house and just got the phone in last week so i rang them up about the broadband. And they said that i couldn't get any more than a 1mb connection because i moved into a new estate. I've never heard of that in my life.......

I only moved like a kilometre away from my old estate.

But they said that a 7mb connection would be available "eventually"..........................I don't know what "eventually" means when I hear them say it....

I used to download, download, download constantly, and i needed a 7mb connection because it was nice and fast for me. I also play Xbox Live a lot. But so does my brother, and having 2 xbox's using Xbox Live with a 1mb is horrible, games lag up and i get disconnections constantly.

Is there anyway i can get a faster connection with eircom any quicker than they say?:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Either the estate that you have moved into is too far from the exchange to support a 7Mb line, or the exchange that you are now under isn't capable of supporting it. Unfortunately there is very very little you can do, you are probably not on an unbundled exchange as you can only get a 1Mb line (though feel free to check with other providers), so you have to wait until Eircom upgrade it. Depending on how many people are in the area, this could take years and Eircom will never give you a timeframe on when to expect it.

Your other options are to change technology. If you can get cable that will definitely be your best option. After that you could start looking at fixed wireless, I've never used it myself but it might be an option. As you're a gamer I would strongly advise staying away from 3G products, you would probably get better bandwidth but the RTT would make gaming difficult and the caps are quite low.

Sorry I don't have better news.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Line stats? always the best starting point (in fact the only one!) to look at possible speeds.

Eircom really should have qualified the answer they gave you by saying the possible speeds would depend on line quality. They didnt lie to you deliberately I'd say it was more a question of the csr not thinking enough abouit your situatioin.

And as a line had not been installed they really should not have given you a categoric assurance about speeds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gamercfc wrote: »
    I only moved like a kilometre away from my old estate.

Yeah you very likely did however cables may not be only 1km extra they could be 3km extra depending on how they are routed

Post your line stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

is this wat ur after:

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 44 dB /22 dB DSL Noise Margin: 29 dB /25 dB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

is this wat ur after:

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 44 dB /22 dB DSL Noise Margin: 29 dB /25 dB

yes thats it!! ermm i dont get how eircom tell you that only 1mb internet is avaliable on your line because it can well handle 4mb+ maybe even the full 7mb id kick up stink at them for that.
    :o

• Advertisement

jay93 wrote: »
    yes thats it!! ermm i dont get how eircom tell you that only 1mb internet is avaliable on your line because it can well handle 4mb+ maybe even the full 7mb id kick up stink at them for that.
    :o

Should I ring them up and tell them wat my line is? Maybe someone who knows what theyre talkin about (or knows what I'm talking about for that matter) will answer the phone. I'm guessing I fùcked up by sayin that i moved to a brand new estate, cause they might be trained to say the same things to that. "You'll get a minimum of 1mb because it's a new estate" etc. I might just say the simple "I'm on a 1mb connection and i would like an upgrade", and keep my mouth shut about the fact that it's a new estate lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the line may show a fault and be throttled for checks but the line stats are 7mbits worth for sure ( or most of 7mbits)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Should I ring them up and tell them wat my line is? Maybe someone who knows what theyre talkin about (or knows what I'm talking about for that matter) will answer the phone. I'm guessing I fùcked up by sayin that i moved to a brand new estate, cause they might be trained to say the same things to that. "You'll get a minimum of 1mb because it's a new estate" etc. I might just say the simple "I'm on a 1mb connection and i would like an upgrade", and keep my mouth shut about the fact that it's a new estate lol

They shouldn't care where you are living it basically boils down to what your line is capable of (unless there are genuine exchange difficulties).

Explain to them that you understand that your line stats suggest that you should be able to get a higher speed and ask them to upgrade you and if they say its not possible ask them to explain to you why its not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

maybe when you rang the last time you may have got a clueless person as it happens alot:p..lol yeah you could try just say that you want to upgrade and dont mention the new estate and see what happens your line can defo get more than 1mb maybe they just try to fob you off and ripp you for 1mb cos tbh 1mb is dire slow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

it could also be if it is a completely new line then its may not have had a proper test run on it yet. so the line should pass for broadband becase other numbers in the area also pass but they dont know what packages it can take until the test is run.
    they normally test the lines once every month or two.

you could always ring support and have them check what the line should be able to take, but even if the do say its more then 1mb its unlikly the sales section will have the option to upgrade the package until the line tests are done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Gamer by any chance is this a brand new phone line? I only ask as if it's a brand new line installed into the address the first time it's setup it displays on the eircom system as max speed of 1Mb. I had this issue and it happened to one of my neighbors. The suggestion she gave was to ring back in 24-48 Hrs and ask about an upgrade. The system should have been populated with the correct line stats. As I said I was told 1Mb also and 24 Hrs later I rang up and they were able to 'upgrade' me to 7Mb. Hope it helps.

W

Rang them up today now and yeah, I'm able to get up to 7mb. Delighted, should have it within 24 hours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Glad you got it sorted. Sounds like the same issue as we had. Congrats and happy surfing

Advertisement