Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema Club - Galway

Options
  • 02-07-2010 5:46pm

Would anyone be interested in setting up a cinema club for Galway - where each week we go to either the Eye or the Omniplex and watch something?

They have one in the film forum, so would be interesting to see if something similar would be good here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Moved to a new thread for a bit more exposure

/Moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

This is a good idea. We have something like this already running as a part of the Book Club, but with these things "the more the merrier" is the best policy, as both tastes and opportunities for going tend to vary wildly from occasion to occasion.

In any case, well done on the initiative, I hope you get a good response.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe - depends what sort of film's you're interested in.

Mr Just isn't into films, so I've not seen as many here as I usually would.

One thing we could do is each week we'll post up the movies shown, alongside a poll and people can vote on which movies they would be interested in seeing and the winner is the film that gets chosen.

The only downside is that a movie is not going to be for everyone - any other ideas on how to get something like this started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 elcy86

I'd go if it was in the Eye on tuesdays ..only 4 yoyos for students ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I think it's a great idea, I'd be up for it if i was at home; cinema's cheap on Tuesdays if you're a student...you could always post two options and then see which gets the most votes or something..

What i was thinking is that on the Friday I will post a poll for the new releases and the winner would be what is seen on the Tuesday. So in this case it would be between Four Lions, Eclipse and Shrek - though we could include Get Him To The Greek .. Or would it be better just to post the whole cinema listings and then vote on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

+1 sounds like a great idea... I love going to the cinema and munching popcorn during the week. I agree with LadyMayBelle, post 2/3 options from the Advertiser on Friday which people can vote on for the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sounds like something that would require commitment...I'm scared. It does sound like a great idea. If I had the time I would give it a go but am pretty busy with work at the moment. Enjoy!!

Its good to know there's some interest: would this tuesday (6th) be too short notice to organise it? This weeks choices would be eclipse, four lions and shrek 4.

Or would it be best to leave til next week (13th)?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

This looks like a great idea. Will there be pints somewhere after to discuss the movie? Seems abit pointless if everyone just fecks off after the movie:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I reckon this just needs someone (maybe 2-3 to provide holiday etc cover) to "just do it": Seems to me it involves:

1) deciding on a film (voting is a nice idea, but time consuming),
    2) telling people what it is, and where to meet
    3) showing up and introducing people who turn up to each other

If the theatre has allocated seating, you'd have to hand the cash to a nominated ticket-buyer beforehand. If not, then folks could all just buy their own tix.

IMHO, don't publicize the film & meeting place via a public forum: you will get some folks who have personal difficulties which mean they have difficulty interacting with a group, and you need a way to quietly-but-politely make sure they they don't come back a 3rd time (after you've give 'em one second chance). Removing them from the mailing list or blocking them from the Facebook group (or whatever) may be the easiest way to do this.

I once belonged to a dinner club like this: to other people in the restaurant it looked like a group of friends/colleagues, only the ones at the table knew that some people were new and didn't know anyone, some where old and friends. It takes a conscious effort from the leaders not to be cliquey, but is an interesting way to broaden your social circle.

But no, I'm not offering, got too much else on.

My 15c (=2 + inflation ;-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Excellent idea OP, Every sunday night meet at the lobby of the EYE around 8pm or whatever and relax at the Bar then a Movie.:)

Tugboats wrote: »
    This looks like a great idea. Will there be pints somewhere after to discuss the movie? Seems abit pointless if everyone just fecks off after the movie:confused:

I usually go to the Bar in the EYE before the movie as i work early on Monday mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

if there was enough of you, ye could contact the cinema and see could ye get a reduced rate or something. might knock off afew euro when there is guarenteed a crowd every week. maybe pick a quiet night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Steyr wrote: »
    I usually go to the Bar in the EYE before the movie as i work early on Monday mornings.

Silly me never knew there was a bar in the Eye!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Count me in! :)

I agree that voting for a film is slightly time consuming - 3days might be necessary, but it's slightly better than a sole person deciding for the group - not everybodies film tastes would be the same as mine.

So possibly have a private poll, so only I and moderators can see the winner, and have a newsletter style survey where i can email people with the decided movie, time and place (may be good to move between Eye and Omniplex as not everyone will be students). And anyone wishing to join can either PM me directly or post, and I'll add them to the mailing list.

Why not just go to the new releases as they come in that are remotely interesting/fun? Im off to see "Get him to the Greek" tonight and "Predators" next week, easy.

Steyr wrote: »
    Why not just go to the new releases as they come in that are remotely interesting/fun? Im off to see "Get him to the Greek" tonight and "Predators" next week, easy.

How was "Get Him To The Greek", Steyr?

OK - thinking of holding the first Cinema Club on Tuesday the 13th. If we do go to the Eye, I was thinking a good place to meet would either be in the Huntsman or in the bar of the Eye Cinema itself, so that people could meet before the movie and then head into the screen. The new releases for that week will be Predators or Eclipse, though we could throw in the new releases from this week to give more of an option, which would be Four Lions and Shrek 4.

As for the discussion of the movies, I guess we could go somewhere afterwards, or we could just have a dedicated thread in the Galway forum for it (moderators permission, of course, if it's not too encroaching on the Film Forum)

• Advertisement

How was "Get Him To The Greek", Steyr?
    Hi, I found "Get Him To The Greek" to be alright in parts, Puff Daddy was priceless, but other than that i cant stand Russell Brand in Movies, he is funny on his own in Stand up but not for movies.
    OK - thinking of holding the first Cinema Club on Tuesday the 13th. If we do go to the Eye, I was thinking a good place to meet would either be in the Huntsman or in the bar of the Eye Cinema itself, so that people could meet before the movie and then head into the screen. The new releases for that week will be Predators or Eclipse, though we could throw in the new releases from this week to give more of an option, which would be Four Lions and Shrek 4.

Thats a good idea.
    As for the discussion of the movies, I guess we could go somewhere afterwards, or we could just have a dedicated thread in the Galway forum for it

Personally id prefer a Thread for the Reviews but thats my Personal view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Pffft few drinks after, chatting about the film but also getting to know each other I think is better than a silly old thread. :p

Flojo wrote: »
    Pffft few drinks after, chatting about the film but also getting to know each other I think is better than a silly old thread. :p

Sounds good to me - whats the opinion of others interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Can i make a few suggestions?

I think that having the cinema outing every week might not be very realistic and not very sustainable. As in after a few weeks the novelty would wear off and people might stop coming.
    Also for more people to come than say 3 people i think once every two weeks would also be better because people are busy and maybe it's just me but going to the cinema every week might ruin the experience and make it a bit boring. Also having it every two weeks would give plenty of time for people to vote.
    Also it might be too late to mention this but this week the Film Fleadh is on and there is a world of films showing, spoilt for choice!

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Can i make a few suggestions?

I think that having the cinema outing every week might not be very realistic and not very sustainable. As in after a few weeks the novelty would wear off and people might stop coming.
    Also for more people to come than say 3 people i think once every two weeks would also be better because people are busy and maybe it's just me but going to the cinema every week might ruin the experience and make it a bit boring. Also having it every two weeks would give plenty of time for people to vote.
    Also it might be too late to mention this but this week the Film Fleadh is on and there is a world of films showing, spoilt for choice!

Valid point, which I was actually considering myself. Once every two weeks would give us two sets of new releases that we could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Also if ya don't mind, i think that you shouldn't put it on the same day as the book club or you might lose out on people showing up!

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Also if ya don't mind, i think that you shouldn't put it on the same day as the book club or you might lose out on people showing up!

Which day is the book club meeting? I was thinking 13th of July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

This sounds like a great idea! I'll definitely be coming along if I have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Which day is the book club meeting? I was thinking 13th of July

No worries then. Next Book Club meeting is tomorrow, the 6th of July. It takes place every other Tuesday, so as long as you keep the Cinema Club going every other Tuesday starting with the 13th, there will be no clash. (BTW, thank you if you do that - you are certainly not obliged to, but I do think that there may be a few people interested from the BC.)

• Advertisement

geekychick wrote: »
    No worries then. Next Book Club meeting is tomorrow, the 6th of July. It takes place every other Tuesday, so as long as you keep the Cinema Club going every other Tuesday starting with the 13th, there will be no clash. (BTW, thank you if you do that - you are certainly not obliged to, but I do think that there may be a few people interested from the BC.)

No worries, I think you're right with the every 2 weeks so the first one is the 13th, then the 27th and so on like that.

Advertisement