Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excellent service from eircom!!

• 02-07-2010 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

hats off to eircom!

2 days ago i was with vodafone for calls and broadband , line was moved to eircom yesterday. i ordered broadband with eircom today as i had not selected a broadband package with eircom, and broadband was not active on the line before the move... its active now a few hrs later! and very good ,

a quick call to their tech support to tweak the line to its max speed, done it over the phone, and excellent service from them.

very happy with service from them and from order it was about3 hrs for broadband to be active!!. amazing!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

They still suck regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Mac daddy wrote: »
    They still suck regardless

their service is a hell of a lot better than others out there.
    i think of the amount of time i wasted chasing up my previous service provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

From what I have read on boards they do not 'suck' any more than any other ....... and I have had years of reliable service with very few problems, as have lots of others.

Now if I could only get rid of their line rental ..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ingen wrote: »
    hats off to eircom!

2 days ago i was with vodafone for calls and broadband , line was moved to eircom yesterday. i ordered broadband with eircom today as i had not selected a broadband package with eircom, and broadband was not active on the line before the move... its active now a few hrs later! and very good ,

a quick call to their tech support to tweak the line to its max speed, done it over the phone, and excellent service from them.

very happy with service from them and from order it was about3 hrs for broadband to be active!!. amazing!!
    What speed are eircom giving you?

What speed are eircom giving you?

im back on my original speed 5120/512 but now on NGB package broadband advanced. I can squeeze a bit more speed out of the line as i have a bit of sn margin to play with..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Eircom are SHYTE....fact

im back on my original speed 5120/512 but now on NGB package broadband advanced. I can squeeze a bit more speed out of the line as i have a bit of sn margin to play with..
    I'm truly at a loss as to how Vodafone couldn't give you that speed over the exact same line.

I'm truly at a loss as to how Vodafone couldn't give you that speed over the exact same line.

yea so am i, to be honest its easier to ring eircom to change profile over the phone, they are good that way.... vodafone it took ages to do anything with them, they said they couldnt order anything above 3mb because my line can only take 4mb they said.. yet with eircom im on 5mb, and room for a little more.

to be honest the support with eircom is vastly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

+1 for Eircom
    I posted a question re a direct debit on their forum yesterday. Within a few hours, I got a phone call from them to explain what it meant. Bloody impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ingalway

I am always happy with Eircom support and after reading so many awful comments about support from other suppliers think they are way ahead in this area at least.

• Advertisement

The problem most people have with Eircom is their rip-off pricing, and recently the whole p2p issue. But they're probably the DSL provider with whom you'll have the least trouble with. I'm not saying you won't have a problem, but you're far more likely to get it sorted with Eircom than you would with another DSL provider, especially if it's a line or speed problem. I tried to get DSL with BT about 2 years ago and it was a minefield trying to get the line sorted. In the end I had to cancel the line, losing the ~€150 connection fee.

I suppose some might say you get what you pay for but you shouldn't have to pay Eircom's rates to get good service.

And to provide a bit of balance, I'm going to post a reminder about the eircom DNS episode where security weaknesses were exploited which left the majority of eircom broadband customers with unusable internet. They also communicated the situation poorly and left customers in the lurch as to when exactly their service would work again. They were also slow to even recommend alternative settings which cured the problem for customers. Boards.ie probably helped more eircom customers during that period than eircom did themselves!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671560
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

And to provide a bit of balance, I'm going to post a reminder about the eircom DNS episode where security weaknesses were exploited which left the majority of eircom broadband customers with unusable internet. They also communicated the situation poorly and left customers in the lurch as to when exactly their service would work again. They were also slow to even recommend alternative settings which cured the problem for customers. Boards.ie probably helped more eircom customers during that period than eircom did themselves!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671560
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608998

i was with eircom when this happened one night bout 1am was typing away on msn messenger then the internet goes down even the next day it was still down no word from eircom at all as to what happened i did not know of boards,ie at the time..when it finally came back i googled around and found out that their dns servers where hacked,what a bunch of complete t1t heads i dont know how they are still in business tbh..when trying to access sites the night their DNS was hacked every site i would try to go to would bring me to the site but only showed a half naked women on every page i was like WTF??also noticed before it went down connection speed dropped way down it was a once off but who's to say it wont happen again#!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

If Eircom's service was good, and you're happy about it, then it's fair enough to say it, after all you're the customer. Although their service should be good, considering they charge more than most other internet providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Yeah Eircom are a great company arent they.....:rolleyes:

Kev. wrote: »
    Yeah Eircom are a great company arent they.....:rolleyes:

whats that supposed to mean?

well they delivered what vodfone couldnt despite numerous orders, promises , etc, vodafone failed miserably, the support vodafone provided me was dire.

with eircom, i asked for something ( new broadband package) and it was delivered 3 hrs after ordering, now that is fast. in terms of changing line profile they did that over the phone too, with vodafone it takes days days and days ..

eircom provided me with what i asked for .. no more no less and very promptly too... isnt that what the customer wants? :rolleyes: all be it more expensive than vodafone, but support is better.

so shouldnt good service be highlighted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

whats that supposed to mean?

well they delivered what vodfone couldnt despite numerous orders, promises , etc, vodafone failed miserably, the support vodafone provided me was dire.

with eircom, i asked for something ( new broadband package) and it was delivered 3 hrs after ordering, now that is fast. in terms of changing line profile they did that over the phone too, with vodafone it takes days days and days ..

eircom provided me with what i asked for .. no more no less and very promptly too... isnt that what the customer wants? :rolleyes: all be it more expensive than vodafone, but support is better.

so shouldnt good service be highlighted?

Pity they cant deliver anything beyond the urban centres for people in rural areas :D broadband in this country is a joke unless you live in a city or a town and then you will get an adaquate service depending on how contended your area and service is :mad:

Pity they cant deliver anything beyond the urban centres for people in rural areas :D broadband in this country is a joke unless you live in a city or a town and then you will get an adaquate service depending on how contended your area and service is :mad:

think what we could have if the government gave a fraction of what they gave to the banks.... to improve broadband..

( assuming that roll out was managed properly by competent people :D)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

hats off to eircom!

Just wait until you get slowdown and absolutely no help from support and then your fed all sorts of BS stories.
    Enjoy it while it lasts.

Dcully wrote: »
    Just wait until you get slowdown and absolutely no help from support and then your fed all sorts of BS stories.
    Enjoy it while it lasts.

i had been a customer of eircom for years, and never once encountered congestion, or slow downs, even before NGB.. but then i was on a business package.

they are not perfect by any means, and i wish they were cheaper, but they seem to be the best, cuts out the middle man .. to be honest i have always found their business support to be good over all, .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Eircom deliver a broadband service to my rural area.
    It is a pity that UPC do not deliver their service to my area.
    It is also a pity I cannot get any wireless broadband products delivered either.
    I can get, and have, Eircom broadband for a number of years now.
    It is much cheaper than the alternative - satellite ! - the ONLY alternative!

So while I most certainly would like a better speed of broadband delivered to me, I fully recognise that hardware has its limitations.

A company whose coffers have been raped and plundered by previous owners can hardly be expected to invest millions/billions in non-competitive markets.

Maybe a company like UPC - who would be considered more profitable ..... should be expected to supply broadband to all areas?

Personally I would prefer to see the ESB get into this market and provide fibre-to-the-pole to all areas.

Until some other company decides or is forced to supply their services to rural Ireland we are stuck with one provider.
    My experience of that provider's service has been good, even though there are no real alternatives.
    If a viable alternative was available with better service and customer care I would switch today. Such a provider does not presently exist at this location.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

I'm not a big fan of Eircom. My personal experience is their service is poor. I suffer line drops on a regular basis. Eircom customer service is poor, they don't call back when they promised, can't tell me when the problem will be fixed and when you write a letter of complaint to the customer service department for them to resolve the issue they don't even acknowledge the letter or bother to reply.

:mad: -1 Eircom, shame on you.

I can't wait for my contract to expire with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

OP you do realise that the majority of issues other ISPs have getting you connected are caused by eircon in the first place? They are well known for forgetting orders, keeping line work until last if they do it at all and just not bothering. Please read up first before singing their praises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Condi wrote: »

just to be completely clear i do not work for Eircom or any isp or any comms company.

Ingen

Thanks for posting your initial experience

I hope it lasts mate,Heres the problem though...

Nearly everybody on here has had problems one way or another with Eircom,

In my opinion they are the biggest reason for the Country's failures regarding Broadband,
    There customer service is absolutely useless,they are overpricing there products,They block P2P,They are even touting this new product NGB haha

Hopefully they wont overload your exchange like they did in my case and hopefully you wont have to ring them up for hours on end to try and get an explanation from what happened or need proper Broadband in the future.

Furthermore if this does happen hopefully you wont have problems with trying to get your new provider in using Eircoms line.Or hopefully you wont have some tart on the line demanding your mobile number because you want to get rid of the Twats

Hopefully you will get why I hate this company but I will understand if you dont......

Furthermore I have had a quick glance through your posts

Nearly EVERY one is about Broadband

I like on page 3 of your previous posts you SLATE Eircom.....

Are you on a wind up or just a complete tard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

yea so am i, to be honest its easier to ring eircom to change profile over the phone, they are good that way.... vodafone it took ages to do anything with them, they said they couldnt order anything above 3mb because my line can only take 4mb they said.. yet with eircom im on 5mb, and room for a little more.

to be honest the support with eircom is vastly better.

Exact same situation here myself. I've had service from them at this location for almost a year now and any problem has always been quickly resolved. Never get any slowdown in speeds either. Friends on the same exchange with Vodafone are always having problems in the evenings with the speed. I'm also living out in the middle of the countryside, 10KM from the nearest town. Eircom are willing to do whatever you want with the ordering and line profiles. My line is also only able to provide the 3MB package according to any of the line testers (and thus other providers refuse to entertain the idea of ordering anything but a 3MBit package), yet I knew from my SNR that it was capable of much more, so Eircom put a manual order through for my 8M biz package and then we adjusted profiles. I eventually got them to put it on the full 8Mbit profile and let the router sort out the best speed as I wanted the highest upload possible for work. So now I usually sync at about 5120k down, 800k up. :)

Advertisement