Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire v Sony Eric. X10

Options
  • 02-07-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

any advice would be greatly appreciated, not sure which to buy! Im not a bit techie so go easy on me!

Leaning towards the x10 at the mo cause of the camera.

Will mosly be using calender, email, facebook etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I went for the Desire because of more powerful CPU & RAM iirc. A friend of mine was debating the same but went for the X10 because he's into video and wanted the better quality screen. Really depends on your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

maiden wrote: »
    Hi guys,

any advice would be greatly appreciated, not sure which to buy! Im not a bit techie so go easy on me!

Leaning towards the x10 at the mo cause of the camera.

Will mosly be using calender, email, facebook etc

You are leaning towards a device based on an feature you mostly wont be using? For the record the amount of mega pixels is secondary to the quality of the lens and flash so its never a case of 8MP is just better than a 5MP device.

Desire all the way man :)

The camera on the Desire is pretty damm good btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Thanks guys, is there a website that I can compare specs on both, side by side?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

google?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

You can do so on GSMArena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

youtube has lots of video reviews of almost any phone you can name

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Without a doubt go for the Desire.

The X10 is very poorly supported by the developer community when it comes to custom ROMs and the like (Something you will come to appreciate once you get an Android phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

x10s hardware does not support multi touch as well, even it is upgraded to 2.2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Trojan wrote: »
    I went for the Desire because of more powerful CPU & RAM

The CPU in the Xperia X10 & the HTC Desire are exactly the same.........they both run on a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon.

The Desire has slightly more available RAM and can hold more memory (32GB compared to 16GB) but the screen resolution and camera are miles better on the Xperia X10.

Raekwon wrote: »
    The CPU in the Xperia X10 & the HTC Desire are exactly the same.........they both run on a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon.

The Desire has slightly more available RAM and can hold more memory (32GB compared to 16GB) but the screen resolution and camera are miles better on the Xperia X10.
    Screen resolution is equal for all intents and purposes (Pentile Matrix aside it really does not affect effective screen resolution) and the camera on the Sony Ericsson isn't enough of a reason to go for it over the Desire. It has virtually no following when it comes to apps and customisations and two more nails in the coffin are no multitouch and Android 2.1 is still coming in September which will be around the time that Android 3.0 is going to be announced.

• Advertisement

Screen resolution is equal for all intents and purposes (Pentile Matrix aside it really does not affect effective screen resolution) and the camera on the Sony Ericsson isn't enough of a reason to go for it over the Desire. It has virtually no following when it comes to apps and customisations and two more nails in the coffin are no multitouch and Android 2.1 is still coming in September which will be around the time that Android 3.0 is going to be announced.

The screen resolution is better on the Xperia X10 and so is the camera (SE will always make better cameras then HTC). I just chipped in to dispel the fact that the CPU was better on the Desire when it actually isn't.

As for Android 3.0, that won't even matter in regards to the Desire or Xperia X10 because it is being developed mainly for next years higher spec smart phones that will run more powerful CPU's (Qualcomm's 1.5GHz Dual Core & Motorola's 2GHz CPU's are both in the pipeline).

The screen resolution is better on the Xperia X10 and so is the camera (SE will always make better cameras then HTC). I just chipped in to dispel the fact that the CPU was better on the Desire when it actually isn't.

As for Android 3.0, that won't even matter in regards to the Desire or Xperia X10 because it is being developed mainly for next years higher spec smart phones that will run more powerful CPU's (Qualcomm's 1.5GHz Dual Core & Motorola's 2GHz CPU's are both in the pipeline).
    Never mind Android 3.0 but how about Android 2.2? The Xperia X10 won't be getting 2.1 until september let alone Android 2.2

I highly doubt the 54 extra lines of pixels will make a discernable difference considering the X10 has a larger screen. Don't forget TFT vs AMOLED as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

Never mind Android 3.0 but how about Android 2.2? The Xperia X10 won't be getting 2.1 until september let alone Android 2.2

I highly doubt the 54 extra lines of pixels will make a discernable difference considering the X10 has a larger screen. Don't forget TFT vs AMOLED as well.
    Agreed. The Desire has a higher PPI count and thus it is better.

http://www.gizmag.com/review-htc-desire-vs-sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/14885/
    Screen

Desire: 3.7-inch 480x800 AMOLED touchscreen (252 pixels per inch) (1.9" x 3.2")

Xperia X10: 4.0-inch 480x854 TFT touchscreen (245 pixels per inch) (2" x 3.5")

Agreed. The Desire has a higher PPI count and thus it is better.

http://www.gizmag.com/review-htc-desire-vs-sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/14885/

Yet the link you posted states the opposite :rolleyes:
    The Screens

HTC Desire

What a bittersweet experience. When you first lay eyes on the Desire, you'll love the screen. Your home screens and the live backgrounds of Android 2.1 look absolutely gorgeous. It's once you start viewing photographs and watching video that the shortcomings of the AMOLED technology used in the Desire become apparent.

For some in-depth information about the shortcomings of the AMOLED screen, check out Ars Technica and Display Mate. Both articles are talking about the Nexus One's display, but it's the same display used in the Desire.

Xperia X10

Just...wow. I only need two words to describe the X10's screen - massive and gorgeous. You're not going to find greater pixel density outside of HTC's Windows Mobile devices. No matter what you're looking at - webpages, photos, video - it looks absolutely amazing.

Yet the link you posted states the opposite :rolleyes:
    Nothing to do with AMOLED. It's the pixel arrangement. The Desire/Nexus One both use a pentile matrix pixel layout which affects how you percieve the screen resolution. The effective screen resolution is still 800x480 though.

Advertisement