Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Moot Interest?

Options
  • 02-07-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Just trying to get a sense to see if there's any interest in forming a Wicklow pagan moot? If so, please PM me.

Or - if you know of one, or know where else I might gain some interest, please let me know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

ATTN MODs: We are going to be starting a monthly moot in Wicklow Town - would appreciate it if you could post details in the sticky thread? Details to be posted monthly here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WicklowPaganMoot/

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am happy to add the moot to the listings, can you give the details of where and when?

We haven't set exact details yet. The meeting will be held in Wicklow Town - (at our home most likely). We haven't picked a time yet - but we'll be posting those details on the yahoo group.

If you need to wait until more detail is set, that's OK. I am not sure about posting our home address on a public forum, though...

I don't think having it in a private home is a good idea.
    A lot of people won't go to a 'strangers' home and it's not a good idea to have strange strangers in you home either.

While I have to say the majority of pagans I have meet over the last 15 years are reasonable enough people I have meet several with whom I am more then happy to converse with in a public place but I would not want in my home or knowing where I live.

People do fall out and things can sour and you do get people who are troubled who are seeking, and I have been at a moot and had someone from Canada who was in the country less then 16 hours turn up having accessed the information on Yahoo and want to meet some irish pagans.

Just a few points to consider.

Thanks for the advice - well noted. I guess we're a little spoiled/naive having hosted many gatherings at our home in the US - but those were folks we had gotten to know over time.

I'll rethink the location (not familiar enough with the town to know of good alternatives that are family friendly) and get back to you. Meanwhile, if you could at least post the link we can at least start to get some interest maybe? Cheers.

• Advertisement

Well what to you mean by family friendly?

Most of the moots in Ireland tend to have an age limit of 16 and up, some have 18 unless accompanied by a parent.

Our moot is family friendly as in children are welcome with parents. One reason we are starting this one is because we are new to tue country and haven't yet found a group that is conducive to being parents of a 7-month old.

Well traditionally moots are not place for kids due a couple of reasons,
    the venues usually end up as a lienced premises as most community halls are in fact parish halls and won't take a booking for a pagan event or will charge a large fee for hirng the hall. If there is a local library which has a room for meetings that may be an option.

Also that due to the crossover/connections between paganism and what is seen as the occult in this country and the satanic panic in the late 80s and how the majority of teachers, care workers, socail workers have very little undertanding of paganism and of pagan parenting bring kids to a public pagan gathering can be problematical. I know of people who have had thier pagan belives used agasint them by thier exs and extended family to try and get control over the children and who have included that the children were exposed to the occult in thier complaint to socail workers.

Ireland has come a long way in the last 20 year but sometimes not long enough.

Also with a public moot even on a restricted email group you never know who will turn up and like I said the majority of people are nice and well meaning you do get some clangers ocassionally and not knowing who may turn up can put other pagan parents off as well.

There have been attempts over the years to get a pagan parents get together up and running but there was never enough intrest and I know it's crappy that a community should include it's youngest and oldest but often this is not possible.

America has a very different socail scene with many events which are children friendly and run during the day but Ireland suffers from lack of numbers and that so many people are still in the broom closet.

Now please don't take my posts as being all trying to rain on your parade, that honestly isn't the case and it could be you have enough intrested people and find a venue which is suitable. I would how ever consider changing the name of the meet up to something intead of moot, which tends to mean pagan adults usually in a pub and making clear that there may/will be children in attenance at the meetings as there are child free pagans who can get a bit sniffy at times at having to behave them sleves when there are little ears around.

Thanks for all the info, Thaedydal. This is all really useful and I'll consult with my better half as well as our contact at PFI to see if there might be a better way to handle our situation. I'll keep you posted regarding final details and so forth.

Thanks for all the info, Thaedydal. This is all really useful and I'll consult with my better half as well as our contact at PFI to see if there might be a better way to handle our situation. I'll keep you posted regarding final details and so forth.

If there is anything I can do to help do get in touch.
    Personally having two kids of my own it has sucked not being able to get out and invovled in the community when they were little and not having events to bring them to even now and to find other kids that they can mingle with and share some of the fun of being the only pagan kid in their class and the first two in the school.

I am planning to bring them to the Viking Village over the weekend in Dublin but while there will be a fair sprinkling of pagans there it's not really a pagan event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wisebirdjay

I am in Galway at present but am moving back to dublin soon and would be interested in being a member of a moot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wisebirdjay

Just trying to get a sense to see if there's any interest in forming a Wicklow pagan moot? If so, please PM me.

Or - if you know of one, or know where else I might gain some interest, please let me know!
    Merry Meet I am interested in becoming a member ..it wont be until the summer of 2011 but I am returning to the Dublin?Wicklow area from Galway. Please post me any inof youhave on the venture and may I wish you all bright blessings

Advertisement