Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental advice - am I being unreasonable ?

Options
  • 02-07-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Just went to view a house on Clanbrassil street. Its an old 4 bedroom house with 3 people currently living there. The condition of the place is fairly bad and the decoration is very old fashioned. The property consists of a hall, small/medium sized sitting room with kitchen attached (no wall inbetween). It has one box room, 2 medium sized rooms (one of these is available) and one largeish room.

The location is great and obviously a big attraction. However, when viewing the house I was very disappointed to find that the available room only had a single bed. The landlord wants 375 a month. I offered 350 and asked for a double bed in the room (in the past, in other rental situations, this has been no problem). The room is definitely big enough for a double bed.

The landlord was not receptive to the idea of putting a double bed in but said he would look at other properties in the area in regards to rent and get back to me. I happen to know that one of other rooms in the house went unrented for 7 weeks up until recently.

Whats my next move ? Am I being unreasonable ? Should I stick to me guns ? To be honest I would be happy to pay 375 if he stuck a double bed in...

Advice muchly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Tusky wrote: »
    Just went to view a house on Clanbrassil street. Its an old 4 bedroom house with 3 people currently living there. The condition of the place is fairly bad and the decoration is very old fashioned. The property consists of a hall, small/medium sized sitting room with kitchen attached (no wall inbetween). It has one box room, 2 medium sized rooms (one of these is available) and one largeish room.

The location is great and obviously a big attraction. However, when viewing the house I was very disappointed to find that the available room only had a single bed. The landlord wants 375 a month. I offered 350 and asked for a double bed in the room (in the past, in other rental situations, this has been no problem).

The landlord was not receptive to the idea of putting a double bed in and said he would look at other properties in the area in regards to rent and get back to me. I happen to know that one of other rooms in the house went unrented for 7 weeks up until recently.

Whats my next move ? Am I being unreasonable ? Should I stick to me guns ? To be honest I would be happy to pay 375 if he stuck a double bed in...

Advice muchly appreciated.

If it where me then i would stick to my guns.....at the end of the day 375 is a lot for a medium sized room in an old fashioned house especially in this day and age regardless of where it is tbh and its not unreasonable to ask for a double bed if you plan on staying long term then you want fairness for your money

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I'd hold out, you could get something much nicer for less money in a different location. It's unlucky the room will get snapped up. I'd say you have time to let him think about your offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

smiles302 wrote: »
    I'd hold out, you could get something much nicer for less money in a different location. It's unlucky the room will get snapped up. I'd say you have time to let him think about your offer.

unlucky = unlikely ?

Yeah - I mean, im really paying for the location rather than the house. A couple minutes walk to Camden street/Wexford street/the canal is a big bonus for me. I would be willing to forget about my problems with the house if it had a double bed. Im used to a double bed and dont want to be sleeping in a single bed - although from his tone it sounded like he wouldnt facilitate this.

All rent is paid directly to the landlord by each tenant (so noone in the house is in charge of it). I know one of the guys bargained the smaller room from 375 to 325. The largest room (which has a double bed) is going for 375. So with this in mind, I dont want to be paying 375 for a medium room with a single bed.

unlucky = unlikely ?

Yeah - I mean, im really paying for the location rather than the house. A couple minutes walk to Camden street/Wexford street/the canal is a big bonus for me. I would be willing to forget about my problems with the house if it had a double bed. Im used to a double bed and dont want to be sleeping in a single bed - although from his tone it sounded like he wouldnt facilitate this.

All rent is paid directly to the landlord by each tenant (so noone in the house is in charge of it). I know one of the guys bargained the smaller room from 375 to 325. The largest room (which has a double bed) is going for 375. So with this in mind, I dont want to be paying 375 for a medium room with a single bed.

just had a look at daft under shared accommodation max of 400p/m double bedroom in d2 and there isnt much is there :confused:

how about ranelagh
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=584453

edellc wrote: »
    just had a look at daft under shared accommodation max of 400p/m double bedroom in d2 and there isnt much is there :confused:

how about ranelagh
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=584453

That area is technically Dublin 8 though, not Dublin 2.

• Advertisement

i know but there are a lot of dodgy areas in d8 and if you want to be around the areas you mentioned then d2 is a better option and so is d6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Tusky, you're ammo in this situation is your references regarding employment and your character reference.

You tell him out straight that you can guarantee rent when that double bed arrives. Compare with whats available in the area for the price you are willing to pay and you have got him. Don't give an impression you are desperate for this room!

Cheers for the replies guys. If he comes back to me and says he wont put a double bed in I may offer to pay for half (think the cheapest ones are around 200 including mattress from ikea). If he refuses that then Im gonna walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

You could offer to pay 300/325 for the room without a bed and then buy your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

If the largest room has a double bed and is going for 375, and you're happy to pay that, why not just take that room? If it's because you want to try to pay less could you not barter for that room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

have you looked around the portobello area (v close to clanbrassil st) and its really nice area and im sure you would get something decent for similar money

smiles302 wrote: »
    You could offer to pay 300/325 for the room without a bed and then buy your own?

Dont think he would go for that.
    If the largest room has a double bed and is going for 375, and you're happy to pay that, why not just take that room? If it's because you want to try to pay less could you not barter for that room?

Largest room is occupied.
    messrs wrote: »
    have you looked around the portobello area (v close to clanbrassil st) and its really nice area and im sure you would get something decent for similar money

I'd rather not live with randomers though. I know one of the people in this house.

He called back today and we had a chat. Hes going to lower the rent and will get a bed once I buy and assemble it (I dont mind doing this). I assured him I could get one from Ikea for around 240 with a mattress. Heres hoping its half decent quality! Hes going to knock the cost off my first months rent. Cheers for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

That area is technically Dublin 8 though, not Dublin 2.

Just to be a pedant - that house linked to there is in Dublin 6. I used to live next door to it. ;)

Oh and Tusky you were dead right to stick to your guns. With the way the rental market is these days landlords are much more accommodating about swapping beds, lowering rent etc.

Advertisement