Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The latest scourge to hit town after the demise of the head shop

• 02-07-2010 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I could not but noticed this shop just down the lane past O'Brien café

How revolting, just like Head shops before the clampdown these shops are now multiplying lke rats right across the country.

There was a thread on this quite recently in AH. Selling gold for cash scams.

How can Ennis town council give permission to such tabloid shop frontage.

1fee5s.jpg

These scammers operate straight from the gutter, they prey on the gullible, misunfortunate, those that have lost their jobs, single mothers, the elderly, they offer the minimum commission on merchandise, encourage burglary's, hand bag snatching and every other conceivable form of theft.

OUT WITH THEM !!!!!!!!!

Comments

you're dead right..and who the f*ck owns em all?..afaik a few a lot of them are being run by hedge funds and the like...they're just extracting the gold from the population..give them some worthless paper for it..it sickens me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Ya, spotted this alright. Does it do much business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

there is only a limited amount of gold out there and its getting more expensvie so these people pray on the weak and poor. give them maybe 75% the actual gold value melt it down a make more gold bullions they sell of at a huge profit. its not a scam but just as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

I agree with you.
    These are the times were livin in and every toe rag is out to cash in

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

In all the times Ive passed by there lately, the doors are open but Ive never actually seen anybody in there. Hopefully, it'll stay like that and they'll have no choice but to close when they cant make the rent. Its so tacky looking. Fingers crossed:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

carmel27 wrote: »
    In all the times Ive passed by there lately, the doors are open but Ive never actually seen anybody in there. Hopefully, it'll stay like that and they'll have no choice but to close when they cant make the rent. Its so tacky looking. Fingers crossed:)
    Town is such a small place, anyone that is seen going in there will raise questions. "Where did you rob it" :p

Town is such a small place, anyone that is seen going in there will raise questions. "Where did you rob it" :p

LMAO! Actually that'd be a great way to have it closed down! Be better than any protest! If Ive a few free hrs on my hands tomorrow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

house break-ins will skyrocket. lock your jewellery away

carmel27 wrote: »
    LMAO! Actually that'd be a great way to have it closed down! Be better than any protest! If Ive a few free hrs on my hands tomorrow.....
    Theres a sophisticated pan/tilt and zoom Garda CCTV camera at the corner just across the road from this shop, I am sure it is well within it's catchment area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Why don't you get onto Joe Duffy? Worked with headshops.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

scheister wrote: »
    there is only a limited amount of gold out there and its getting more expensvie so these people pray on the weak and poor. give them maybe 75% the actual gold value melt it down a make more gold bullions they sell of at a huge profit. its not a scam but just as bad

You sure they pay 75% of the value of the gold?
    That would be not so bad, I'm sure they pay more like 50% or less.
    Some websites suggest it's a third of the price of the gold.
    Also check out this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055765058
    (Yes it's boards)
    BTW: Love the user name

Just came across this on another thread. Interesting stuff....
    http://www.xcomplaints.com/complaint...h4gold-c2.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Sure it's as legitimate a business as anything else. They're taking a slight gamble sitting on the gold until they sell it. Looks likely it'll keep going up in value for a while but it's not guaranteed. Nobody is forcing people to sell it, and even if they do what harm. The gold isn't doing the person more good than 75% of its value in euros would. If you're skint then you might as well flog it. If you're lazy about selling it you can expect people to take advantage.

The shop front is hideous however.

They couldn't have picked a more secure spot. :D

eqtlz4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brocdubh

couldn`t agree more,anything to take advantage,they`ll open a bank there next:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

This is ridiculous. They are a legitimate business, if you have a problem with them or the front of the shop, check with your local TD or councillor. By the definition above, all business' would be scams.

The unfortunate reality is that these shops are opening everywhere. Like shapey said, if people are lazy, business' always take advantage. Disagree? Check the price of a sliced pan in your local spar compared with any large supermarket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This is ridiculous. They are a legitimate business, if you have a problem with them or the front of the shop, check with your local TD or councillor. By the definition above, all business' would be scams.

The unfortunate reality is that these shops are opening everywhere. Like shapey said, if people are lazy, business' always take advantage. Disagree? Check the price of a sliced pan in your local spar compared with any large supermarket.

Well, these shops are perfectly within their rights to open up.
    But the consumers are also perfectly within their rights to criticize these shops for whatever reason.
    You would be perfectly within your rights to open up a shop that pays way below the odds for something or charges way above for goods, but since this is a democracy the consumers can organise themselves and warn each other about such ripoff merchants.
    The bad old days where the standard answer to anything was "if you don't like it, fcuk off!" are thankfully gone and the people are slowly realising that consumers not only have rights (largely ignored in this country), but if they stick together, they even have power, much more power than the government or the retailers would like them to have.
    And that scares the living daylights out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Must be alot of of Joe Duffy listeners in Clare !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I noticed this last week after I was getting Domino's. As if the ads wern't annoying enough, we have to put up with this so called business now. I'd much rather bring my gold to an actual evaluator to see how much its really worth.

kilburn wrote: »
    Must be alot of of Joe Duffy listeners in Clare !

I'm perfectly in my rights to get hysterical about this non-issue. I mean look at the business operator. He's positively sneering at us with his gold fillings, chains, rings, sitting atop what's presumably a golden throne.

RazorRamon016.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Presumably ye'll all be as outraged with auctioneers or real estate shops too? They ripped off a lot more people than these gold shops and certainly in a less voluntary fashion.

Where is the thread to march on the newly refurbished Bank?

After all it was their lies that helped destroy this country or are we all hypocrites?

Anyone who uses the services provided by a shop like this needs their head examined. Anyone who feels the need to show their outrage on something so harmless when society is crumbling because of "legimate" business behaving disgracefully has their priorities all wrong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

I'm perfectly in my rights to get hysterical about this non-issue. I mean look at the business operator. He's positively sneering at us with his gold fillings, chains, rings, sitting atop what's presumably a golden throne.

RazorRamon016.jpg

I could have sworn I heard someone say his name was Midas......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Its the same as the one on TV:

ENVIROFONE

Ask you to send in your old mobile for a couple of euro at most... and why?

Mobile phone circuits contain small amounts of gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Its the same as the one on TV:

ENVIROFONE

Ask you to send in your old mobile for a couple of euro at most... and why?

Mobile phone circuits contain small amounts of gold!
    Please, the only thing I can remember about Envirofone is this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnMT663_jjI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

This is his new business Shapey
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBKJGQiHRJM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

There are tonnes of articles on the net about these places -

http://www.wpxi.com/news/22477438/detail.html

http://www.allbusiness.com/crime-law/criminal-offenses-crimes-against/14795082-1.html

Do a Google search and find em from all over America, where this trend took off first.

Every city now has an 'upsurge' in 'violent crime' including robberies, burglaries, and home invasions - all which link to these shops, since you can sell gold items without having any papers or receipts and they will take it and have it melted down in no time, disposing of all evidence of the crime.

Then again, this isn't anything new. Any jeweler will do the same sure - and they have them all over Ennis.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a pawn shop in Ennis back in the 80's? I don't remember very well. Sign of the times when these things sprout up.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a pawn shop in Ennis back in the 80's? I don't remember very well. Sign of the times when these things sprout up.
    They were all over Australia in the 90's. A popular chain called "Cash Converters" Im not sure if they were / are offiliated with the branches over here.

these shops are a sign of the times,wait till christmas, if your kids want something and the money aint there these people will be in their element,`there will be "i`ll give you ten bob for that, take it or leave it"attitude

• Advertisement

a jeweller might do it, but we have bigger gangsters running the country,they dont loss their gold, just their memories !

Advertisement