Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windscreen cover

• 02-07-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I was doing work around the wipers and noticed a small crack running vertically up the windscreen. Well, its a rather large crack. About 5 or 6 inches. Hidden behind the tax disk holder.

I dont think my insurance office crowd are open on weekends. Im through a broker although the actual company may be open.

In general does third party insurance come with windscreen cover or is it purely an option that not every usually gets.

Monday will be the definite day that I can find out but its a weight on my mind at the moment.

If AutoGlass can do anything about it it would be great.

Thanks all
    bbk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think it really depends on the policy rather than the default type of cover. Some full comp policies with certain insurance companies still don't include windscreen cover.

Have a read of your policy documents it is bound to be in there somewhere. Autoglass maybe able to check if you give them your policy number too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think it really depends on the policy rather than the default type of cover. Some full comp policies with certain insurance companies still don't include windscreen cover.

Have a read of your policy documents it is bound to be in there somewhere. Autoglass maybe able to check if you give them your policy number too.

Thanks. Wrong feckin time to get possible big bill. :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, always see windscreen cover as a worth while addition to any policy. It pays for itself even if you are lucky enough to only every need it the once.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah, always see windscreen cover as a worth while addition to any policy. It pays for itself even if you are lucky enough to only every need it the once.

My insurance is actually up on the 12th of this month. If I checked with the broker and asked that my renewal does have windscreen cover do you think they would care that Im only asking because my windscreen is fecked now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

just wait till you renew and get cover....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

sean1141 wrote: »
    just wait till you renew and get cover....
    Are you suggesting fraud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Why do you need to replace the windscreen? the crack was obscured by the tax disc holder.

Eventually the crack will travel across the windscreen due to vibrations from the road. It will most likely need to be replaced at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i wouldnt bother doing anything with it....it wont fall out or anything bad...if its not in your eye-line, it probably wont be an NCT fail either.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Are you suggesting fraud?
    how is it fraud??? you have a policy that covers windscreen replacement and your windscreen is damaged...your paying for it.. if the op contacts is insurer monday they probably wont give him windscreen cover for the 7 days left on his policy anyway...

op if it is not really bad and not affecting your view of the road wait and renew your policy get windscreen cover and then if the crack extends up the screen or just starts annoying you ring auto glass or who ever your insurers deal with (certain insurers have certain windscreen company's that they only deal with) and get them to replace it.. if you have rain sensors on the golf the screen will be different to a standard one just let them know on the phone. saves then having to come back a few days later to do it again..
    if you decide to replace it out of your own pocket be prepared to hand out about 300quid:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

bbk wrote: »
    My insurance is actually up on the 12th of this month. If I checked with the broker and asked that my renewal does have windscreen cover do you think they would care that Im only asking because my windscreen is fecked now?

I'd be inclined to suggest that you ommit mentioning that your windcreen is cracked and request renewal with windscreen cover if you are not already getting it (and assuming windscreen cover is an option as I have found not every insurance company/ broker will give the option). Get your windscreen replaced about a month later and bobs your uncle, job done!

Call it fraud if you will but the way I'd look at it insurance companies certainly never done me any favours despite my clean driving record. On a side note I would also suggest that you shop around come renewal times instead of going with the same broker if thats what you are intending to do, even if you think you are getting a competitive quote. Speaking to a broad range of people in varying circumstances over the past number of months its quite alarming the deviations in the insurance quotes they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

how is it fraud??? you have a policy that covers windscreen replacement and your windscreen is damaged...your paying for it.. if the op contacts is insurer monday they probably wont give him windscreen cover for the 7 days left on his policy anyway...
    It's fraud because the new policy will not cover preexisting damage to the windscreen. Encouraging fraud is against the charter, let's just leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

if you decide to replace it out of your own pocket be prepared to hand out about 300quid:eek:

Cost of windscreen replacement can vary considerably. 300 may well be average but if its an anyway rarer model or or has a feature such as heating element in windcreen such as Ford Mondeo for example 300 may end up looking like loose change.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Why do you need to replace the windscreen? the crack was obscured by the tax disc holder.

Well it must have gotten bigger since Ive had the car. It will eventually get to the point where I will want to replace it. For the time being its fine. Its just down to whether I have the cover to get it replaced.

I'd be inclined to suggest that you ommit mentioning that your windcreen is cracked and request renewal with windscreen cover if you are not already getting it (and assuming windscreen cover is an option as I have found not every insurance company/ broker will give the option). Get your windscreen replaced about a month later and bobs your uncle, job done!

Call it fraud if you will but the way I'd look at it insurance companies certainly never done me any favours despite my clean driving record. On a side note I would also suggest that you shop around come renewal times instead of going with the same broker if thats what you are intending to do, even if you think you are getting a competitive quote. Speaking to a broad range of people in varying circumstances over the past number of months its quite alarming the deviations in the insurance quotes they got.
    Thanks for the advice.

how is it fraud??? you have a policy that covers windscreen replacement and your windscreen is damaged...your paying for it.. if the op contacts is insurer monday they probably wont give him windscreen cover for the 7 days left on his policy anyway...:eek:
    It is fraud if you are suggesting that the OP wait until he gets windscreen cover and then puts in a claim. The damage has occurred now, it is not about when you put in a claim. You are suggesting that he purchase cover for a loss and subsequently put in a claim where he will have to state that it happened afterwards

It is irrelevant that the crack might get bigger later on or that he postpones getting it replaced. The loss has occurred as of now

Call it fraud if you will but the way I'd look at it insurance companies certainly never done me any favours despite my clean driving record.
    And you don't see the link between this attitude and high insurance premiums, even for drivers with clean records????

oldyouth wrote: »
    And you don't see the link between this attitude and high insurance premiums, even for drivers with clean records????
    As i've already said, encouraging fraud is against the charter. I really don't want to have to ban anyone over this, so please let this line of discussion drop.

Well fearing the wrath of the infraction thingy I just need one question regarding it.

If I have windscreen cover now but claim a week after my new policy comes into affect is that still bad? Timewise it may turn out that I can only get it fixed after the new insurance comes in but I suppose if I find I have cover and tell them they shouldnt mind if I have to take a week or two to get it fixed?

bbk wrote: »
    Well fearing the wrath of the infraction thingy I just need one question regarding it.

If I have windscreen cover now but claim a week after my new policy comes into affect is that still bad? Timewise it may turn out that I can only get it fixed after the new insurance comes in but I suppose if I find I have cover and tell them they shouldnt mind if I have to take a week or two to get it fixed?
    If you had windscreen cover when the screen cracked then you're entitled to a replacement under the policy that was in force at the time. I'd imagine you'll have to tell them now though, rather than when the policy has expired.

• Advertisement

i have had to replace 3 windscreens in my time driving. i had windscreen cover each time. just rang the windscreen crowd each time. never had any contact with insurance company. was never asked when or how it happened. i had to get a replacment screen 1 week after getting it replaced the first time. got it done without question..

Well Ill have to do something. In the heat today or the 2 miles of driving I did today the crack has gotten about 6 inches longer and is heading more towards the middle of the car.

I was going to go out tomorrow to do some work but I dont know if the screen can take it. 10 miles each way on decent roads.
    Balls!

I found the insurance particulars. No windscreen cover.

Autoglass say they can send someone out and fit a new one for 180 euro.
    Good price?

Advertisement