Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon? Nikon? Pentax?

• 02-07-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've decided to buy my first DSLR. :D

I'm thinking of the Canon 1000D which is currently €443 in Argos and on Pixmania. Good? Bad? Should I be looking at a different camera altogether?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it will serve you well, as will the entry level nikon.
    best thing you can do is manhandle the cameras you have on your shortlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I went for Pentax K-X with 18-55 and 55-300 lens.
    Most people are Canon or Nikon but the Pentax is getting great reviews.
    Just my two-pence....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The only difference that matters is how they feel in your hands.
    +1 for the manhandling.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Ah, but don't forget the availability of good secondhand lenses - and lots of them. That's one reason to stick with either CANON or nikon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Hi folks,

I've decided to buy my first DSLR. :D

I'm thinking of the Canon 1000D which is currently €443 in Argos and on Pixmania. Good? Bad? Should I be looking at a different camera altogether?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I got the 1000D in Conns. When you buy it you get a half days training free with it (next training day in October) but argos and pixmania don't apply for it.

Mine was around the €450, but we managed to haggle down a camera bag as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

5uspect wrote: »
    The only difference that matters is how they feel in your hands.
    +1 for the manhandling.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The 1000D didn't fare very well when pitted against other entry level dslrs in a recent ed of Practical photography. The Nikon d3000 placed 2nd out of 8 cameras tested [1st place went to the D5000 which is a bit more expensive] - Even the Sony A230 whooped the 1000D, and you could have that new for about €300, then hunt down used minolta lenses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've always thought the entry level canon felt a bit more plasticky than the entry level nikon myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I do like my Pentaxes (Have K20D primary and a K10D as a backup body.) and there's lots of good Pentax-compatible used glass out there.. dating back to the 1950's... it'll all work on their current cameras. (although you can't do auto-focus on stuff from the 1950's and such.. and you're limited to aperture-priority for auto-exposure.)

You'd be hard-pressed to go wrong with one of the big names.. but as has been mentioned.. the way it feels in your hands dictates how useful a tool it's going to be for you. If it feels natural, and your manipulation of the camera "flows" easily.. then it's probably the right one to get.. even if it's edged out slightly in features etc.. by other cameras. You're talking about an art. If you don't shoot frequently and fluidly, you're going to miss the stuff you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

mmm Pentax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

looking at the 1000d myself, pics from it look very good quality, would it be better buying that new or trying to get a higher model Canon second hand?

Sorry to hijack the thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I would definitely be going to a good seller of Nikon or Canon on Ebay Uk- great value there at present.(second hand)

The D80 second hand can be real good value.

I've seen 450D canons around used, fr less than €500. You get the higher res and better kit lens, along with other upgrades. I'd go that route.

keps wrote: »
    I would definitely be going to a good seller of Nikon or Canon on Ebay Uk- great value there at present.(second hand)

The D80 second hand can be real good value.
    I've seen 450D canons around used, fr less than €500. You get the higher res and better kit lens, along with other upgrades. I'd go that route.

Good to know thanks a million, anything to look out for (and avoid) when buying a second hand one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Just looking at Ebay value - this one will probably go a good bit higher - but if you have patience asnd pick your sellers well- you can get great value!

http://tinyurl.com/335ck6b

It's hard to say - bar the obvious - Switch the camera on, take a few pictures at different settings. Check them back, make sure the LCD is grand. Check for loose connection between lens and body, open all covers battery/card compartment etc ... making sure none of the doors are loose/cracked. No battery leakage etc ..

I never had any problems with the dslr I bought used until I dropped it myself ... oops. I just knew by the seller when I met him the equipment was good. You can just tell sometimes. He had his new gear with him on the day, he'd upgraded to a higher spec Canon from the Sony he sold me. Both lenses and all filters that came with were spotless and I fired off a few shots, all seemed grand. It usually is, you'll just get the very odd chancer trying to offload dodgy gear.

[edit] this is, of course, if you bought through a site like adverts.ie, where meeting the seller in person is encouraged. ebay is different. Go with trusted/top rated sellers. That D80 above does look a nice deal, with only a day left. Watch out for late jump in bidders.

keps wrote: »
    Just looking at Ebay value - this one will probably go a good bit higher - but if you have patience asnd pick your sellers well- you can get great value!

http://tinyurl.com/335ck6b

Thanks will check it out!
    It's hard to say - bar the obvious - Switch the camera on, take a few pictures at different settings. Check them back, make sure the LCD is grand. Check for loose connection between lens and body, open all covers battery/card compartment etc ... making sure none of the doors are loose/cracked. No battery leakage etc ..

I never had any problems with the dslr I bought used until I dropped it myself ... oops. I just knew by the seller when I met him the equipment was good. You can just tell sometimes. He had his new gear with him on the day, he'd upgraded to a higher spec Canon from the Sony he sold me. Both lenses and all filters that came with were spotless and I fired off a few shots, all seemed grand. It usually is, you'll just get the very odd chancer trying to offload dodgy gear.

[edit] this is, of course, if you bought through a site like adverts.ie, where meeting the seller in person is encouraged. ebay is different. Go with trusted/top rated sellers. That D80 above does look a nice deal, with only a day left. Watch out for late jump in bidders.

Good advice, will keep this all in mind, thanks a million guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

i've always thought the entry level canon felt a bit more plasticky than the entry level nikon myself.

I felt the same. not that it really matters; you'd get used to it very quickly. But it was one thing that put me off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

I love my canon 1000d, its a great entry level dslr. I prefer the lighter weight compared to other cameras as ive small hands so its easy for me to hold.

Mine was €499 in Camera Exchange with kit lens, bag and 2gb memory card.Also included was the half day training and a hell of a lot of free advice from the guys there

Was going to buy online but thought it nicer to spend the money in an independent irish store , you never know when you might need their advice and i was so excited I wanted the camera there and then :)

Advertisement