Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Wheel

• 02-07-2010 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi

I'm a little clueless about bike maintenence so would be grateful for some advice.

I own a la pierre hybrid which I bought from the Cycle Superstore. During the week the back wheel was stolen (lesson learnt - I'll lock it more carefully in future!). The cycle superstore said it would cost about €100 to replace but my local bike shop said they could put a wheel on for €65 or so. (I don't think this will be a la pierre specific wheel). Does anyone know if I'm better off paying the extra for a la pierre wheel or will any wheel that fits do just as well?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

I would probably go with 'CS' for a tonne replacing a rear wheel with a cassette seems like a good deal. I bought a set of wheels from there over a year ago + a cassette & have had no issues with them since.

Off topic: tires also. seemed a wee bit steep at the time but for over a years use and not a puncture yet even though Dublin's lanes are littered with broken glass lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Any wheel that fits will do just as well. You can go to Rothar.ie and they'll be even cheaper than €65, but any wheel will do. Unless you're racing or whatever then weight isn't really a consideration (within sensible limits of course, nobody wants a cast iron rim etc) then there's no point paying over the odds for something that will invariably get buckled on dublins crappy bike lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭mr j tayto

You can go to Rothar.ie

Excellent advice,have used them often and never been disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Presumably it was a standard 700c road wheel rather than a 26" mountain bike size wheel. You also need to know how many gears you had on the back to replace the cassette (the bunch of cogs attached to the wheel). 8,9 or 10 probably. I'm sure a quick call to the Cycle Superstore will tell you what you need (and then try and find it somewhere cheaper!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

The wheels that come with the Lapierre are nothing special. I have one and had to replace the rear wheel as the spokes kept popping - can't rem the manufacturer etc but can check the front wheel for you if you need to know.

How old is the bike ? If the chain and cassette were worn , you may need a new chain too with your new cassette and wheel that the local bike shop are supplying for €65 .
    If you know the details of the wheel and cassette that CSS and the LBS are supplying then post them up here and you'll get an idea of how good/bad the value is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement