Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to move a wasps nest safely

Options
  • 02-07-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, a neighbour of mine has a wasps nest in her front garden, about 1ft off the ground and on the underside of a contoneaster.
    I'm wondering is there an ideal method of removing this and relocating it without harming it's charming occupants, any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

No idea of how to move it, but if you want not to have one in future, put a large brown-paper bag, blown up or full of something light, hanging in a conspicuous place - wasps don't like competition, and if they see another 'nest' they'll find another place. Or so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Smoke them late in the eve scoop into bin liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

why do you not want to harm them?
    Arent wasps pests? unlike bees?

I have a nest in a hole in the ground on a slight bank in the lawn about 6 inches above ground level and havent dont anything about it yet.
    Aldi is selling cans of Wasp Nest destroyer for €2.49 this week :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Wasps are important pollinators, aren't they? I'd leave them alone if they're not near a house or a workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Wasps aren't as good as pollinators as bees are - bees drink nectar, wasps are more omnivorous. Wasps will eat caterpillars and bugs, or take them back to their nests to feed to their larvae.

They can be aggressive to other pollinators in the area and gardeners will often rather get rid of them and have the bees in instead.

If destroying a wasp's nest, buy an appropriate product and apply at the darkest end of dusk when they're all in the nest and asleep. We had a nest in a bale of straw in our yard last year and had to get rid of it. Used a powder product and puffed it into the nest on a summer's evening at about 9.30pm (still wearing long trousers and long sleeves out of paranoia!) We were told by the council that it's illegal in our area to leave the nest thrive and you're under obligation to get rid of it - but that's European wasps, and I'm in Australia, so that could explain that part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Sounds like it's a swarm of honeybees - lotsa people confuse them with wasps. If so, a beekeeper will sort you out - find your local Mayo association here http://irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/affassoctxt.html#connacht

PM me if you have any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

We had a nest in a bale of straw in our yard last year and had to get rid of it. Used a powder product and puffed it into the nest on a summer's evening at about 9.30pm (still wearing long trousers and long sleeves out of paranoia!) .

Did ya kill em all? Any come out after you or did u just throw it on and run?
    I have a can of spray stuff that is expanding foam with poison. But wondering if any will get out while i am applying said foam before I seal the entrance!

(too near the house and Im afraid the dogs gona find it)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 goodie2

Me and my friend got rid of a nest with a deodorant aerosol can before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Oven gloves and a big broom done the job for me.

Advertisement