Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop broadband - UPC plug and play?!

• 02-07-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I bought a new laptop today for my wife. I have a desktop in the house with a UPC 24meg hardline modem. (It's not wireless.)

I have a seperate wireless modem from UPC - that they gave it to me a few months back during a routine check on the line.

Can I simply plug the wireless modem into a UPC port elsewhere in the house and the laptop will recieve a web signal?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

sticker wrote: »
    Hey all,

I bought a new laptop today for my wife. I have a desktop in the house with a UPC 24meg hardline modem. (It's not wireless.)

I have a seperate wireless modem from UPC - that they gave it to me a few months back during a routine check on the line.

Can I simply plug the wireless modem into a UPC port elsewhere in the house and the laptop will recieve a web signal?

Thanks in advance!

From what you've said, no, it shouldn't work. Only one MAC address is associated with your account, and only one modem and will be allowed on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Spear wrote: »
    From what you've said, no, it shouldn't work. Only one MAC address is associated with your account, and only one modem and will be allowed on the network.

My main PC (custom built) does not have a wireless capability. What are my options then?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My main PC (custom built) does not have a wireless capability. What are my options then?!

Either add wireless capability, either by a wifi adapter, or alternately you could use another wireless router in bridge/WDS mode to connect to the UPC router. You could run some ethernet cables, but I suspect you'll want to avoid that. There's also the option of Homeplugs to use you electrical cabling as network cabling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If they gave you a wireless modem/router, why didn't they set it up for you? The model mentioned here has 4 ethernet ports in addition to wireless. If you get in touch with UPC and give them the MAC address of the wireless modem, they should be able to configure your account to use that instead of the non-wireless model.

The hardline modem was acting up so they brought the wireless, we got the hardline router working so they just left the wireless in the event that I needed it.

This is the wireless modem I have:
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/WirelessRouter/WirelessRoutersforSimpleSharing/WGR614.aspx

I have a scientific atlantica hardline modem (non-wireless) routed into a splitter/router here:
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/DesktopSwitches/FS105.aspx

Can I simply "add" the wireless modem to the router above in an external port and would it distribute the signal to the wireless router to the new laptop?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

The hardline modem was acting up so they brought the wireless, we got the hardline router working so they just left the wireless in the event that I needed it.

This is the wireless modem I have:
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/WirelessRouter/WirelessRoutersforSimpleSharing/WGR614.aspx

I have a scientific atlantica hardline modem (non-wireless) routed into a splitter/router here:
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/DesktopSwitches/FS105.aspx

Can I simply "add" the wireless modem to the router above in an external port and would it distribute the signal to the wireless router to the new laptop?

Thanks again!

So the wireless router is purely a router. In that case you can simply connect the WAN port to the cable modem and connect wirelessly to the Netgear instead.

Spear wrote: »
    So the wireless router is purely a router. In that case you can simply connect the WAN port to the cable modem and connect wirelessly to the Netgear instead.

Did it and it worked - many thanks indeed!

Advertisement