Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The room I work in is crap!

Options
  • 02-07-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi

I work in a shop, in an admin position. I have a small office, located in a stockroom. All the other management/admin people are in offices on a different floor. I just got this job a few weeks ago, and am taking over from a person who retired who had this office for ages.

The thing is the room has no windows, is absolutely roasting in this weather, has no fresh air etc, and for the past 2 weeks I have gotten headaches every single day. The person before me didn't exactly keep it very clean, so did a major clean up this week as it is seriously dusty, but still getting the headaches. I generally never get headaches, and I really think it is from sitting in this room 8 hours a day.

What should I do?? I hate making a fuss as I am damn glad to have a job as was looking for ages, but every evening I come home feeling weird, and for the past week am finding it seriously hard to even concentrate on what I am doing. Also with the stockroom right beside me there is often lots of noise with moving stuff around and different staff talking. Obv this is not their fault at all and I dont blame them, just hard to get stuff done in there!

Should I bring it up? As I said dont want to make a big deal about it and get off on the wrong foot with people

Any advice???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

buy a thermometer to see how hot exactly the room is getting.
    buy a fan to get the air moving a bit and try leaving the door open during breaks or when it isn't too busy.
    i even saw a portable air cond solution once.. basically, a plasticy fan with a holder for a bottle of water that was left in the freezer overnight!

If you wear office attire (shirt, tie, trousers) consider wearing short sleeve shirts, lighter trousers and taking your tie off.

Don't forget that this hot weather is not typical of Ireland. Before you know it you will be complaining about how cold and damp your office is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

you shouldn't have to fork out for an air con or fan, do however get the temperature of the room checked
    http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?con=447#q2
    check out this web page also i know you dont want to cause a fuss but health and safety first and if your employer wants you to be a productive member of staff then its a small price to pay out of petty cash to have a comfortable environment that is legal for you to work in

edellc, I told the op to monitor the temperature but the fact is no legislation specifies max temperatures and many people work in hot kitchens.

You also need to consider, a job's a job. This heat is pretty unseasonal by Irish standards so the op should try to make the work environment as comfortable as possible. If that means bringing in a desk fan, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

i get what your saying however an employee should never have to fork out money for an air con or fan petty cash is there to cover that and also the fact that the OP is getting head aches may be to do with the heat but may also be due to the lack of natural light in the office
    there are health and safety laws in ireland and even in a recession they need to be obeyed its not about be grateful that you have a job that attitude is just not good enough we all deserve an acceptable environment to work in and that is the responsibility of the employer to provide that full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

edellc wrote: »
    i get what your saying however an employee should never have to fork out money for an air con or fan petty cash is there to cover that and also the fact that the OP is getting head aches may be to do with the heat but may also be due to the lack of natural light in the office
    there are health and safety laws in ireland and even in a recession they need to be obeyed its not about be grateful that you have a job that attitude is just not good enough we all deserve an acceptable environment to work in and that is the responsibility of the employer to provide that full stop

Good points - it is also not in the employer's interest to have their employees working at less than 100% - constant headaches are not a receipe for top productivity.

• Advertisement

You could always ask to be moved to the nice floor, if working in the stock room isn't an essential part of your job. Maybe lay it on thick with some drivel about working closer to the team

I wouldn't ask for petty cash to buy a fan all the same.

Your pharmacy might recommend a few paracetamol or solpadine for the headaches (oh and if they persist see a gp ;)) and drinking plenty of water can also help.

Advertisement