Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beehive in garden

Options
  • 02-07-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Have just discovered a beehive growing on the wall of my garden shed amongst my clematis. Any ideas about how to get rid of it, cant relax in the garden til it's gone!Help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if it's really a beehive (it's probably a wasps nest) you should leave it - bees are having a tough time these days.

If it is a wasps nest you can get sprays etc depending on the size of it - just visit woodies or any other large DIY shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Its probably a wasp's nest alright, I'm no expert on these things. Its big and greyish with lots of holes in it and wasps are coming and going all the time. I hate at and just want it out of my garden!!! Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Wield at it with a big stick and steal the honey from inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Don't poke a stick in it!!! Aside from stings, you may destroy the hive.
    Try to find out from someone if it is a wasps nest for sure..probably is, but if it is bees, and you don't know how to deal with it or don't want to leave it there, contact the beekeepers association of Ireland
    Bees *are* having a hard time. I have heard of people coming and removing hives (free of charge) and in return keeping the bees.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Funky Kingston

Have just discovered a beehive growing on the wall of my garden shed amongst my clematis. Any ideas about how to get rid of it, cant relax in the garden til it's gone!Help!!

If you leave them be (lol) they will leave you be .... i've been living in harmony with wasps who have decided to live in our garden for the past while .... i discovered this week that they seem to have moved on ..no sign of them ..so maybe when the bees take what is available in your garden they will move on too ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Poke it like you poke your facebook friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Unless you have kids or pets I'd leave it alone personally. They will know the layout of your garden, and prob venture into the house very little.

If you really must get rid of it you can buy a spray that you spray on them. But its really toxic stuff ... I'd rather have the wasps personally. Or get in someone (like maybe the people that put down rat poison for businesses) might be able to help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A wasp hive is grey and papery, bees usually build inside a cavity and have browner hives. If it were me I'd call an exterminator. There was a wasp hive in my grandmother's shed when I was a kid and we got the crap stung out of us that summer, we only found the hive after they'd gone. Some sort of hornet set up shop in our treehouse the following year and we were banned from playing outside! They were the length of a man's thumb, never saw anything like them before or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

If you poke a stick through the centre of it a few times
    you will kill the queen and they will all just fly of in search of another queen..
    Tell us how you get on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Oddly enough I just found a bees nest at the back of my garden, it looks like its underground they seem to be coming in and out under some grass cuttings I was to lazy to move :D

Now I'm more than happy to leave said blighter's alone and I'm assuming they'll do likewise.

• Advertisement

Have called in the exterminators!! Would have preferred a more humane solution, but needs must.They'll be here tomorrow but it costs 150 euro for the job, bloody wasps!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

cruel bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

inisboffin wrote: »
    Try to find out from someone if it is a wasps nest for sure..probably is, but if it is bees, and you don't know how to deal with it or don't want to leave it there, contact the beekeepers association of Ireland
    Bees *are* having a hard time. I have heard of people coming and removing hives (free of charge) and in return keeping the bees.
    Best of luck!

Like inisboffin says, call the irish beekeeping assoc, they will come round - if it is a viable hive, they will probably move it for you, there are groups all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Have called in the exterminators!! Would have preferred a more humane solution, but needs must.They'll be here tomorrow but it costs 150 euro for the job, bloody wasps!

what a rob, are you seriously going to pay 150 euro for it :eek:, the spray from woodies is about 20

wasps nest.jpg

These are the the little blighters! I'm not taking them on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

jap gt wrote: »
    what a rob, are you seriously going to pay 150 euro for it :eek:, the spray from woodies is about 20

€2.49 from Aldi ..... :)

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_13336.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-06-28-11-19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lads and lasses....bees are actually a protected species.Its an offense to kill them in this country.

They wont harm you if you dont harm them.

Bees are essential for the enviroment and vital for plants and flowers and pollinating and having a nice garden.

You can stand right beside a bee or even a group of bees when they in a plant or flowers collecting pollena nd nectar and they wont even bother you.

If it is a bee hive then DO NOT poke it,smack it with a stick,spray it of kill it.

Have a bee keeper or expert safely remove it to a better location.

BUT DO NOT DESTROY IT.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

inisboffin wrote: »
    Best of luck!

First call the guys that inisboffin suggested, if it is a beehive, they wil move it - and more importantly, save it.

But the picture looks like wasps, I am not sure of the legal staus of those, but my first thought would be a firebomb, but the aldi product looks safer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

paddy147 wrote: »

If it is a bee hive then DO NOT poke it,smack it with a stick,spray it of kill it.

BUT DO NOT DESTROY IT.:mad:

No one mentioned anything about killing bees....
    All previous posts were suggestions for if it was a wasps nest (which is more than likely is)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wasp Foam spray from any DIY shop. Sprays up to 3m so you just spray and run :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Sue Rocks

martyboy48 wrote: »
    If you poke a stick through the centre of it a few times
    you will kill the queen and they will all just fly of in search of another queen..
    Tell us how you get on....

Either that OR you will get the face stunk off you!! ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Paschcom

I have a wasps nest in a wall in our back garden. Hole is only about 4 x 1 inches so I can't actually see the nest.
    Is there any point spraying in the nest destroyer if I can't actually see where the nest is? I'm not inclined to stick my head up close enough to see in!!
    If I spray in the nest destroyer and then follow it up with some expandable foam, will this sort it out, or will it just piss them off?
    tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi, I'm a bee keeper. If you had bees I'd come and take them. You have wasps.
    Either pay €150 to an exterminator or buy the spray and do it yourself for abou €10. It's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Why are ye killing bees/wasps both are key stone animals vital to everything. Hives are dying world wide. Please don't kill any of them. Wasps eat crop pests, pollinate flowers + fruit trees. Parts of China are hand pollinating fruit trees because they have no bees !

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

Oddly enough I just found a bees nest at the back of my garden, it looks like its underground they seem to be coming in and out under some grass cuttings I was to lazy to move :D

Now I'm more than happy to leave said blighter's alone and I'm assuming they'll do likewise.

they sound like bumble bees that have made the nest,leave them alone if you can,they are protected apparantley

if you have time follow them and see where they are going
    they seem to love the white clover on the lawn,i leave mine uncut for a few weeks(great excuse,when the neighbours stick their nose in) and watch them buzzing around

it freaks out the kids from time to time,but thats good too haha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

on the subject of wasps,they eat loads of fruit as well as pests,they rendered my parents apples useless

one of the best things i did to wasps,and it wasnt cruel:we had a christmas plum pudding that was found in the back of the cupboard during the summer,a good quality one with loads of alcohol in it,i put it out on the bird table for the birds but holy sh1t,the wasps had a field day with it

if you looked closely you could see their arses sticking out the pudding and they fell asleep or got drunk and couldnt fly

that would be a happy end for me, drink and cake.yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I've no intention of bothering them, like yourself I'd a lot of clover on my lawn. Though I killed most of it, but Ill leave the untreated patch alone.

Advertisement