Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Router

• 02-07-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

what is the router eircom currently giving to new customers these days?

Comments

I'm not sure of the exact model but it's a ZyXEL unit, similar to those issued by Perlico and BT a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

I guess it will only be a wireless G so?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it is b/g only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

that kinda sux, such old technology :) have to plug that in to my wireless router to broadcast on N so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

StRiKeR wrote: »
    that kinda sux, such old technology :) have to plug that in to my wireless router to broadcast on N so :)

jeez lad, its free fgs.
    also N is still all over the place. Very few true dual band routers available on the market yet, and the ones that are are expensive.

• Advertisement

dnme wrote: »
    jeez lad, its free fgs.
    also N is still all over the place. Very few true dual band routers available on the market yet, and the ones that are are expensive.

Yeah my N router is 2.4 or 5 GHz, can't do both even though it costs €225. I have my laptop on 5 GHz and have a cheap 2.4 GHz access point for my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

yep they provide Zyxel routers now which are mostly muck routers there motorola netopia modems where better zyxel wireless isnt all that good either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah my N router is 2.4 or 5 GHz, can't do both even though it costs €225. I have my laptop on 5 GHz and have a cheap 2.4 GHz access point for my phone.

I have my eye on a Linksys WRT610n

dnme wrote: »
    I have my eye on a Linksys WRT610n

I have the AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7270. I didn't pay €225 for mine mind you, the company I work for is an official reseller of AVM products so I got it free of charge for testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Got a bit of a problem with my router. Had to re-install XP, went to install the eircom software but it can't connect to default Gateway, so I guess I have to sort one of my drivers, any idea how I go about doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

siblers wrote: »
    Got a bit of a problem with my router. Had to re-install XP, went to install the eircom software but it can't connect to default Gateway, so I guess I have to sort one of my drivers, any idea how I go about doing this?

Just plug that LAN cable in and it should work without needing a CD, unless you use a USB driver which in that case google for the latest one

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Having had to ditch UPC because of their crappy service out my way, this is the one I got today: http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20040812093058&CategoryGroupNo=AC5783AE-9475-41AD-BDA5-0997187F44AA&display=6241

I can't comment on the performance yet because I'm still waiting for the account to be activated.

yoyo wrote: »
    Just plug that LAN cable in and it should work without needing a CD, unless you use a USB driver which in that case google for the latest one

Nick

Wont seem to work that way, DSL light isn't appearing on the router so I can't connect to the internet. Was working grand yesterday, stupid thing.

Wont seem to work that way, DSL light isn't appearing on the router so I can't connect to the internet. Was working grand yesterday, stupid thing.

The DSL light being off would have nothing to do with installing a CD or not, that's a line issue of some sort.

Karsini wrote: »
    The DSL light being off would have nothing to do with installing a CD or not, that's a line issue of some sort.

Yeah, using a laptop with the same cable and that's working grand and it doesn't have any eircom software, so I dunno what's up with my own P.C

Yeah, using a laptop with the same cable and that's working grand and it doesn't have any eircom software, so I dunno what's up with my own P.C

Is it a custom build or a dell/hp etc machine? If a branded machine look under support & downloads on their site>Drivers for the chipset & lan drivers, if a custom machine go into device manager (System Properties>JHardware tab>Launch device manager) and look for items with a yellow exclamation mark, right click on these>Properties, Details I think tab and look under hardware ID, copy this into google and it should give you the driver you need to locate

Nick

Thanks for your help. I just have an old 4600 dimension desktop, would apper I need to update the NIC ethernet driver, but seems quite hard to find the right one. I might just get a wireless usb internet adapter if I can't sort it.

Thanks for your help. I just have an old 4600 dimension desktop, would apper I need to update the NIC ethernet driver, but seems quite hard to find the right one. I might just get a wireless usb internet adapter if I can't sort it.

Does THIS driver work? might be worth a shot, for the 4600 but its a series so some components may be the same

Nick

Tried it but it didn't work, I ordered a USB adaptor so that will hopefully do the job. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement