Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone here put a timer on the power?

Options
  • 02-07-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

My dad used to have a timer attached to the plug behind the TV, so we weren't able to turn it on until 8 in the morning. We had gotten into a weird habit of waking up at 5 for the magic round about and the living room was right above my parents bedroom.
    So I was wondering if there are any of those sort of plugs with a child lock on it? The plug behind our TV is very easy to get to and it's quite straight forward to figure out that you just have to press on for the TV to work again.
    If that kind of timer exists where would I look for one? Would it be dangerous to attach a timer to the fuse box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

OK, I don't mean to be smart when I say this but a timer is not your solution.

How about using the phrase 'You are not allowed to put on the TV until 8am. If you do there will be consequences'.

Cheaper than a timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

smiles302 wrote: »

Would it be dangerous to attach a timer to the fuse box?

It could be, especially if there was a chance that somebody could plug (say) and electric heater into any socket on the timer's circuit, which could be a fire risk (at the heater).

Timers have a limited current rating (usually lower than the circuit MCB), so if it feeds a number of sockets you could overload it without being aware, and then it could pose a fire risk (at the timer).

Timers are best used for lamps etc, for security reasons. You can get heavy-duty timers for an electric immersion water heater, and if you think this is the solution you want I suggest you let a qualified electrician install it for you.

If you are trying to stop kids watching TV too early in the morning, try hiding the remote control when you go to bed!

Be at peace,

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

One house we rented had the tv socket wired to a separate fuse on the board and when I didn't want to get kids on the tv I'd flick the fuse and it couldn't be fixed until magically it would come back on hours later. I agree with just saying NO though.

How about getting some new games and leaving out a game on the floor last thing at night - board games one day, lego the next, etc. rotate them around and put away during the day so they are just morning games.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

take the white aerial cable lead out and bring it with you into your room. (my mum did this)

when the kids get up at stupid o clock tell they are not allowed to have it until a time you specify.

simples:D

Advertisement