Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDWRT router

Options
  • 02-07-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for a decent router that has a cable modem and can have ddwrt put onto it any info would be great thanks

wireless g will do fine not an antique but something fairly good 80yoyo or less if anyone knows

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Cable modem as in for UPC? You are wasting your time if so as they will not provision it on their network. If you need a RJ45 WAN port router then the WRT54GL is the one you want, purpose made to have 3rd Party firmware installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rafther

surely if i put ddwrt i can set it up to use upc's broadband?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

rafther wrote: »
    surely if i put ddwrt i can set it up to use upc's broadband?

Yes, as Munstercycling said. You still need to use the UPC cable modem no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

you'll still require UPC's cable modem (the scientific atlanta one ideally)

THis is an absolute peach: http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/whr-hp-g54dd-wireless-g-mimo-performance-router-with-dd-wrt/

would i not be able to get rid of all the upc gear if i get a cable modem/router combination and clone my own mac address using ddwrt?!

sorry if this question is breaking any rules i thought it would be ok as im talking about my own broadband

• Advertisement

i amn't sure how UPC uniquely identify the customer's cable modem on their network, but I don't think it solely based on MAC address - there may be somewhat more to it...I'm sure there is something going on the time schedule between you and all other others served off the local cable loop.

See here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

What are you trying to do - simplify? Reduce power consumption? Have full control of your gear? Use as little space?

Also - I'm not sure dd-wrt supports docsis

have full control and just learn more about networking in general and set up my own server. but im only getting started and still learning about what i need and how to do it

to be honest _ i'd advise you to leave the docsis cable modem stuff to UPC - you won't be able to clone your own device onto their netwrok - I'm sure there are security certificates etc. to ensure that you can't. It's not like in the USA where you can provide your own cable modem - in Ireland UPC provide you with it so they can control it, keep it's firmware up to date, and control the telephone ports / quality of service for voice calls.

If you want to learn about networking - you're best bet is to accept the status quo that you can't use your own cable modem (unlike with ADSL where you can) The next best thing is to get a modem from UPC that will give the device plugged into it an external, public IP address - the sceintific atlanta modem they give out on the 5meg package has this funcionality - their 15 & 30 meg packages with wifi modems doesn't.

presuming you get the scientific atlanta modem - the router I linked to a few post back is an excellent one to mess with, and has a great support forum (plus here of course!) for if you want to push it further. The fact that you're getting a public IP address onto the internet is perfect from a full control aspect

yep i have the scientific atlanta modem they downgraded me from the cisco 2425 after i had so much trouble with it when they were upgrading the network around me, the scientic one is more stable and less signal interruption.
    thanks for the help im goina keep reading around about this surely theres a way to get past anything upc have to stop you using whatever modem you want, its more a case of wanting to do something they wont let you do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 danfiftyfour

Dardania read between the lines he doesn't want to clone his own modem he wants to clone yours, or anybody hooked up to upc cable broadband, well maybe not yours cause you either work for upc or else are just trying to sound like you know what your talking about, why else would you be trying to deter him with all your buzz words.
    Rafther do a little digging mate you'll get there in the end, Its cracked as wide as the grand canyon.

• Advertisement

Dardania read between the lines he doesn't want to clone his own modem he wants to clone yours, or anybody hooked up to upc cable broadband, well maybe not yours cause you either work for upc or else are just trying to sound like you know what your talking about, why else would you be trying to deter him with all your buzz words.
    Rafther do a little digging mate you'll get there in the end, Its cracked as wide as the grand canyon.

more your second assessment - I know shag all about docsis ;-) and don't knock the buzz words - the telecomms industry feeds on them!

TBH I don't see the point of cracking docsis on UPC's network - they're cheap enough, and with generous enough download allowances that there's no need to bother in my opinion.

Advertisement