Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of fuel in Co.Wexford..Where's the cheapest/dearest fuel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

jca wrote: »
    Well, you don't need to be scientist to see black smoke and mpg is simple arithmetic. I don't drive diesel any more but I found it terrible stuff indeed.

To be fair jca, black smoke could be down to something as simple as a dirty air filter which would also cause increased fuel consumption. How old was the car you were driving, what sort of mileage? These are also relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Marhay70 wrote: »
    To be fair jca, black smoke could be down to something as simple as a dirty air filter which would also cause increased fuel consumption. How old was the car you were driving, what sort of mileage? These are also relevant.

I'm not derailing this thread any further by getting into air filters etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Terrible stuff. My mpg on that stuff went down 10 - 15%. Car sluggish too.
    It may be cheaper than anywhere else, but it's not worth it.
    Well, you don't need to be scientist to see black smoke and mpg is simple arithmetic. I don't drive diesel any more but I found it terrible stuff indeed.

And while your at it ignore everything else that might impact on mpg. If you want to make a valid comparison between fuels from different forecourts you need to compare the fuels under identical conditions.

You made an assertion that has already derailed the thread and which could possibly impact on somebody's business. The least you can do is consider other likely causes, of which there are quite a few.

You made an assertion that has already derailed the thread and which could possibly impact on somebody's business. The least you can do is consider other likely causes, of which there are quite a few.

I just don't buy my fuel there anymore because I think it's rubbish quality. My few litres a week will hardly impact on your...Sorry. .their business they're managing to fool enough suckers already.

• Advertisement

141.9 in Martins shop in Tomnalosset still 145.9 in Mace. Texaco in Ballon 138.9. The minute you leave the county the price drops below the 140.9

I just don't buy my fuel there anymore because I think it's rubbish quality. My few litres a week will hardly impact on your...Sorry. .their business they're managing to fool enough suckers already.

You're implying that I have some connection with the service station, I don't. What I do have is knowledge of the workings of the internal combustion engine and that knowledge suggests to me that the scenario you paint is unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Am no expert either in internal combustions ,but surely if you re-fill at 3 different service stations , and you notice black smoke / lesser mpg from fill-up at one of them , would this not suggest that the service-station is at fault rather than your car. ?

Am no expert either in internal combustions ,but surely if you re-fill at 3 different service stations , and you notice black smoke / lesser mpg from fill-up at one of them , would this not suggest that the service-station is at fault rather than your car. ?

Black smoke is a sign that the fuel mix is too rich, i.e. too much fuel and not enough air. Dirty air filter is the simple, obvious cause but other causes can be wear and tear, faulty pump, faulty injectors.

Black smoke is a sign that the fuel mix is too rich, i.e. too much fuel and not enough air. Dirty air filter is the simple, obvious cause but other causes can be wear and tear, faulty pump, faulty injectors.

That's a great air filter I had in my last car then. When using diesel from a certain fuel supplier it got blocked up and made the car smokey and when I got diesel from a different source it unblocked itself and the smoke disappeared, begorra dem Germans thinks of everything and here's me thinkin dem Japanese were clever....

• Advertisement

You're implying that I have some connection with the service station, I don't. What I do have is knowledge of the workings of the internal combustion engine and that knowledge suggests to me that the scenario you paint is unlikely

Bad fuel gives a bad burn a much simpler way of looking at it. Yes, I do understand the inner workings of both petrol and diesel engines. Like anything that combusts quality is everything.

Bad fuel gives a bad burn a much simpler way of looking at it. Yes, I do understand the inner workings of both petrol and diesel engines. Like anything that combusts quality is everything.

Then you will also presumably know the effects and symptoms of using contaminated fuel in a diesel engine, which don't tally with what you describe.
    Have it your way, you obviously have an axe to grind with these people and chose this way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

139.9 in Caim for petrol.

Mace dropped a cent yesterday followed by a cent today leaving him on 143.9. It's probably 137.9 outside the county. Fair play to John Rackard that's a great price by wexford standards.

Then you will also presumably know the effects and symptoms of using contaminated fuel in a diesel engine, which don't tally with what you describe.
    Have it your way, you obviously have an axe to grind with these people and chose this way to do it

I'm not arguing with you it was just my personal experience with that particular brand of diesel. Had it been a good price and good performance I'd be the first on here trying to convince everyone to use it. A mate of mine runs a 06 tdci Mondeo for his sins and uses that brand all the time. He's delighted with it and says the car runs fine. Maintenance wise he'd be very haphazard so if he was complaining I'd take no notice as God himself only knows when the Mondy was last serviced...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Squiggle wrote: »
    In all fairness the most basic scientific scrutiny would not support your argument.

Well that's what it does to my car. No science involved. Maybe it affects other cars differently, but that applegreen diesel doesn't work well in my car. When I go back to diesel from Wexford oil (old dublin road), the car is sweet as a nut.

141.9 in Martins shop in Tomnalosset still 145.9 in Mace. Texaco in Ballon 138.9. The minute you leave the county the price drops below the 140.9

137.9 in Ballon for petrol,119.9 for diesel.Applegreen Bunclody is 139.9 for petrol.

Enniscorthy dragging their heels as usual in dropping prices.

136.9 in John Rackards in Caim this evening.

136.9 in John Rackards in Caim this evening.

7c a litre cheaper than anywhere in Enniscorthy,the price fixing continues in the town.

zerks wrote: »
    7c a litre cheaper than anywhere in Enniscorthy,the price fixing continues in the town.

It sure does. Bunclody is no better Texaco 142.9 I think applegreen are a bit cheaper but I'm not a fan.

• Advertisement

138.9 in Camolin, possibly even cheaper in the small independent, I didn't get that far.
    Gorey is, as usual, dragging its heels. I regularly pass a station in Dalkey where, over the course of the latest drop in fuel prices, petrol has reduced by 8c/litre, Gorey has managed 3c/litre over the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A significant drop in Topaz ( top of the town ) in New Ross with unleaded now 135.9 and diesel 119.9 tonight

Mace have dropped a whole cent to 142.9 ul.... Will be heading through Carlow later I wonder how much it is there?? A damn sight cheaper than Enniscorthy you can bet... Can anything be done about it?

Mace dropped another cent to 141.9 but, wait for it, guy on the island road 135.9, I'm shocked!!! It must be circa 130 everywhere else. ..

Mace dropped another cent to 141.9 but, wait for it, guy on the island road 135.9, I'm shocked!!! It must be circa 130 everywhere else. ..

It must break his heart dropping the price in Mace.

134.9 in Castlebridge,the cheapest I found in the SE was on the Tramore Rd. in Waterford @ 128.9

Mace finally dropped below the 140 barrier to 138.9 while everyone else including Jimmy Gahan are 135.9. Martins shop in Tomnalosset are now in pole position at 141.9!!

Martins now dropped to 135.9. I wonder were the fuel retailers of Enniscorthy paid a visit by someone? Very unusual to see any of the stingy feckers dropping their prices during the day. Maybe the cartel had a meeting. ..

Martins now dropped to 135.9. I wonder were the fuel retailers of Enniscorthy paid a visit by someone? Very unusual to see any of the stingy feckers dropping their prices during the day. Maybe the cartel had a meeting. ..

I wonder if they are monitoring this thread?
    As low as 127.9 in Kilkenny with diesel @ 114.9,the average nationwide is still 4 or 5 cent cheaper than Enniscorthy.

I wonder if they are monitoring this thread?
    As low as 127.9 in Kilkenny with diesel @ 114.9,the average nationwide is still 4 or 5 cent cheaper than Enniscorthy.

We'll never catch down, will we?

• Advertisement

It struggled down to 137.9 in Gorey today, I bought it in Dublin on Saturday for 132.9. As I'm in Dublin at least once a week, that's where I'll be buying it from now on.

Advertisement