Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colds

Options
  • 02-07-2010 9:32pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I woke up this morning with a cold. I'm sure James will be next. Is there anything I can do to alleviate any symptoms he might have apart from calpol? How long do colds last for in babies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

How old is he? The worst thing for babies when they get a cold is that they can't blow their nose, so they end up having trouble taking their bottles and sleeping as they can't breathe through their nose. You can get a couple of things to help unblock their nose, including Karvol which is like Olbas Oil for babies and also saline drops or a nasal aspirator.

I remember Zain got his first cold when he was 12 weeks old and that was the first time he was sick but it didn't last too long, maybe two or three days.

There's always a chance that he won't get the cold. I know he should have the same immunity as you, but babies aren't always affected the same way by things as us. Fingers crossed he doesn't but if he does then Calpol, plenty of fluids and plenty of love will sort him out...........

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

He's 5 months, hasn't been breastfed since 3 months. I have Karvol and snuffle babe. I have some frozen breastmilk to give him too. My cure got myself is a big dose of NyQuil and a hot whiskey, he's a bit young for that! ;)

Hopefully he won't get it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am in the same boat as you now - how did you get on? Hugs from us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

First thing we do is put a small triangular pillow (we inherited somewhere along the way) under his mattress to raise his head and torso a little to stop the nose and sinuses clogging too badly. Then put on the olbas oil fan thingy to help him breath easier.

But we all know the only real cure for colds is lots of cuddles! :)

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Am in the same boat as you now - how did you get on? Hugs from us.

His nose is only starting to run now. He's been sleeping a lot and a bit less cheerful. To be honest he's dealing with it better than me! I'm feeling very sorry for myself. :) moving house this week. He's sitting beside me here reading his cloth book grinning over at me <3

• Advertisement

Good luck with the house move. Hope that you feel both feel better soon. My son is in my arms now and am kissing his forehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Try a Vicks Plug-in at night time, it can be used for babies from 3months+. I had to use it last week for Sinéad and i thought it made a difference during the night. vickscomfortingvapour.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Ben had a bit of a snotty nose issue at about 16 weeks.. I tilted his mattress a fair bit to stop his nose getting to blocked up at night and used the karvol drops on a breast pad stuck on the side of the cot :rolleyes:

the saline drops are brilliant at night-time to clear the nose but don't go mad with them, they'll thin the lining of the nose over time and leave it sore.. so a shot in each nostril should do it.. and plenty of cuddles:D

we had it for 2 weeks and i was starting to think it was hayfever..turned out it was the milk!! :eek:
    all good now though..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Try a Vicks Plug-in at night time, it can be used for babies from 3months+. I had to use it last week for Sinéad and i thought it made a difference during the night. vickscomfortingvapour.jpg

Never seen this before, thanks for the tip, my ds has a snotty nose at the mo too, actually thinking its hayfever, both myself and the dh have it so hopefully it will pass. On the funny side he has actually learned at the grand age of seven months to blow his nose, unfortunatley he hasnt learned that he needs a tissue while doing it.:D Very funny, always seems to do it when Im out and about. He does be delighted with himself tho when he manages to snort it out, gross but funny.
    Personally finding the nasal aspirator great, got one in mothercare for 7.99 or something like that, was always afraid to use it when he was younger, but finding it great now. He always think he's going to get a chew of it and goes mad when i use it on his nose, but can see thats his happier after I use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Robin had a cold a few months ago and it was ok. He had a runny nose, but not blocked so I just wiped it for him from time to time. He slept loads in my arms and just woke for feeds. lasted around a week. I think he coughed a little too.
    tbh this was easier than him not being sick at the time. we had some visitors that week and everyone commented on how well behaved he was. had to explain that he's unwell

• Advertisement

We're still fecking sick in this house, off to the doctor in the morning.

Poor James has been coughing and sleeping a lot today, but his temperature has been fine. So I decided to defrost some breastmilk I have stored and give it to him before bed. I tasted it and it was fine. He got about 2 ounces into it, started screaming and threw it all back up over me. So I got him a formula bottle and he did the same. The poor wretch. So he's in bed asleep now with an empty belly. :(

You poor pets, hope that you all feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Das Kitty wrote: »

Poor James has been coughing and sleeping a lot today, but his temperature has been fine. So I decided to defrost some breastmilk I have stored and give it to him before bed. I tasted it and it was fine. He got about 2 ounces into it, started screaming and threw it all back up over me. So I got him a formula bottle and he did the same. The poor wretch. So he's in bed asleep now with an empty belly. :(

poor little guy.
    don't worry about him not having that he needs sleep to heal. It's normal to eat a bit less and sleep more when sick. He knows what's good for him. Hopefully doc will help.

hope you all feel better soon!

brought Robin for his shots today - felt like a total bitch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Das Kitty wrote: »

This seems to be going around Das Kitty, two kids around here with same thing, hope he's better soon.

Also went looking for the vicks vapour thing and the chemist's I went into said that it is very hard to get,, altho they had refills for it:confused:

Anyway, I got a version of it made by sudafed and it only cost 7.49 and its great, used it for a few hours before ds went to bed and cleared the runny nose in no time. Found it a bit overpowering tho and wouldnt leave it plugged in over night. Thanks again for the tip.

Advertisement