Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To upgrade or not?

Options
  • 02-07-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading my Dell 720h2c (q6850 3.7ghz , 8gb ddr,2 x 8800gtx , physx ,etc etc )

What would I go for a top end gaming rig budget 3-4k ,would it be worth doing as the above still runs most games fine @ 1900x1200 , and would I get much selling this to make it worthwhile?

Im not ruling out building it myself

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

1) An i7-980X rig with 12GB DDR3-2166 and multiple HD5870s/HD5790s/GTX480s and a GT220 for discrete PhysX/CUDA support, SSD for OS and critical files and RAID5'd 1TB HDDs for primary file storage.

2) Nope :p

3) Nope :p

At the moment you'd only be doing it for the good of your e-penis, wait for DX11 and massively-multithreaded game engines to become more prevalent and RAID5 to start talking to larger-capacity TRIM-capable SSDs before taking the plunge IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

[DF]Lenny wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading my Dell 720h2c (q6850 3.7ghz , 8gb ddr,2 x 8800gtx , physx ,etc etc )

What would I go for a top end gaming rig budget 3-4k ,would it be worth doing as the above still runs most games fine @ 1900x1200 , and would I get much selling this to make it worthwhile?

Im not ruling out building it myself

Upgrade the gfx card when you find a game worth playing you can't play @ the settings you want....

Otherwise as Solitare suggests: wait until there is a worthwhile tech jump before upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

not worth the upgrade so it seems

Advertisement