Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls and fashion - they are starting young.

Options
  • 02-07-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Im a childminder for a family and mind two beautiful children. During the week the eldest who is 4 and half went to her room to get dressed. I went to check on her and I was shocked to see what she wanted to wear. She picked out one of those long tops that you would wear with leggings. She wore it many times before but this time she wanted to wear only that and wanted to wear it as a dress. I explained that it was top and that she would need leggings.

After much talking she told me that she wants to wear something very short and that what she picked out can be used as a dress. No way was she pulling the wool over my eyes and needless to say she didnt get her way. I was gobsmacked. I love kids but my god it terrifies me to have any of own. Its so good to hand them back at the end of the day but when Im not minding them I miss them. Sorry two rants in one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I had the same problem with my youngest daughter who is nearly 4. She wanted to wear the tunic as a dress, but it was becuse she was very warm in her long dresses and leggings due to the recent hot weather. We compromised by putting on shorts instead, and that's what she wears ever since. She certainly doesn't have attracting the opposite sex in mind, as I'm sure that little girl you mind doesn't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 doodlenoodle

I don't have that issue often with my twin girls, 4 year old, but when it happens I feel awful. They don't mean anything by their choices, it could just be a colour or as Ilovemyjob said, it's just hot.
    Around the house I don't care what they wear or don't wear, but I almost felt dirty when trying to explain that you can't wear short or revealing things in public. It just was impossible to answer their question of "why"?
    There is no provocation in their mind, and it felt horrible to having to tamper with their innocence, trying to explain something that really shouldn't matter with children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

my daughter LOVES her clothes, she's like a shopaholic when she steps foot in the clothes shops! she's genuinely gutted when i say she can't have everything she's tried on, i dunno what she'll be like when she's in her teens :eek:

revealing clothes is never an issue tbh, she hasn't got anything innappropriate, or any long tops that could be made innappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

my daughter LOVES her clothes, she's like a shopaholic when she steps foot in the clothes shops! she's genuinely gutted when i say she can't have everything she's tried on, i dunno what she'll be like when she's in her teens :eek:

revealing clothes is never an issue tbh, she hasn't got anything innappropriate, or any long tops that could be made innappropriate.

My daughter only turned 11 yesterday and she is the same.........Fashion mad.
    She gets her cue from me as I too am clothes and shopping mad and I love the fun we have bonding over fashion. I know it is trivial but it allows us some great quality time for girly chats often leading into the bigger issues as we head to town for a day shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My girls are fashion mad, especially the 8 yr old and she is very naturally stylish. I dont mind too much as she is aware about wearing things too short, hotpants go with thick tights at winter or short skirts go with leggings so far its all good. Now she is branching out to hair accessories too. The younger one will have a tantrum about what she wants to wear, she loves wearing tights so now its summer I have 3 days at least a week whn I have toa rgue with her that it is too warm for tights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thankfully my daughter has about as much interest in fashion as I do :o so it's jeans or leggings, t shirts and runners pretty much all the time. As long as it's comfy she's happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I work for a popular children's wear retailer and sometimes I look at the clothes that come in and think...I'd feel half naked in this on a beach, who would put their 4 year old in it?

People seem to think it's cute to dress their kids like adults. It scares me.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

stop dressing your daughters in 21 year old clothes, Hotpants on an 8 year old, is there something mentally wrong with you? shame on you,
    what ever happened to hipsters and o neills bottoms, ???
    The innocent child is gone.
    Now its all about clothes that skanks like britney wears.
    stop dressing your kids like hookers
    :mad:

Advertisement