Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any Tour de france winners in history not suspected of doping?

• 02-07-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭

Is there any winning cyclist in the history of their TDF career that have not been suspected of doping or disqalified during their career for taking illegal drugs?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

sxt wrote: »
    Is there any cyclist in the history of their TDF career that have not been suspected of doping or disqalified during their career for taking illegal drugs?

With regard to winners

Greg Lemond is widely regaded as clean

Carlos Sastre to a lesser extent mainly due to his association with Once and latterly Riis.
    All the others I an aware of at least allegations or rumours.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,683 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The first winner (1903)Maurice Garin

He was, however, disqualified (and banned for 2 years) along with 8 others for cheating after initially winning in 1904. Some of the allegations included that his main opponent was beaten up by fans, he caught a train for one stage, some riders were spreading tacks on the road to cause punctures, and riders were poisoning each other.

However he was never, as far as I am aware, suspected of doping:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I would say Lemond is pretty much it in the more modern era.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    However he was never, as far as I am aware, suspected of doping:D

Sorry Beasty but Cocaine and strycnine were his favoured supplements ! Every cyclist prior to 1967 technically didn't dope as there were no illegal/banned drugs and no testing. Pretty much all were dabbling to a greater or lesser extend (Charly Gaul went of on a 30 year paranoid psychotic trip once he retired as a result).
    Since 1967 I's agree with Quigs LeMond is it. Hinault, Thevenet, Fignon, Merckx and others have all to a greater or lesser degree even admitted it.

Advertisement