Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever.

Options
  • 02-07-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Any updates on this game? I've been waiting 13 years for this to come out. It better be the greatest game of all time or else it'll be a huge disappointment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Thats Jokewang!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Came out ages ago!
    Didnt you see the exclusive review?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a pity it only ever came out on the Atari Jaguar, but what a swansong for that machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's the character development that did it for me. I didn't think I could empathise with a wise-cracking misogynistic dickhead like Duke, but the writers sure proved me wrong. I never thought he might be using the bravado and threats as a shield to hide his fragile sensitive sould from the world. Duke opened my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Duke should stay away from FPS - there are already fantastic FPS's out there, and him alone couldn't carry his way past mediocrity. Look at Castle Wolfenstein; forgotten and useless. A couple of catchphrases won't be enough. Best bet would to either go retro (like they're planning) or maybe 3rd Person Shooter with a unique slant on it. But whatever happens, it'll be a big disappointment.

There weren't many FPS games for Duke to contend with back in the day, there's dozens and dozens of great ones now, who've done pretty much everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I particularly liked the ear wriggling portions of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The almost realistic graphics paired with the lifelike AI did it for me. When I killed Bob the bouncer by mistake I felt like a real person had been lost to us forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Look at Castle Wolfenstein; forgotten and useless.

Castle Wolfenstein isn't an fps game :pac:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein wasn't forgotten or useless, and spawned Enemy Territory.......

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

It's my pick for Game of the Year 2011. Always bet on duke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm just amazed at how the game made me CARE for strippers, usually I just beat them to death for my money :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ThatCrazyGuy

Why didnt they/dont just rename the sequel (if there ever IS going to be one) to a new name.

Even if they started from stratch tomorrow and it came out in 3 years. If it had the "forever" title attached. It wont be able to live up to the hype.

Why not call it Duke Nukem whatever etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sounds like everyones opinion on the franchise at this stage

Duke Nukem? Whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

If the developers had any brains they would release something, anything remotely like the old duke nukem, throw in chuck norris, aplane with snakes on it, etc, etc and a few other nerd things and they'd make a truckload of money no matter how utterly crap the end product would be

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DNF will be case-studied for decades to come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Until this one is on the shelf available to buy it's never coming out! Zero Punctuation had some choice words about it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

always bet on duke

I meant how the franchise is dead. Nobody really gives a **** anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I've been saving up my pocket money since duke nukem forever was first announced, its either wait a little longer and get the game or buy that ferrari I've been eyeing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Duke should stay away from FPS - there are already fantastic FPS's out there, and him alone couldn't carry his way past mediocrity. Look at Castle Wolfenstein; forgotten and useless. A couple of catchphrases won't be enough. Best bet would to either go retro (like they're planning) or maybe 3rd Person Shooter with a unique slant on it. But whatever happens, it'll be a big disappointment.

There weren't many FPS games for Duke to contend with back in the day, there's dozens and dozens of great ones now, who've done pretty much everything.

wolfenstein always has and will always be the best FPS ever. im sorry but theirs no valid argument.

as far as duke nukem... i wish they would bring one out for old times sake and not just for the money.

Pdfile wrote: »
    wolfenstein always has and will always be the best FPS ever. im sorry but theirs no valid argument.

Yes there is. It's dated badly compared tonew releases.

Pdfile wrote: »

LOL i didn't say either were 'the best FPS ever'; you must've read into my words to think that. Either that or i should've said "much like Return to Castle Wolfenstein" which was a huge flop, having such a seminal original game.

and "Always Bet on Duke" :pac::pac::pac: :p more like Deadbeat Dad Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

LOL i didn't say either were 'the best FPS ever'; you must've read into my words to think that. Either that or i should've said "much like Return to Castle Wolfenstein" which was a huge flop, having such a seminal original game.

and "Always Bet on Duke" :pac::pac::pac: :p more like Deadbeat Dad Nukem

LOL QUE

RTCW wasnt a flop, it was huge, the multiplayer is stil lbig today. And the sp was brilliant.

I should really expound on the points i mean! It sold ~620,000 units worldwide, which isn't great. It's good -definitely made a profit- but it's not a big-seller at all, especially compared to others in the FPS genre.

Just checked it on metacritic (88 - which is fantastic), i'm blown away by that; i never really heard anything great about it. Does it innovate anything in the FPS genre?

what does QUE mean? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

I should really expound on the points i mean! It sold ~620,000 units worldwide, which isn't great. It's good -definitely made a profit- but it's not a big-seller at all, especially compared to others in the FPS genre.

Just checked it on metacritic (88 - which is fantastic), i'm blown away by that; i never really heard anything great about it. Does it innovate anything in the FPS genre?

It means 'what' in spanish.

RTCW was fantastic until the uber soldiers turned up and it took a nose dive into ****ty!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Pronounced: Kay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

obligatory
    Lol_que.jpg?1258587751

Advertisement