Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

old style ('99-'01) Focus - 1.4 or 1.6??advice welcome

• 02-07-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

looking to pick up a cheap second car. Thinking of Ford Focus, but not sure what size to go for...so your advice would be appreciated.

1.4 or 1.6? Apart from cheaper tax, is the 1.4 better from a fuel economy point of view? Or is it a false economy? Driving would be a mix of in traffic and a bit on motor way (short runs though, about 30 mins at a time usually).
    In 1.4 we would obviously be going for the hatchback - 5 door. In 1.6 the saloon. Any we like are the Ghia model, so relatively nice spec for the age.

What would people in the know recommend 1.4 hatch or 1.6 saloon? Does the 1.6 burn more fuel? or is it a small difference?

TY in advance!

Comments

Speaking from experience, the 1.4 models tend to lack in power (you'll know about it when you go to overtake). 1.6 models I've been told lack power in pick up in 5th. Fuel economy wise there's not much of a difference between them.

The only problem you might come across is the heater blower motor, they tend to go but it's not expensive to fix, in all they're a good car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.4 litre is dog slow, only has something like 80bhp. The 1.6 litre has 100bhp which isn't great either but a whole lot better than the 1.4 litre. Fuel economy is similar as the 1.6 litre has less work to do to move the car around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I've got a 1.4 Puma. I think its a similar engine to the Focus (the Puma engine produces 90bhp compared to Focus's 75bhp). Its enough power for me as its my first car but I think a bit more power wouldn't hurt. Sometimes I wish I had gone for the bigger 1.7 Puma with its brilliant VCT engine.

Anyway, My Puma does around 30-35mpg normal driving. Upto 45mpg super-economical driving. Its also a dying engine so I'ld say an engine in good nick should do around 5 more mpg than mine. 1.6 should do similar.

So I'ld say go for the 1.6 unless you're on a budget.

The Heater Control Valve is a common problem in Ford's of that age. The plastic it is made of is very bad quality and over time will crack and start to leak the coolant or will catastrophically break off spilling coolant all over the engine bay (like mine did). But its easy to fix. New valve costs about €45 and you can easily replace it yourself in about 10-20mins. Just remember to check for any air locks in the cooling system afterwards though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Speaking from experience, the 1.4 models tend to lack in power (you'll know about it when you go to overtake). 1.6 models I've been told lack power in pick up in 5th. Fuel economy wise there's not much of a difference between them.

The only problem you might come across is the heater blower motor, they tend to go but it's not expensive to fix, in all they're a good car.

1.6 models have the same power and torque in every gear.

5th gear is quite high however, in an aim for economy. 100bhp was quite competitive for a 1.6 of that era btw.

Advertisement