Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lantern Inn reopen

Options
  • 02-07-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

I just drove past the lantern inn on the ballybane road and saw it is open again. Does anyone know who has it now out of curiosity???
    It was packed in there from what I saw...
    Nice to have a local to pop down to for the footie ect..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

oooooooh , The Lantern. Salubrious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

An absolute DIVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I heard it was one of the families involved in the conflict in Limerick that owns it now but that's just a rumour as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

There are a lot of words I would like to use in describing the place, none of which I can post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

the last pub on the planet that I would set foot in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

Caliden wrote: »
    I heard it was one of the families involved in the conflict in Limerick that owns it now but that's just a rumour as far as I can tell.

I heard this as well but to be honest it cant be true as CAB would be all over them. They cant even leave there houses if they do the guards take cars etc of them cant see how they could have a pub tbh... but you'd never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    oooooooh , The Lantern. Salubrious :D

Might head down for a game of darts, who's in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

magicface1 wrote: »
    I heard this as well but to be honest it cant be true as CAB would be all over them. They cant even leave there houses if they do the guards take cars etc of them cant see how they could have a pub tbh... but you'd never know.

I also heard this, I reckon its bull alright

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can we leave rumours at the door?
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Its the Lydon's who own that building whom are very picky as to who they let into their premises, they wouldnt let gangsters from Limerick take it over!

They wouldnt even let the Krmca guys take the Westside Tavern thats how picky they are!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Shanley wrote: »
    Its the Lydon's who own that building whom are very picky as to who they let into their premises

The missus and D. himself now run entirely separate operations so which of them owns the Lantern ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Its the Lydon's who own that building whom are very picky as to who they let into their premises, they wouldnt let gangsters from Limerick take it over!

They wouldnt even let the Krmca guys take the Westside Tavern thats how picky they are!

What's wrong with the Krcma guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If they wouldn't let the lads take it over then they haven't a clue what they're at. Krcma is a very well run pub and the lads are spot on and very good business people.

Back on topic, my first and only time I was in it was in 1998. A few of us went in after work and were served by a barman with both wrists in plaster and two black eyes. Apparently there had been some trouble in there the night before. My last time in there I'll tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Venue for the next Boards Beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I used to go there years ago when I think it was Mattie O Toole who had it... It wasn't the ritz alright but certainly not a dive. It was a great pub back then and an absolute goldmine. I know of some people from other areas of the city who wouldn't go there because of things they had 'heard' but most people who went there a few times got to know it was an ok place.
    There was no trouble/fights in there that time but bear in mind, this was before the last owners/tennants about roughly over 5 years before it closed...
    My God I feel old now....

Also, it was nice to be able to bring the few pints upstairs while playing snooker :)

I haven't said nice things about the place, but I do remember when it was a nice place for a pint. Not the Ritz as you say, but sure who wants that when you're after a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The missus and D. himself now run entirely separate operations so which of them owns the Lantern ???
    The missus both the Westside and Lantern Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nollaigl

That place was always a dive and always trouble.
    I live in Ballybane and this weekend has been terrible on Saturday night it was so bad the cops were outside it with a paddywagon.
    Last night there was afwul noise again and at one point a naked lad on the wall!
    Does anyone know anything about the laws governing this kind of place remaining open and creating public disorder problems. We have enough problems in Ballybane!!!

Nollaigl wrote: »
    I live in Ballybane and this weekend has been terrible on Saturday night it was so bad the cops were outside it with a paddywagon.
    Last night there was afwul noise again and at one point a naked lad on the wall!
    Does anyone know anything about the laws governing this kind of place remaining open and creating public disorder problems. We have enough problems in Ballybane!!!

I too am from ballybane, and have lived there for a great number of years.
    You are highly mistaken if you think the lantern was always trouble.. How long have you lived in the area out of curiosity? Yes, there can be noise at times, and I am not condoning (sp) that as I find it a nuisance also. Did these event regarding the naked man/paddywagon occur in the vicinity of the pub? I'm about a 5 min walk from it so maybe not as much bare faced cheek(hehe) where I am.
    Here's some genuine advice for you and I don't want you to take it the wrong way. Ballybane is not a glamourous place, I'll give you that. There is antisocial behaviour problems at times as other areas have. There is however, in many areas of ballybane, a very good community spirit. This is what I like about the place, sure it can be like an eposode of shameless at times, but the friendlyness of my neighbours makes up for all the bad things, ie i wouldn't like to live in an area where you don't even know what your next door neighbour looks like..
    The issue regarding the naked man though, I'm sure indecent exposure is a serious offence, other than that the pub has done nothing wrong afaik...

Edited extra>> It is not the pub creating public order offences, it's the 'public'... That is to say, you could have trouble in the area without the pub open as we have had in the past...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

btw anyone with a bit of entreprenurial spirit..
    the Westside Tavern is still available for rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Nollaigl

In fairness Marty the Lantern was ok years ago and actually served lovely carvery. But in the last 2 or 3 years of its last existence it was not a nice place and there was an awful lot of trouble there.

I'm just pissed that not only has the recession brought down the price of my house lately there are horses wondering all over the place and now the possibility of serious public disorder at night! The area was a lot more desirable not any more............... :(

In fairness Marty the Lantern was ok years ago and actually served lovely carvery. But in the last 2 or 3 years of its last existence it was not a nice place and there was an awful lot of trouble there.

I'm just pissed that not only has the recession brought down the price of my house lately there are horses wondering all over the place and now the possibility of serious public disorder at night! The area was a lot more desirable not any more............... :(

Ah yes Nollaigl, it was years ago I was refering to, I wasn't in the place for as much as a pint in the last 5-6 years of it open. I know the time period you're on about now, ie there was no bouncers needed when I used to go there.. And on the horses issue, I totally agree. They make an awful mess as well as a possible danger to kids. This issue has only resurfaced recently though, seems every time there's a recession, there must be handy money for 'somefolk' in breeding horses.
    Regarding your post above, spot on. ;)

The cops being outside of a pub is no indication of what a place is like.

The cops are always sitting in the wagon outside a pub near me. They just want to have the place closed so that they don't have anything to deal with. Any time there was trouble there over the years, the cops would suddenly become un-contactable. I'm talking about a niteclub that is open once or twice a week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    Venue for the next Boards Beers?
    Only if we can't get the Burren Mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

snubbleste wrote: »
    btw anyone with a bit of entreprenurial spirit..
    the Westside Tavern is still available for rent
    Apparently she is asking for quite a large deposit and rent for the place, two different people have been interested in taking over the lease but she won't budge on the price.

Advertisement