Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wirelessly bridging Netopia 2247 and/or Belkin F5D7633 and/or Linksys WRT54GS

Options
  • 03-07-2010 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it possible to wirelessly bridge two of the above three routers? I basically want to use either the Netopia 2247 or Belkin F5D7633 as a modem router to connect to the internet via DSL, I will have that connected to a Desktop PC downstairs and I have another 2 desktop PCs in a single room upstairs so I want to use another router upstairs and I don't want to use any cables between down and up.

Both the Netopia and Belkin have a bridging option but I couldn't get it to work. The Netopia only has an enable/disable bridging option.

I once bridged the non-wireless eircom modem with the WRT54GS but that was with a cable...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

rash0001 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it possible to wirelessly bridge two of the above three routers? I basically want to use either the Netopia 2247 or Belkin F5D7633 as a modem router to connect to the internet via DSL, I will have that connected to a Desktop PC downstairs and I have another 2 desktop PCs in a single room upstairs so I want to use another router upstairs and I don't want to use any cables between down and up.

Both the Netopia and Belkin have a bridging option but I couldn't get it to work. The Netopia only has an enable/disable bridging option.

I once bridged the non-wireless eircom modem with the WRT54GS but that was with a cable...

Install DD-WRT or OpenWRT (and almost certainly other firmwares) and you can use the WRT54GS to client bridge or use WDS to connect to any other wifi router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭rash0001

Spear wrote: »
    Install DD-WRT or OpenWRT (and almost certainly other firmwares) and you can use the WRT54GS to client bridge or use WDS to connect to any other wifi router.

Is there any other way? The WRT54GS is Version 5 and it looks difficult and risky. So I want to know if I can do it without having to change the firmware.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is there any other way? The WRT54GS is Version 5 and it looks difficult and risky. So I want to know if I can do it without having to change the firmware.

The WRT54GS v5 should support WDS under the plain firmware, but the other routers may not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭rash0001

Spear wrote: »
    The WRT54GS v5 should support WDS under the plain firmware, but the other routers may not.

Can you give me a general overview of what need to be done to set up WDS on any router which supports it?

Can you give me a general overview of what need to be done to set up WDS on any router which supports it?

There's a guide here

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47118

But it's much simpler with something like DDWRT:

Set_WDS_Fon.JPG

• Advertisement
Advertisement