Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 questions please

• 03-07-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

My query is this: I have a toilet base that has 4 screws holding it to a concrete floor i have noticed in the last few months the Toilet is actually moving when u sit on it etc.

I tried to remove the screws i managed 1 but the other 3 are Rusty they are flat heads i just cant manage to get them out any tips how i night get them out ?

Would i need to put new raw plugs in ??

also my second query is sometimes when i put on my heating in the house sometimes it comes on but then goes off, i have noticed there is a tempetaure gage has from i think 15 -25 like a dial but when the heat goes off, i raise up the dial is there a sensor in my bedroom that determines when the heat comes on or off, my room gets very hot and even when i turn the radiator off its still reasonably hot and i have bled them any clues to either of those queiries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

If you put a bead of silicone around the base of the toilet that will stop the toilet moving.

The gauge with the numbers 15 to 25ish is your thermostat, it sense's the temp and is used to control the temp in the house. When you turn the range up the heating fires back up to reach the new temp setpoint.

hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

faolteam wrote: »
    My query is this: I have a toilet base that has 4 screws holding it to a concrete floor i have noticed in the last few months the Toilet is actually moving when u sit on it etc.

I tried to remove the screws i managed 1 but the other 3 are Rusty they are flat heads i just cant manage to get them out any tips how i night get them out ?

Would i need to put new raw plugs in ??

also my second query is sometimes when i put on my heating in the house sometimes it comes on but then goes off, i have noticed there is a tempetaure gage has from i think 15 -25 like a dial but when the heat goes off, i raise up the dial is there a sensor in my bedroom that determines when the heat comes on or off, my room gets very hot and even when i turn the radiator off its still reasonably hot and i have bled them any clues to either of those queiries

The scews first: If they are too tight to move a squirt of WD40 left for a day might shift them. Alternatively, if you have one, a hand drill/screwdriver with a hammer action will certainly release them. I wouldn't personally rely on silicone to stop the movement. If you can get the screws out, then since they are normally inserted into plastic plugs and you can simply screw in another screw.

I'm not sure I understand the second question. However, it would be a little unusual for the boiler timer (the thing that turns the heating on and off) to be in a bedroom. It would even be unusual for the house thermostat to be in a bedroom, so where is the "15-25 like a dial" located? If it's somewhere like in a hallway then set it to the temperature you want. Unless you have thermostatic valves on the rads in your bedroom that rooms rads will simply heat up until the location of the "15-25" control is has reached the set temperature (eg. the hallway).

There will be two controls on your heating system (probably)--The boiler thermostat that regulates at what flow temperature the boiler cuts in and out, and the house stat that sets the temperature of the area where the thermostat is located. The boiler thermostat will be located in the boiler casing.

If the radiators in your bedroom are turned on when the heating system is working, they will be fiilled with hot water, and that takes some time to cool down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

going back to the toilet with the screws i did the wd 40 and i managed to get 2 out but in honesty they just came out full of rust and when i did turn they had lost there thread

i even tried to put another screw in the hole but it just wouldnt tighten , i guess i have to get new raw plugs into it some how

the other 2 have no heads or grips so i dont know how to get them out any more clues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

faolteam wrote: »
    going back to the toilet with the screws i did the wd 40 and i managed to get 2 out but in honesty they just came out full of rust and when i did turn they had lost there thread

i even tried to put another screw in the hole but it just wouldnt tighten , i guess i have to get new raw plugs into it some how

Not sure I fully understand you there. Did you get three of the four screws out?You could try an easy out on the screw, that might help. Failing that, try to cut it with a hacksaw and remove the pan and remove the remaining screw then. You can re-drill the holes to clear the plugs that are currently in there and put new ones in.

no i got 2 of the 4 out
    i even got a Jml screw extractor and that was a dead loss
    not to sure what u mean by a pan

but getting a hacksaw in there is almost impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The Pan is the name for the part of the toilet that you sit on.
    You are going to have to remove this to get the new plugs in and remove the old ones. You may need to epoxy in the new plugs if the holes are oversized, or you can fit larger plugs (but you may need to make the hole bigger)

Flat heads are a pain in the ass, you will need to take your time and not use a cordless etc screwdriver they will just hop out and might break the pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If the heads of the screws are damaged, then as earlier posters said, you will have to take out the lavatory pan in order to replace them. If you've tried a screw extractor that would suggest you have drlled into the screw heads. If you have, then take a larger drill (say 5 mm) and drill down until thew screw head comes off. If you haven't drilled them already, then first use a small diameter drill to drill a pilot hole, then the 5mm to release the screw head. Now you will be able to lift the pann out of the way and get pliers or a mole wrench on the screw shafts to get them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

ART6 wrote: »
    If the heads of the screws are damaged, then as earlier posters said, you will have to take out the lavatory pan in order to replace them. If you've tried a screw extractor that would suggest you have drlled into the screw heads. If you have, then take a larger drill (say 5 mm) and drill down until thew screw head comes off. If you haven't drilled them already, then first use a small diameter drill to drill a pilot hole, then the 5mm to release the screw head. Now you will be able to lift the pann out of the way and get pliers or a mole wrench on the screw shafts to get them out.

+1
    Failing that, you can get the blade of a hacksaw and slide it between the base of the pan and the floor. Use patience and a bit of time, should cut through the screw.

thanks i keep u posted

Advertisement