Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need To Free Up Cash - Selling Alfa

• 03-07-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

OK, I need to free up some cash for myself and I think I might sell my Alfa 147. I'm wondering though is it worth it to do. It's a 2006 1.6 TS, I brought it in from the UK 2 years ago, it now has 36k miles, and I reckon the most I could get for it now is about 7-7.5k. Would this be accurate?

Then I'll need to buy something to replace it, I was thinking along the lines of a Seat Leon or something. Anything else which I could consider, around the 1500 mark or so?

So basically, am I wasting my time even looking at this possibility? Am I being over realistic in my valuation of my current car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Am I being over realistic in my valuation of my current car?

I don't think so. I think your valuation of your 147 is pretty ok. But as what is the worth of a valuation, it depends completely on what way the market is - and at a danger of stating the obvious - the market is not good for selling a car.

If you are desperate for a very quick couple of grand in cash, sell your car at a keen price (5-6k?) And buy a banger. If you're not that desperate, just keep driving and enjoying your nice Alfa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

unkel wrote: »
    I don't think so. I think your valuation of your 147 is pretty ok. But as what is the worth of a valuation, it depends completely on what way the market is - and at a danger of stating the obvious - the market is not good for selling a car.

If you are desperate for a very quick couple of grand in cash, sell your car at a keen price (5-6k?) And buy a banger. If you're not that desperate, just keep driving and enjoying your nice Alfa...

Yeah see that's the thing, I enjoy the car I have, and I would consider it worth more to me than the 6-7k I would get for it now.

Also I do not need the money to pay a debt or anything, it's not urgent, but I have some plans which require me to get some capital. I could loan it from my family but I would rather get it together myself if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think €7/7.5k is very optimystic to be honest. There is one on carzone from a dealer with a bit more mileage but they are asking €5,950 for it.

Does your one come with a full service history? That is very important with these cars and anyone who knows their Alfas will walk away from one that doesn't have evidence of it being looked after properly. Also at 4 years old it will be due it's first NCT. At 36k miles it going to need a timing belt and water pump change if not already done. If both of these things are not done yet then it will definately effect the selling price and it's appeal to a potenial buyer.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think €7/7.5k is very optimystic to be honest. There is one on carzone from a dealer with a bit more mileage but they are asking €5,950 for it.

Does your one come with a full service history? That is very important with these cars and anyone who knows their Alfas will walk away from one that doesn't have evidence of it being looked after properly. Also at 4 years old it will be due it's first NCT. At 36k miles it going to need a timing belt and water pump change if not already done. If both of these things are not done yet then it will definately effect the selling price and it's appeal to a potenial buyer.

It has FSH, timing belt done and an NCT until 06/12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Should be easier to sell then but imo I still think €7k is too high. Best of luck though.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Should be easier to sell then but imo I still think €7k is too high. Best of luck though.

Thanks. I'll think about it over the weekend and decide what to do then!

I would say €6000 - €7000, if you want a quick sale then go with €7000 and be willing to let it go for €6500.

Advertisement