Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderdome.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Well, there goes half our material by the thought police. :rolleyes:

So how does that work ?
    We can only make gay jokes if a poster has not posted in LGBT ?
    Then we'd have to search for them first.

One delicate soul entered the insult thread, got hurt, threw a hissy fit and now wants the game changed even though he's not playing any more.

That's a bit like him trying a boxing club, getting a black eye and then insisting everyone wear body armour in future even though he's leaving.

no - you can't quote from posts made in either of those forums. Like I said - You all slag my diabetes, but you don't go quoting posts I've made in LTI. This would be the same. If someone posts in, say, Parenting saying they have a disabled child, then you don't use that against them, but I doubt that anyone would anyway. Nothing has changed really.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I never said don't make those sort of comments, it seems that of late people are going digging through people's posts on other forum for material to have a go, personally I think that can be crossing a line and there is a difference from seeing them post in motors and telling them they have a **** car and seeing that they have posting in PI/LTI/Parenting/lgbt and having a go at based on the content there.

Those forums are considered sharing and suportive forums and I do think material from there there should be verboten.

I know what put me of posting in the 'dome would be stuff dragged in from those forums.

If PI and LTI are out of bounds then LGBT and Parenting should be due to the nature and topics of those forums, that would be my reasoning behind it.

I do think that ItsThatManAgain was at a bigger disadvantage then she should have been with posters doing that and honestly the standard in the 'dome must have slipped if ye couldn't think beyond the fact that person was trans. Talk about fish in a barrel,
    where is the inventiveness and imagination gone.

I'm stuck now because although I agree with everything you've said there, I also agree that a poster shouldn't be able to come into a thread and, say, post information about others from certain fora, but hide behind a ruling that states that their particular issue can't be used.

When we remove someone from the dome, we ban discussion of them and we ban them. If you can't be slagged, then you can't slag.

To be honest I'm thinking now that maybe it's better if we leave things the way they were.

I propose to leave the amended charter in place for the time being, but to judge each case on it's merits.

I would also point out that the four forums included all have anonymous posting. I would suggest that if people don't want others to know certain things about them, they should post anonymous until they are ready to accept a bit of static about it.

The case we're discussing is an unusual one and I doubt it'll happen again, but if it does, we'll try to handle it fairly to all concerned - both the injured party and the dome regulars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I dont see how the OP can post a pic of someone from a private forum and then complain when a private pic/info of them has been used. I mean, if you have a public Bebo page then you're fair game?

Kiera wrote: »
    I dont see how the OP can post a pic of someone from a private forum and then complain when a private pic/info of them has been used. I mean, if you have a public Bebo page then you're fair game?

I would agree. If you link your boards profile to your bebo page, I would consider most - not all - but most of the info on that page fair game. No real names tho. And no referencing anyone not in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think that people always have more then one issue and more then one quirk and thinking the only thing you can slag a trans person over is being trans shows a lack of awareness and imagination and I honestly think the 'dome regs are a talented bunch and the less oblivious burn can be a lot better.

With the inclusion of T in the LGBT forum the site is going to get more T posters and they shouldn't be secluded off to that one forum but I do think it would be bad forum to bring up them being trans to undermine them posting in other forums.

I know the rules in the 'dome are a hell of a lot different then the rest of the site, I read it a lot, cheers me up no end, but there are certain rules and fair enough a person has the right to get out of the kitchen if they can't handle the heat but if your gonna have certain forums ruled out there should be parity.

just my 2cents

• Advertisement

I think that people always have ore then one issue and more then one quirk and thinking the only think you can slag a trans person over is being trans shows a lack of awareness and imagination and I honestly think the 'dome regs are a talented bunch and the less oblivious burn can be a lot better.

With the inclusion of T in the LGBT forum the site is going to get more T posters and they shouldn't be secluded off to that one forum but I do think it would be bad forum to bring up them being trans to undermine them posting in other forums.

I know the rules in the 'dome are a hell of a lot different then the rest of the site, I read it a lot, cheers me up no end, but there are certain rules and fair enough a person has the right to get out of the kitchen if they can't handle the heat but if your gonna have certain forums ruled out there should be parity.

just my 2cents

speaking for myself, I certainly appreciate the spirit of what you're saying and broadly agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I think that people always have ore then one issue and more then one quirk and thinking the only think you can slag a trans person over is being trans shows a lack of awareness and imagination and I honestly think the 'dome regs are a talented bunch and the less oblivious burn can be a lot better.

Actually, this feedback thread was initially nothing to with the trans issue, if you check the posting times.
    It was to do with a bebo profile entry saying he kissed a member of the opposite sex. That was all. It was that innocent.

The trans thing only came to light when this thread was created and I think we all predicted he was going to blow up and got the last few digs in while he called for us to be banned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Quote me post where I state I want people banned. I never even seen the initial post in question until there was a mention of it here.

Quote me post where I state I want people banned. I never even seen the initial post in question until there was a mention of it here.

So you didnt post a pic in the Dome of someone from a private forum?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Yes I did. But I can't remove it now can I?

• Advertisement

Nope, but the mods can. What made you think that was ok? It was in a private forum!

Ignorance I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Load of nonsense IMO.
    If you post in the dome then you should expect to have every single one of your boards posts trawled for material as well as any networking sites you're daft enough to link from your boards profile.

P.S. For the record, I'm not a suicide bomber and I've never murdered innocent civilians. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

P.S. For the record, I'm not a suicide bomber and I've never murdered innocent civilians. :mad:
    Surrrrre you're not!

What's next, a disclaimer for the 'dome?

"Yes, I understand and agree that my posts may be trawled and used against me in the 'dome. I also give permission that posts I make in LGBT and Parenting may be used in the 'dome. I do not give permission for my posts in LTI to be used against me"

And so on.

If it aint broken....

Advertisement