Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CHANGING A COMPAG FRAME TO SHIMANO?

• 03-07-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm interested in buying a bike with has all compag components but I want to put me shimano components on it instead. Should I encounter any problems?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

trailbiker wrote: »
    I'm interested in buying a bike with has all compag components but I want to put me shimano components on it instead. Should I encounter any problems?

thanks
    Yes, the switch from highly superior campag to shimano can be seriously detrimental to your health.

Seriously though, there shouldn't be any problem except for possibly clamp sizes for the new frame.

what campag group will be on the new bike and what are you planning on doing with it once it's off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Can you not just buy the frameset? It might cost you a bit more than it's worth to sell on the Shimano parts. You will also need a new freehub or possibly even new wheels if you can't swap the freehub.

What bike is this anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trailbiker

abcdggs wrote: »
    Yes, the switch from highly superior campag to shimano can be seriously detrimental to your health.

Seriously though, there shouldn't be any problem except for possibly clamp sizes for the new frame.

what campag group will be on the new bike and what are you planning on doing with it once it's off

What about the bottom bracket?
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Can you not just buy the frameset? It might cost you a bit more than it's worth to sell on the Shimano parts. You will also need a new freehub or possibly even new wheels if you can't swap the freehub.

What bike is this anyway?

I've to ask him about this but I'm not hopeful. I doubt he'll want to be left with the groupset. I prob either sell it on or keep it for another bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

nope, just make sure the frame you have has the same as the new one, it will probably be either english or italian but both groups will have a bb to suit both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I may be misunderstanding your question about the bottom bracket but if you are asking whether a Campag bottom bracket is compatible with a Shimano chainset then the answer is a qualified no. It's qualified because it depends on the age of both - if both parts are fairly old and use a square taper axle then they will be compatible, but if either part is anything less than several years old then they almost certainly won't be compatible. For example, on the Campag side I think that "Ultra-Torque" chainsets are standard across the full range of Campag groupsets these days and these are very much Campag specific. If you were asking about the frame compatibility though, then as already mentioned the frame should be generic and should be able to take any manufacturers's bottom bracket - with the possible exception though of a frame built for a BB30 bottom bracket as off-hand I am not sure if Campag produce a bottom bracket to fit that shell.

Something else to bear in mind is that Campag and Shimano require different tools for installing/removing the likes of the bottom bracket and the cassette, so if you are doing the swap-over work yourself you may have to budget for a couple of extra tools. And if the Campag groupset is an 11-speed then there seem to be only two chain splitters (that I am aware of) that you can use to re-join the chain after splitting it and both are pricey - Campag's own tool is 140euro or so, Park Tool sell two tools to do the same job whose combined cost amounts to nearly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

doozerie wrote: »
    I may be misunderstanding your question about the bottom bracket but if you are asking whether a Campag bottom bracket is compatible with a Shimano chainset then the answer is a qualified no. It's qualified because it depends on the age of both - if both parts are fairly old and use a square taper axle then they will be compatible, but if either part is anything less than several years old then they almost certainly won't be compatible. For example, on the Campag side I think that "Ultra-Torque" chainsets are standard across the full range of Campag groupsets these days and these are very much Campag specific. If you were asking about the frame compatibility though, then as already mentioned the frame should be generic and should be able to take any manufacturers's bottom bracket - with the possible exception though of a frame built for a BB30 bottom bracket as off-hand I am not sure if Campag produce a bottom bracket to fit that shell.

Something else to bear in mind is that Campag and Shimano require different tools for installing/removing the likes of the bottom bracket and the cassette, so if you are doing the swap-over work yourself you may have to budget for a couple of extra tools. And if the Campag groupset is an 11-speed then there seem to be only two chain splitters (that I am aware of) that you can use to re-join the chain after splitting it and both are pricey - Campag's own tool is 140euro or so, Park Tool sell two tools to do the same job whose combined cost amounts to nearly the same.
    The bold is only true for c. 1995 lever components. Axle lengths and tapers are different from shimano to campy post c. 1995. Campag do have BB30 adapters for ultra torque bb

Advertisement