Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ttc: low progestrone

• 03-07-2010 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi guys,
    this has probably been discussed numerous times but i am looking for advise/thoughts etc
    ttc for 13 months now without any luck. i had my bloods done 2 weeks ago at around the 21 days and my hubby also had a sperm analysis done.
    results in today and doc said that i had a low progesterone level, 8. this seems extremely low to me as you need 30 or more as far as i am aware.
    also hubbys sperm had a high level of sperm however a lot of them were abnormal sperm!
    feeling really low at the minute and not very optimastic given the results we just got.
    doc wants to do another set of bloods and sperm analysis however i have to wait another 3 weeks approx for this(day 21)
    anyone else had a similuar experience or going through the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hi there, try not to panic. A progesterone level of 8 is low but can easily be treated. There a many different types of drugs so your doctor will make a decision on what suits you best. He is probably asking for a second set of bloods to see if there is a pattern or if this cycle was just a one-off!
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Hi there Mollysmam,

I recently tested for low progesterone too and am going to an RE in a few weeks. I've read up a lot about it and the info is interesting. For example I found a website that suggests progesterone fluctuates all the time so it can be low on the day of the test, but not low enough on an ongoing basis to cause fertility issues. Only a test every day of your cycle would identify this though.

I don't know much about progesterone other than it's what softens the wall of the uterus so that the fertilized egg can implant. If you are a typical spotter like me, between ovulation and your period, then yes you probably have low prog. It is easily treated though, your GP can prescribe Provera (think that's the name) and it can be taken in a suppository form or a cream that you rub in to your lower belly. some women, when they get pregnant, use it at the very beginning for a few weeks, to ensure that there is an optimum progesterone supply.

Usually low prog is a sign that you are not ovulating properly, since progesterone surges after ovulation. Increasing estrogen in your body promotes ovulation, hence drugs such as Clomid exist. If you don't ant to go down the drug route yet you can increase you estrogen naturally by increasing your intake of dairy products.

these foods contain natural estrogens:

Beans/legumes: black-eyed peas (cow peas), chickpeas, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, red beans, soybeans and soybean sprouts, and split peas.

Fruits: apples, cherries, dates, papaya, plums, and pomegranates.

GRAINS: barley, hops, oats, brown rice, and wheat.

Herbs and spices: clover, garlic, licorice, parsley, and sage.

Seeds: alfalfa, anise, fennel, flax, pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower.

Vegetables: beets, carrots, celery, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, potatoes, rhubarb, tomatoes, and yams.

these foods should be avoided as they reduce /lower estrogen:

Fruits: berries, citrus, figs, grapes, melons, pears, and pineapple.

Grains: buckwheat, millet, tapioca, white rice, and white flour.

Vegetables: broccoli, cabbage, corn, green beans, onions, and squash.

Hope this helps. ;)

p.s. I've also read that anything over 10 is ok

Advertisement