Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jungle Drum Sounds...

Options
  • 03-07-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me where I can buy some really good jungle drum sounds, or what samples I should be after (single samples for me sequencer). I'm trying to recreate that "Dark Drum & Bass" vibe - much like Ed Rush & Optical. Well, I'm actually trying to fuse it with some punk/metal music. I know, it's weird, but I really like both genres. :)

Thanks in advance, G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

808 Drums are the traditional basic set used for jungle - the subby bass drum being the main one... really tight/small hats in there also.

The snare can be 808 or an acoustic sample.

There's a classic break called the 'Amen break' and you can cut that up and use the components to make rhythms.

A lot of acoustic drum sounds are mixed in also, real ride cymbals is one sound that sticks out.

Basically search for Jazz drummer samples and tear them to pieces lol.

For darker sounds, just add some overdrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

old funk loops, recycle them, speed them up and re-pitch some snare rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr. Grinder

Thanks guys!

Okay, here comes the big silly... Do you know where I can get some 808 samples? :o

Many thanks, G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Thanks guys!

Okay, here comes the big silly... Do you know where I can get some 808 samples? :o

Many thanks, G.

There's loads online for free. Just google free 808 samples and you'll be sorted.

http://thedeepelement.com/tr808

If you are willing to splash out a little bit some good 808 sets are 808 Drums by Wave Alchemy (http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk) and Tape 808 by Goldbaby.

Both are quality if your looking for a wide variety of hits with different decay times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr. Grinder

Cool, ta' for alll the answers lads. :)

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

If you're going for the Ed Rush & Optical vibe then you're not going to get much use out of an Amen unless you're hi-passing it and layering with a kick and a snare to liven up a break.

Experiment with layering, you're going to want a solid kick that doesn't clash frequencies with your sub or your midrange bass melodies, and a snare that has loads of impact - some people like to layer up to three snares together to get the right combimation of snappiness and attack, I've even heard of people recording a basketball beign bounced off the ground and then being layered and enveloped.

Classic drum breaks for Ed Rush and Optical style stuff would be "the worm", "let a woman be a woman, let a man be a man", "impeach the president", and the "firefight" aka the "sniper" or the "tramen"

http://www.junglebreaks.co.uk/breaks.html

^ there's a really really really useful resource of breaks.

Remember, DnB is sample based music - if you're making sample based music, the first thing you need to do is listen to as much music as is humanly possible and try and use stuff that nobody else has used before, that's half the fun of it; Photek once said that all that you will ever be in DnB is anything you are when you're outside of it, and he knew a thng or two about making music.

Advertisement