Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media player to play bdrip or mkv files

Options
  • 03-07-2010 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Is there any physical media players out there that you can hook up to your tv and play backups of high def movies on that don't cost over 100 euros?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I have this WD media player and it does a good job. Connect the hard drive to USB, HDMI to TV and youre good to go.

Think I paid about €120 in Currys last year so €90 on there is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Thanks for the reply but funnily enough when searching previously that was the only thing I could come across myself.
    I was actually hoping for something a bit cheaper than that.
    When you add in delivery it comes to 100 euros anyway.

I saw something on ebay called the nbox for 30 euros but I'm aware that it doesn't play proper hd content and only upscales sd stuff.
    Is there anything I can get around the 50 euro mark that would play mkv files and bluray rips and doesn't have fat32 file size restriction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gadget.Repair

I think youll have to pay a bit more than 100 to get wat your looking for may 130 -150

I have a popcorn hour a110 and i think it the business but it was around the 200 mark. you should be able to find something on ebay but make sure you get one that can play back 1080p or else whats the point ....

says he who only has a 1080i telly :)

Another thing try to get one with an internal hdd bit more expensive but beats having two boxes beside your telly

We're the same we've only got a 720p/1080i tv aswell.
    I'd be perfectly happy with one that only output 720p and I have a portable usb harddrive already so prefer to just plug that into the media player and the media player without built in memory would work out cheaper aswell I'd say.
    If anyone can come across one that's fairly cheap please let me know.

200 is more than I'd be willing to spend on a media player.

I spotted this thing but unfortunately it doesn't seem to support mp4 which is a shame as xbox 360 does and this doesn't.
    It claims that it plays mkvs but I don't even know if it'd work over here as theres little info on the type of plug or power compatibility.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NBOX-HDTV-HDD-MEDIA-TV-Player-RM-RMVB-AVI-DivX-MKV-FLV-/120576221371?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item1c12e720bb

The Komplett.ie daybreaker may be of interest.

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/site/daybreaker/cms.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

picked an Apacer AL460 Full HD Media Player in Beyond 2000 fo €40

http://emea.apacer.com/en/products/AL460_Full_HD_Media_Player_specs.htm

Great little piece of kit, it just works!

I called beyond 2000 and they don't have the Apacer.
    On ebay its over 100 euros and you have to order it from Taiwan.
    So no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

The following will play hd, and also stream utube off the net. Homebrew for it will also stream utube hd.

The following being what?
    Are you trying to be funny or something cos if so you've failed miserably.

• Advertisement

Oh right thanks for the reply but I'm afraid its a bit more than I was willing to spend and along with converting to euros and postage you're talking over 100 euros for it.
    I did find a media player on ebay for around 50 euros that will do the job so I'm going to go with it.

Postage is free from amazon to Ireland should bring it to 100e. One of the best media players for the price, plays all hd and mkv, also with hd streaming and homebrew features.

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Oh right thanks for the reply but I'm afraid its a bit more than I was willing to spend and along with converting to euros and postage you're talking over 100 euros for it.
    I did find a media player on ebay for around 50 euros that will do the job so I'm going to go with it.

Been thinking about this posting.

You are wanting a media player so you can playback downloaded movies,tv shows etc back on your tv but you want it as cheap as you can get it,

So your prob not willing to pay for any of these downloads etc and your looking for a cheap way to playback these free movies

JUST HOW MEAN ARE YOU ?????

€100 for a good player is cheap anything under is asking a lot, it will prob not playback everything and it prob has no support either

Buy a brand name at least you have some support/ updates

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kevindoolin

I have had the WDTV and WDTV Live.... both will play anything (more or less). When you use modded firmware you can create moviesheets etc which makes the whole movie collection look absolutely fantastic. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

i got the sumvision cyclone mkv enclosure for 106 euro cant remember where from though.theres plenty of them around anyway and its a great little player.i havent found a single video it wont play and its full 1080p.
    i think for the price your looking for you would be better off just hooking a laptop up to the telly with a vga lead and forget about hd:)

I'm not mean at all I just thought I could save a few bob.
    Unfortunately I was silly and wrong.
    I bought a media player off ebay from Hong Kong for 50 euro and it turned out to be terrible.
    I tried playing some standard definition divx files on it and they looked terrible with jaggies all over the picture it looked awful so I sent it back to Hong Kong and I'll be waiting probably about 3 weeks before I can get a refund. I'll also have to try to get a refund from customs.

When I do get a refund I would like to buy a proper media player and I know there's a good few around the 100 euro mark which is fine with me.
    I want something that will play xvid movies and make them look as good as my xbox 360 so it will upscale them and make them look good on an hdtv.
    The WDHD live has had a lot of good things said about it but the problem I noticed with it is it has no buttons on it whatsoever so if you lose the remote you can't do a thing with it.
    I've heard of the asus o play but people have problems with it not having a very sharp picture quality and not playing high definition videos very well.
    Is the IOMega screenplay hd any good?

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I'm not mean at all I just thought I could save a few bob.
    Unfortunately I was silly and wrong.
    I bought a media player off ebay from Hong Kong for 50 euro and it turned out to be terrible.
    I tried playing some standard definition divx files on it and they looked terrible with jaggies all over the picture it looked awful so I sent it back to Hong Kong and I'll be waiting probably about 3 weeks before I can get a refund. I'll also have to try to get a refund from customs.

When I do get a refund I would like to buy a proper media player and I know there's a good few around the 100 euro mark which is fine with me.
    I want something that will play xvid movies and make them look as good as my xbox 360 so it will upscale them and make them look good on an hdtv.
    The WDHD live has had a lot of good things said about it but the problem I noticed with it is it has no buttons on it whatsoever so if you lose the remote you can't do a thing with it.
    I've heard of the asus o play but people have problems with it not having a very sharp picture quality and not playing high definition videos very well.
    Is the IOMega screenplay hd any good?

check this out a friend has one and its goooood .

http:// www.memoryc.com/search.html?q=patriot+box+office+&x=0&y=0

What did the bad player cost in the end including customs, I got stung once before on that would have been cheaper to buy the camera in my local shop !!! :eek:

They charged 9.95 for customs and 6 euros handling fee for the postman to come and collect it so it was 16 euros and the player itself was 50 euros = 66 euros.
    I wouldn't have minded if it was any good but it was crap.

Anyway I sent it back for a refund last week so am playing the waiting game for another couple of weeks and then after that when I've got proof I got a refund I'll be sending the Vat people all the documents I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Anybody have an Iomega screenplay plus media player - after moving into a new flat and there's shíte all channels so lookin to buy one - just wondering does it play .avi files? The guy in soundstore I was talking to earlier hadn't a clue - I know it doesn't play .mkv files but I'll get over that with a converter program.

Any feedback would be appreciated! smile.gif

Wow I didn't know the IOMega didn't play mkv files.That's bad.

The WDTV HD is around the same price and plays MKV files and most other types from what I've heard.

Anyway I'm thinking of getting the WDTV HD but I've seen a lot of comments about sound issues and problems playing sound on MKV files.
    A lot of people have said it only plays sound over digital.
    Anyway if I do get it I'll be hooking it up to a hd ready lcd via component or HDMI and I have analog stereo speakers connected via an amplifier via analog audio out(red and white leads).

Would I have any issues with sound with that kind of setup when using the WDTV HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I went for the Iomega Media Director - twas €200 but it plays mkv, and blu ray files that I have downloaded. It also has an ethernet port in the back that can be used to stream stuff online, my internets down at the moment but if I can stream football matches on it then it'll be money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I don't suppose there's anywhere I can go to get an answer to my previous question. This forum right here seems fairly dead.

Advertisement