Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

1152997508.png
    Nothing to complain about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

same here

1153070429.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I win...:D

1154065151.png

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I win...:D

1154065151.png

nice ping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

1156201841.png

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Condi wrote: »

your speeds are posible but it isnt HSDPA - its HSPA+

heres a basic outline:

3g - WCDMA: 0.5mbps and pings of 300 ms plus
    HSDPA - 3.6mbps max and pings of 150 ms plus
    HSPA - 7.2mbps max pings of 70 to 140 ms
    HSPA+ - 14.4mbps or 21mbps max with pings of 70 to 140 ms. Downloads are dependent on base station and back haul upgrades

Note: speeds are are more accurate on an low contention area with good signal (3 bars or more)

your upload speed should be 4 times what it is though at least...ieither way those speeds cannot be HSDPA....HSPA/HSPA+ would be the protocol me thinks :P

1157378594.png

My speeds have halved recently on speedtest.net but ive noticed that when im downloading a file its been running at 5mbps so im not sure how accurate speedtest is at the moment. Magnet speedtest or another speedtest service might help determine how accurate your speeds really are and to see if three have indeed launched HSPA+ (i saw a brief trial in my area with similar speeds to yours)

if i remember correctly - when the NBS was officially announced it was decided that i-HSPA (basically HSPA) would be the main protocol in use so yep you got it right. HSDPA is a secondary protocol really that you recive if you cant get HSPA but indeed HSPA is the main protocol been used for the NBS

Reception isnt effected by the sim or account that you use by the way...it all comes down to signal, other users on the same cell and most importantly a good modem. Problem is cell range shrinks and sites get contended and thus speeds and latency fail - thats the achillies heel of this technology

1162183040.png

• Advertisement

That cant be HSDPA lol - something aint quite right there plus dashboards of the 3 mobile connect software can be inaccurate at times...did you try using other speedtests out there?

No problem dude - everyones insight and experuience adds to the understanding of the technology and the expereince of the service been used

You should recive the same service mate as far as i am aware...you are using a three sim card even if its pay as you go or NBS. you will have to confirm that but im on the border of an NBS area with an ordinary bill pay account and i get 4-5 bars of HSPA all the time with the rare exception of HSDPA when the weather is lousy

Im sure there will be another person here to either confirm or deny what im saying but as far as i am aware everyone has access to the same single network :)

Vodafone are the only ones that I know of that have a two tier plans out there...one for 7.2mb and another for thier new 21.6mbsp service in the major cities ( i think speed tiers in terms of the mobile networks are an unfair adition to an already muddied and poorly regulated sector of the irish broadband market and thats not taking into the account of the famous "unlimited" termonology)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

speeds arn't to bad.my ping is always good 60-90ms most the time :D

1167514067.png

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭delito

HSPA+ is 21mb and 5.8mb upload i think so i think your modem is compatible but do a google search and see what you find...dont think its live in most three areas...it could be that i was logged on when they were just trialling it for the first time so i think these speeds are going to be very rare for the next year at least...

1129597125.png

E1820 is only one they advertise with 21mb, but I meant is that the one you were using to get these speeds ! LTE is what they are upgrading to IIRC.

delito wrote: »
    E1820 is only one they advertise with 21mb, but I meant is that the one you were using to get these speeds ! LTE is what they are upgrading to IIRC.

HSPA+ is next upgrade planned...LTE cannot be rolled ouy on any commersial basis due to no suitable radio sprctrum been available for it until 2012. My e5830 is 21mbps compatible even tho the three website said different. In task manager and adapter settings it shows it. Ive had that modem for 7 months and only noticed an increase in speed above 7mb recently butnow its back to normal speeds. My b260a router is only 7.2mb capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

In Enniskerry, it's BRUTAL, had to drive down into the village to do this test, page wont even load at home!

[Embedded Image Removed]

Nice ping and awesome upload.....any idea why it wont work at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Something seriously wrong today???:mad:

1180841637.png

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭upaho

1182620062.png

Shop staff appaling in Meteor shop in Blanch, no laptop to test returned stick & pin, couldn't give me a refund without box. Said I didn't want a refund, I wanted something better than dial up. Reluctantly got another stick. Asked what if the sim was the problem. Got another sim. Download up to 0.77Mbs. 20 minutes onto support clones.

Conclusion Meteor are rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

1183308985.png

1183311774.png

1183312898.png

3 speedtests for my 02 Midband, very happy with the results.

• Advertisement

1183397418.png

upaho wrote: »
    1183397418.png

Nice latency and upload...download isnt the worst either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

1183397418.png

That's NOT bad. An extremely low ping with a very decent upload speed. Download could be better but nearly 2mb from Mobile is very decent.

double GG wrote: »
    but nearly 2mb from Mobile is very decent.

That would be great if they were selling it as 1Mbps, unfortunately they're selling it as 7Mbps. That's what I don't understand.

That would be great if they were selling it as 1Mbps, unfortunately they're selling it as 7Mbps. That's what I don't understand.

It says up to 7.2 so the regulator allows the advertising....its wrong i know and i agree with you. But dont expect the regulations to change. With boadband in ireland you really need to do detailed research into each potential provider.

"1183917802.png

Well, I decided to bring it back to Meteor and get a refund. Did one last speed test before I went up to Meteor. The clone looked vaugely in my direction and said "you seem to have used the unit a lot I can't refund the credit, non of the shops can". I pointed out that 500Mb download in 5 day's isn't a lot and loudly asserted my Sale of Goods Act rights. Clone got the picture and did a full refund, including the credit. He said he didn't want me shouting in the shop.

Got video of some of it on my iPhone, you might see it You Tube if I get a chance to upload.

So it's not enough to assert your rights you have to do it loudly!

All in all a really bad experience. They seemed to be the best deal for me but the service, support and download quality are rubbish. Never again.

"1183917802.png

Well, I decided to bring it back to Meteor and get a refund. Did one last speed test before I went up to Meteor. The clone looked vaugely in my direction and said "you seem to have used the unit a lot I can't refund the credit, non of the shops can". I pointed out that 500Mb download in 5 day's isn't a lot and loudly asserted my Sale of Goods Act rights. Clone got the picture and did a full refund, including the credit. He said he didn't want me shouting in the shop.

Got video of some of it on my iPhone, you might see it You Tube if I get a chance to upload.

So it's not enough to assert your rights you have to do it loudly!

All in all a really bad experience. They seemed to be the best deal for me but the service, support and download quality are rubbish. Never again.

That last speedtest would be comparable with eircoms 3 mb service. It is very rare that you ever get above 6 mb or 5 for that matter on mobile broadband. Still that las speedtest posted is good....what kind of service and speeds were you looking for when you originally shopped around mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

My speeds this evening, the good weather must be improving the signal:D

1184630265.png

Different result from pingtest:mad:

36032269.png
    36032505.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Not to bad for Friday evening.

1184652243.png

1184692659.png

• Advertisement